main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Haptic Feedback in Black (and a Trenchcoat): The PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Oct 8, 2019.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I will be one of those launch day purchasers for sure, just like I was with the PS4. But since I don't wanna wait until Christmas, I guess next year I'll just ask people for money. So I can pay myself back for my PS5 purchase :p

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Probably not a launch day but definitely an early adopter. Honestly, the fact it can play PS4 games is huge so since I'm a playstation plus member I can just DL my save files, reinstall the PS4 stuff. Pretty sure that'll be how it'll work. Hopefully. But PS4 games and finally this is an Ultra HD Blu Ray disc player just sold it for me. So I guess I'll enjoy my PS4Pro for about 2 and a half years total, probably the shortest I've had with a system, but this is extra version plus the Ultra HD disc player is what sells it for me.

random semi-related news, Reddit has forums on Playstation 1 Playstation 4, Playstation 5, etc. And if you go down the line they have Playstation 7, Playstation 9 and more. The best is finding the forum for Playstation 100 (It's Only about 700 Years Away)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I have both the PS3 and PS4 on my TV stand. If I knew at launch that the PS5 would be 100% backwards compatible with all PS4 games, I'd shelve my PS4 from the stand and just replace it with the PS5 while keeping the PS3; and of course I'd get the console at or around launch day. If not, I can wait; and just shelve the PS3 as I hardly play it anymore.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I know they're saying it'll be PS4 compatible at launch, which I believe it will, but I'm having terrible flashbacks of when the PS3 was compatible with PS2 games at launch and then it wasn't anymore. Probably much different technology eras now to be fair but that's why I'd want to get one of the 1st gen PS5's incase they take it away like the PS3/PS2 did. (fun fact, you can play PS1s on the PS3 though. and the PS2! But I have literally a PS2/PS3/PS4 all hooked up to the same TeeVee currently hahaha. PS2 is rockin the old school coax adapter, gotta use it for something.)

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The thing about PS3/PS2 compatibility that makes it different from this time around is that architecture changes meant there was literally just a PS2 in your PS3, then they cut that to save costs and get the thing working better. By contrast everything these days is so similar that you kind of have to go out of your way to make backwards compatibility not a thing.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Is it supposed to play all PS disc or just PS4?

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The latter, but there have been recurring rumors for the last few years that they're fiddling around with getting older stuff running. Wouldn't base a purchase on that assumption, though.

solojones likes this.
  8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I’m so damn attached to my 2&3 I still wouldn’t get rid of them but the 4’s I have...bye bye.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I mean, all those titles are things I'm looking forward to. But I'll also be done with all of them by the time the PS5 launches next holiday season. So I don't see how they affect whether I get a PS5 at launch or not. I absolutely will, as I'm sure there will be some good launch games they haven't told us about.

I will just have to also keep my PS4 Pro plugged in for a while because there are still older games on there I want to play, if backwards compatibility isn't fully working yet for PS5. Which sucks, it really does. Long-term they absolutely need for as many PS4 games as possible to play on PS5. But there will also be PS5 exclusive games, and I'll still want to play those regardless.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    To be honest it won't be BC or the lack of that determines my buying a PS5. What will have rather more sway are how the big companies are conducting themselves.

Gaming has changed a lot over the last five years. On the one hand, there are some incredibly well built and designed game worlds, on the other some very dodgy business practices that threaten to eclipse all the good stuff.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah but rarely are those two meeting, you know? Sony's big exclusives like Last of Us, Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon... none of those have any microtransactions or loot box crap. So I think we can rest assured they know this is part of what people like about them, that they're story-focused single-player games. Sony has really dominated in that arena lately and I hope that will be continuing into the PS5 era. At least, I definitely trust them the most of any game producer to do so.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    This is about the exact same comments you posted about on the previous page, just with a more clickbaity headline. [face_dunno]

Ramza likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the only effect will have would be on if 2020 titles have one multi-generational release or separate platform releases (and how that might market compared to whatever XB does next). And, worst-case scenario, they can just do the XBO's form of "backwards compatibility" and make some sort of tweaked download/virtual console hybrid version available for games on a title by title basis to cover the major ground.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, Sony have led by example there and been rewarded by gamers.

It's the EAs, Activision, even Ubisoft screws up on it where I have to be more selective. I'm pretty good at evading the corporate crap, I'd prefer to not have to do it.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ubisoft in fairness while they include a type of lootbox in the AC games, it's very out of the way and by no means necessary to get good stuff in the game. Plus it's just for a single player game, so I don't know why anyone cares to spend for cosmetics there. If they do then, er, power to them I guess. It's when those things affect gameplay that I have a problem with it (looking at EA and Activision there).

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ubisoft are a strange one, they've pretty much got it mostly right on the AC games but it's all currently kicking off with Breakpoint - it's odd they can go from one pole to the other.

AC Syndicate was pretty blatant with the cash invites, they clearly got the message and more or less buried it in both Origins and Odyssey, it's there but you have to go looking for it.

solojones likes this.
  18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm probably just a Sony lifer at this point, too many Japanese companies I love release just a hair too many things exclusively for Playstation. I enjoyed my old Xbox 360 but MS's exclusives just don't do it for me.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah Xbox is definitely not for the Japanese game fan.

20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    solojones likes this.
  21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    That would be insane. Though it would be nice if everything digital I bought on my PS3 (some PS1 and PS2 games) would work on the PS5. Microsoft did cover several Xbox games too, but not sure if Sony would go that far. Well, the PS5's launch line-up (or rather, the last few big PS4 games which will probably be released on both systems) will give it enough momentum for a while.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That would be aaaaamazing. Think about actually being able to replay Mass Effect!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Jedi Ben and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Imagine replaying the end of Mass Effect 3, with an upscaled resolution!

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, the revised ending was fine and I'll fight anyone about it*

*no I won't. I hate arguing about this crap.

Bacon164 likes this.
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I have plenty of PS1, PS2, and PS3 physical games all sitting on the shelf that I haven't played in years. What's great is that I have the Final Fantasy games that were remastered on the PS4 on the older systems; so if I had the desire to replay them again I wouldn't have to buy the newer versions.