main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Hapes and the NuCanon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    So I was browsing Wookieepedia and I happened to notice Hapes as a canon page. Apparently it's mentioned in the TFA Beginner's Guide or something.

I was more than a little shocked and surprised at this. Anyway it just appears to be a name dropped inclusion and there is no indication it is the same place as legends Hapes.

So what are everyone's thoughts on the issue? Should Hapes have been canonized? Since it is, should the Hapans play as large as a role in the NuCanon as they did in the old Canon?

Here's the Wookieepedia article for anyone interested.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hapes_Consortium

StartCenterEnd and PCCViking like this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It probably just got mentioned as a fun little nod and nothing else really. A lot of things from legends get little nods and mentions if you look hard enough. Ziost is still techinally canon and other places nd such.

3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Yeah I did a thread on this a year or two ago, it whent down hill fast.

4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Hapes (and the Hapes Consortium) have not been recanonized. The TFA Beginner's Game is an FFG product and not canon. (Wookieepedia's error, not yours - they wrongly list the TFA Beginner's Guide as canon for some reason.)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Don't say that too loud! Soon enough, we'll have the, "Well, TECHNICALLY, my uncle who works at Lucasfilm said that it's BASICALLY canon" people at the gates!

Jedi Princess likes this.
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Quickly!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AusStig, BigAl6ft6 and Outsourced like this.
  7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Even if that was canon, it doesn't actually "recanonize" anything. It just says that there is a place called "Hapes" in the galaxy. That's it.

8. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It's mentioned in passing in the Revenge of the Sith novelization, but with no details given. Don't know what the canon status of novelizations is.

9. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    NobelizNoveliare ambiguously canon. Especially ones released pre 2014. The general rule is, they're canon where they align with what's seen on screen. When it comes to the OT and PT novelizations, I'd say the extra details referencing the EU aren't canon.

10. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Like me? :mad:

No but seriously FFG is Schrodingers Canon.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If it is canonized (the old novels are no longer canon), then it should be no more significant than Naboo or Tatooine, and not more than a system.

AusStig likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Well this is where I let my opinions be shared, if they were going to recanonized it it should have been more than obscure name drop in a guide.

Hapes as I have said before was very much integral to the old EU and recanonizing it as a name drop just seems pointless to me.

Also the whole point of Hapes wasn't that it was just a system or planet but an independent political entity and a rich one at that.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Look at how TCW changed Mandalore. And that was before the reboot.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Even so, I find that self defeating and basically source mining to fill up Wookieepedia pages and lore.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't care if Hapes comes back. I just don't want them to be considered a power on the level of the New Republican, Imperial Remnant, even Hutts, Chiss, and Mandalorians.

They are based off an outdated idea from the 1990s. They're the cartoon warrior matriarchy.

With Republic, Empire/FO, and Confederacy/Confederation, you get a sense that these governments represent bigger, persistent ideas that have never and probably will never go out of fashion.

The Hapans just don't fit. They were never a good fit. I liked Tenel Ka. But Hapes was just so mishandled.

16. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Should Hapes have been one of the planets in Bloodlines that Leia went up against? Given the use of old Houses and Royal Families it would have made sense..

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Eh I actually like the way the matriarchal, aristocratic society of Hapes was handled. Is it kosher in today's political and social climate? No. But I love it anyway.

18. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Hapes could have been a really interesting female-centric society used as a counterpoint to say, Corellia or the Empire with all of their macho bluster. Instead, it was always written as a bunch of old bitties.

Back to the point of the post: OF COURSE they're going to end up making it Canon...for all the talk of 'Nu Cannon', they just take some of the 'Legends' stuff, blow off the dust, and say, "Hey, look, it's Nu!" ***cough, Thrawn, Mandalore, cough*** Don't get me wrong, I'm all for incorporating the two realities....but the way they do it rankles.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and Sarge like this.
  19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed, though a lot of matriarchal societies are ruled by the oldest women, so I didn't have a problem with that.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well that was balanced with the Empire becoming less openly sexist... now the Empire isn't a men-only club, but equal-opportunity authoritarian dystopia. With eliminates the need for a "female Empire"

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Hapes isn't an empire, it's an oligarchic monarchy.

Am I the only unabashed Hapes consortium fan?

Daneira and Amon_Amarth like this.
  22. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Speaking for myself, yes.

But only because they were overused and then OOC.

AusStig and Ghost like this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Wait how were they OOC? Also are you saying you are a Hapes fan or are you affirming I am apparently the only one?

24. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I think they became OOC to an extend by brining up some weird plots.
    Like Tenel Ka not being able to marry Jacen due to supposed anti Jedi sentiment, while both Leia and Jaina were considered worthy brides for Isolder and one would think the woman is the more important one in a Hapan marriage as the man is seen as little more than a sperm donor.
    Generally this whole anti Jedi sentiment is kinda silly. The Hapan say that "all men are evil because the Lorell raiders were a bunch of abusive rapists" but then at the same time "the Jedi are evil because they killed these abusive rapists(which allowed us to create our society in the first place)." It doesn't really make sense.

Also I think Hapes was made wayto powerfull for how small it is. It has only around 60 worlds(the Tion hegemony alone around thricec that number) and has been isolated for a long time and is filled with a lot of primarilly self serving nobles. It should't realistically a major galactic power like later authors turned it into.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  25. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Fits into my independent polities post Empire thoughts....

I also like they had their own ships and fighters and not just stuff bought elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.