main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hannibal (The TV Series)

Discussion in 'Community' started by soitscometothis, Jan 6, 2014.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Is anybody else watching this?

I ignored it when it was first shown in the UK (not a huge fan of the films,not keen on serial-killer drama in general), but Sky have just re-run the first season one episode a day, and I got hooked.

Mads Mikkelsen is very good in the title role, very charismatic while being quietly menacing (no one knows he's a serial killer at this point), while Hugh Dancy makes for a wonderfully twitchy Will Graham; good support too from Laurence Fishburne as Will's boss, and Caroline Dehavernas (loved her in Wonderfalls) as Will's friend and fellow profiler. Gillian Anderson has a recurring role as Hannibal's psychotherapist.

It probably helped that I was watching an episode a day, but I found this quite gripping. I hear it struggled for ratings in the States, but has managed to get a second season commissioned.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This is definitely not a show you can binge. Frankly, it's quite disturbing (not necessarily the body horror but the mind games). But it's well done. Definitely looking forward to season 2.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I actually had the exact opposite reaction, and ran through the entire series at once when I started watching. I'd held off for a while based on the reputation, but I found it much less disturbing than I was expecting. I quite hope that it manages to keep going through all the many more seasons they have planned for it.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I could have sworn we had a thread on this already, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyways, excellent show. I actually found it easy to watch multiple episodes, given the high serialized nature of some plot lines. Really looking forward to the new season. Hopefully the show will have the longevity the showrunners hope for (I believe they said Season 4 would start adapting Red Dragon's events, for example).

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Indeed they did. They have seven seasons planned out in all:

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hopefully they can work out the Clarice rights by time they get there and/or the Clarice Tv show being developed on that other network won't work out to incentivize them into doing so.

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Dear me, just look at the time!

[​IMG]

Thirteen days now, I'm running back through Season 1 now, on episode 7.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I watched I think the first 4 episodes. It was a bit disturbing so I stopped it for a while, but I'm going to go back and finish it before season 2. Definitely a good show.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Carthago delen--oh wait n/m wrong Hannibal, I'll leave now.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  10. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    There should be a historical TV show about the other Hannibal though, that would be neat.

EssEllGee, definitely do. It just keeps getting better and better. I just hope NBC is ballsy enough to keep it around.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really do hope this gets to run the full course of the story- while the original material so far as been fantastic, I'm quite curious to see how they reimagine the events of the other films.

12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Nobody told me, but apparently Boardwalk Empire's Michael Pitt has been cast as Mason Verger, very cool that they're interweaving things when they should be happening basically.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That news is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to their take on things- if they get to the events of Hannibal, we'll have this long-running "villain" payoff.

14. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    This really kind of seems to be the most sensible way to tell this story, a lot of characters get a lot of backstory, and everything winds up making much more sense/impact with so much lead up given to it. Chilton, Crawford, Verger, Hobbes, Lounds will all be characters important to Will Graham/Clarice Starling later on, so it's cool to see them now....is it possible in that seventh(?) season we may see Will brought back in long after the Tooth Fairy case/the events of SotL/Hannibal? It seems kind of pointless to speculate now since they barely got the second season, but boy would it be fun to see it all.

15. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Not much longer now. Less then 30 mins until the new episode.

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Well. That was some opening.

17. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    This is one of the only shows on TV that I can think of that could be on an HBO or some such channel, good thing that NBC is taking a chance on it,it's that good and "adult." Even shows like Blacklist aren't this disturbing. Hope they keep this around for a while, NBC has balls with this show.

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm working through the first season. It can get surprisingly disturbing for a network show (though I admit I haven't watched any network crime shows for years), but it's good.

One thing bugs me. There is something obviously off about Hannibal Lecter-- if it isn't obvious he's a downright sociopath. As a character mentioned, the Chesapeake Ripper doesn't have some "classic" signs, such as a criminal history and not being able to hold down a job, but come on. It seems really inconsistent that a guy who can almost literally see things from a serial killer's perspective can't see what Hannibal is. How is it that only that one trainee was on to him?

19. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Pretty much everybody's busy dealing with their own ****. Jack is dealing with wrangling Will and dealing with his wife, if you haven't seen the episodes with her you'll soon understand that. Will is somewhat delusional and can't seem to separate reality from fantasy because he's actually deep in Hannibal's mind. It makes him physically and mentally sick.

Plus, Hannibal comes off as intelligent, supportive and downright charming. He'll wine and dine you, invite you over, make beautiful meals for you. Will is suspicious slightly of Hannibal, but he only really serves as his therapist and Will being Will is already pretty suspicious about anyone who tries to pry into how his mind works.

Additionally, Hannibal is manipulating people into doing his dirty work, and there are other serial killers at work which kind of muddies the water.

Is the dramatic irony a bit heavy? Yes, but that's kind of necessary to support the show, and I don't mind it.

20. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    These last two episodes have been exquisite.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, the past few episodes have been... interesting and headed in new directions just when I thought it was starting to connect with the familiar. Everything with Will is just strange but then even before that there's..

the death of Chilton? So, clearly, we're not going to get a direct SOTL adaptation of events. Which is a shame- I would rather have liked to have seen this versions Chilton and Hannibal in that scenario, leading up to the "old friend for dinner" turn of events.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Just seen the first episode of season 2. Good starting.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

Great news, even though the last couple of episodes have been rather poor. Hope it gets back into the groove of the first few episodes of the season soon.