main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Happy Birthday, E.T.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by DookuIsTyranus, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DookuIsTyranus

DookuIsTyranus Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2001
    That's right folks. The 25th Anniversary is here. The movie opened in the United States on June 11, 1982. I have been listening to the music by John Williams for a little while and may try to watch the movie itself this evening. Post your memories about seeing the movie. Join me in celebrating a huge milestone for a great movie.

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow, I had no idea... thanks for the heads up :D.

I was 8 at the time, and E.T. was just HUGE... Today's kids probably can't comprehend the kind of cultural saturation and dominance of these things... Sure, 'Spider-Man', 'Pirates' & 'Shrek' are successful and heavily merchandised, but like 'Star Wars' E.T. was inescapable.

I saw it twice that Summer and cried each time! I had the t-shirts, the lunchbox, the trading cards and the games... I still have a special place in my heart for it both as a movie and as a time capsule to that place and time (The 'Star Wars' toys in Eliot's room, the Atari 2600 on the TV)... And John Williams' score is fantastic.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't like the film as a kid. Saw it as an adult in theaters during the 20th anniversary and fell in love with this masterpiece.

4. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    "E.T." can lay claim to doing what no other movie can do.

It can make me blubber like a baby without a pacifier at the drop of a hat. :_|

;)

(Now if only the bugger waited two days... Then E.T. and I could've shared a birthday!)

5. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    My gods...I was 11 when this came out...

6. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I was ten. God, how time flies. Seems like yesterday I was watching this thing and geeked out when Elliot brought out his Star Wars toys!

7. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I was ten yrs old too when this film was released. That is THE perfect age to see ET. I detested the choice to take out that shot of the FBI agent holding up the rifle, leaving Elliot's eyes to open wide with fear. That was such a dramatic moment! By the way, I saw Henry Thomas in my local grocery store about a month ago (I live in the Hollywood area). He had his hair down to his shoulders, and was in a hurry, and talked on his cell phone all the way out to his car. And Henry Thomas is the same age us (35).

Fell in love with this movie, and then I joined the ET fan club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.