main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga - OT Happy Life Day! Holiday Fic 2019 Gift Exchange for Raissa Baird

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Nehru_Amidala, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 6

Oct 3, 2016
    Happy Life Day!

A SW 2019 Winter Holiday Story

Written by: Nehru_Amidala

Author’s notes: Happy New Year, @Raissa Baird. I have never written a story these characters exclusively before, but I enjoyed the challenge.

Raissa wanted the following in her story:

Story set in the OT timeline

Life Day presents exchanged “secret Santa” stlye

Ugly holiday sweater(s)

A Loth-cat in an unexpected place

Ezra, Kanan and Hera

No sexual innuendo and just Kanera
    =========
    Looking for a place to hide Life Day presents on the Ghost was getting to a problem. Depending on how early you got your gift shipped from Garel or Alderaan, it could mean the difference between the best hiding places in the galley pantry, or at the worst the cargo hold. Finding lost gifts down there should be considered a prime sport for the Galaxy Olympics. Forget the medal ceremony, just have the qualifying divers jump into a swimming-pool sized cargo hold. The first three people to find the medals would be declared the winners!

However, the ratings might be low for that event. Maybe if they added a time limit or booby traps, then that might spice things up a bit. Then again, it might not. Ezra Bridger was musing about this as he carried the neatly wrapped, if somewhat lumpy package in his arms. Like every year, Kanan and Hera had a theme for gift-giving for the annual Secret Santa exchange. This year, Ezra had drawn Kanan’s name and had been hard pressed to find an ugly sweater his blind master would enjoy. Finally finding one, he had ordered it gift-wrapped (to save time) and it had arrived this morning.

Striding into the empty galley and whistling “Jingle Bells”, Ezra opened the cupboard door…and there was a brown and tan loth cat sitting in the ceramic mixing bowl! How is Moro’s* name did a loth cat get on board, much less the mixing bowl?

Setting down the bowl, Ezra picked the cat up by the scruff of its neck. “How’d you get in here? No cream in there, shoo,” he scolded gently. The loth cat was too cute to scold harshly, and it meowed and purred contentedly. Seeing as it would not move, Ezra managed to get the sweater stowed, but when who should walk in but Kanan?

Hearing the loth cat meow, Kanan asked, “Ezra, why is there a loth cat in the galley? Hera’s going to have a fit! Besides, I need a hiding space for my gift to her.” Ezra shrugged, “Found the little guy hiding out in the mixing bowl.” By now, the loth cat had grown board and left for parts unknown. Reaching into the cupboard, he found his present.

Grinning, he hugged his adopted his son. “Happy Life Day, Ezra. Is it okay if I open my gift?” Ezra nodded eagerly, and he started laughing when Kanan put it on. Using their Force bond, Ezra showed Kanan was on the sweater. It was a neon yellow wool sweater with garishly neon-hued stormtroopers that danced the can-can. The troopers were felt, and their blasters were painted pasta noodles. The metal accents were tinfoil.

Kanan could not help but break out laughing, how wonderfully tacky. Hera heard the laughter and poked her head in to see what was going on.

“Hey, you two. Either of you know why there’s a loth cat on board?”

“No idea, Hera. Found it in the mixing bowl a little while ago.” Ezra showed her where the critter had been earlier, so she decided to give Ezra his gift, as she had drawn his name for the secret Santa exchange. Ezra’s was pleased with his. The sweater was not ugly, but it was not attractive either. The color was dark blue*, darker blue than he was used to seeing. Felt loth-wolves with black glass eyes were running around the midsection, their jaws open with plastic teeth stitched in. The lead wolf was had unusual red triangles* under its eyes. If anything, the look was primitive arts meets arts class at any senior citizen group home. Ezra thought it was awesome.

Now, it was Kanan’s turn to present his gift, and he was blushing. Ezra groaned, “Just give her the gift and kiss her!” Hera blushed when he said this, and shooed Ezra out of the galley. Ezra did leave, just not all the way. Slowly, she opened her package and grinned. Her’s was the best of all. It was day-glo green and red cotton, and it was covered in blinking lights that showed patterns and words. It also played music through the speakers sewn into the bottom hems.*

Hera burst out laughing, “Now, this is an ugly sweater for the ages.” Leaning in, she kissed Kanan sweetly, and he returned the kiss.

“Happy Life Day, Kanan. I love you.”

“I know.”

Thrilled with how everything turned out, Ezra left the couple alone.

Fin
    =========
    Notes:

Moro, the patron diety of Lothal, is of course Moro from 1997’s anime film, Princess Mononoke.

Dark blue is a reference to the color of Ohmu blood from both the anime and manga, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Both Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are by Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli.

The sweater that lights up and plays music was inspired by a similar sweater from the comic strip “Cul de Sac” which used to run in my hometown newspaper, the Washington Post.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Aww, thanks for this cute, fun story @Nehru_Amidala! What a sweet look at our Space!Family enjoying their holiday together. Of course Ezra knows all the best places to hide to presents aboard the Ghost; he probably found most of them when he was hiding from Zeb (or looking for for his own presents :p) I’m sure he was quite surprised to find his perfect hiding place already taken by a Loth-cat; like the Spectres, I’m curious how the little guy got in there! (Maybe he was looking for presents, too!)

Ezra, Kanan, and Hera have really gone all out with their sweaters. It sounds like Ezra added his personal touch to Kanan’s sweater with the pasta and tin foil, and it was thoughtful of him to get a sweater with tactile elements that Kanan can appreciate. Hera’s sweater for Ezra actually sounds pretty cool and I bet the dark blue-black color looked good on him with his blue-black hair. Were the wolves on his sweater inspired by the wolves from Princess Mononoke? And Kanan’s gift to Hera does sound like one for the Sweater Hall of Fame—yeah, go ahead and kiss her, Master Jedi, we all know how you two feel! ;)

You can just tell how much fun the characters have had picking out the perfect sweaters for each other, how much they enjoy seeing their gifts and how much they love one another. And that’s what I really love about the Spectres—they’re truly a family and they show how much they care for each other. Thanks so much for this sweet Life Day tale [:D]

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Game Host star 7 VIP - Game Host

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] Fun novelty type sweaters ;)

AzureAngel2 and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Sweet fun story. Thanks for writing it!

I also like the connection with that very special Japanese animé film, which is one of the best ever.

5. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 6

Oct 3, 2016
    @Raissa Baird and @AzureAngel2

Yes, the wolves on Ezra’s sweater were based on the wolves from Princess Mononoke. I am a major fan of the film, and I have a headcanon that Moro is the principal deity of Lothal.

Related to that, I think the Grysks are actually disguised Skeksis. But that’s another story all together.

AzureAngel2 and Raissa Baiard like this.