main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Haptic Feedback in Black (and a Trenchcoat): The PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Oct 8, 2019.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It actually kind of is? At the big budget level the first two weeks are key, and in terms of sales it's probably concerning because FFVII and Cyberpunk are definitely "competing" titles given their theoretical target audience. There could be a problem.

But I don't own stock in either company so it's sure as **** not my problem. :p

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Chewgumma likes this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    As long as FFVII does well enough to continue remaking the rest of the freaking game, I don't care about the sales. But I don't think that will be a problem.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Even putting aside my disdain for GaaS titles, which Avengers is confirmed to be, I think what little gameplay we've seen from the title has looked pretty bad. Like, look at the frame rate in some of the footage in this game overview that they put out a couple of months ago.

It looks like it's dropping into frame rates as low as the teens, especially that shot of Iron Man shooting a giant robot. I know a lot of people don't care about frame rates, but I don't recall the last time marketing material put out footage that looks so rough. If they couldn't get the game running smooth and shiny for PR purposes, then I hesitate to think what the state of the development code looks like.

Honestly, there's a lot of titles coming out this year that I just don't see running well on the current generation systems. Avengers, Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs III etc. are all games that feel like cross-generation titles, with the current gen offerings being the versions that run so badly on the hardware that you have to wonder if they're even worth playing.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Well the problem is that given it's an episodic game, who knows how long it will be before that second part is released? This delay alone will more than likely keep most people from pre-ordering the second part; at least without some insane bonuses.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll echo that the release date definitely matters. Games crash and burn based on release timing (it seems most gamers aren't like me and don't wait until the next decade to play games that come out in a given year ;)). And they're both RPG games with anime/cyberpunk elements, so there's definitely some crossover (even if they're different kinds of RPGs).

I think one of the Titanfalls were a recent example of a big title not doing so well because it hit at the same time as COD or BF or something. And I feel like there's another notable title mentioned on a lot of podcast discussions that was high profile that had the misfortune of coming out the same month as a surprise megahit of some kind which really hurt that company and title

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh but maybe the delay until September is so they can fix things like framerates in Avengers. And I do have a Pro, so that will probably help some (I usually put it in performance mode over trying to get higher pixel count). Personally I believe they'll get it worked out. And yeah I know there's a GaaS element, but Destiny is getting a little stale to me so I wouldn't mind something different my bro and I can play (once we're caught up on ESO).

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I was referring to FF7, not Avengers. Moving Avengers was probably pretty smart. March-May this year is insanely packed. Any AAA that doesn't deliver 100% will get murdered.

MERRDERRED!

[​IMG]

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Oh sorry I was replying to Chewgumma about Avengers. I agree about FFVII being bad timing now.

In fact, I'm going to cancel my pre-order. I won't have time to play it now before Cyberpunk comes out. Which means I'll be playing FFVII in the summer instead, and it'll probably have a price drop by then. So yeah, not paying full price for a game I'm not going to play right away anymore.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The fact that it's not even the whole game should be reason enough not to pay for it, as far as I'm concerned.

10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah, I suspect that FFVII:R is going to end up being a cross-gen game. In which case, the next gen version is probably going to be released as both halves being bundled together.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh, I think with the additions they make it probably will be a full game's worth of content though.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I wouldn't count on a price-drop of FFVII: Remake until at least the Fall. April is already just a stone's throw away from the Summer. And the thing about the competition between that game and Cyberpunk; if SE only had the newbie walk-ons to rely on purchasing the game, there'd wouldn't be much competition given all the hype that Cyberpunk has been getting and the apparent rave reviews on those who've played it. But of course SE has more than two decades worth to build up the nostalgic fanbase in anticipation. I don't think they're worried.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I probably won't buy it because I suck at turn based.

14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's not really turn-based the way the original game was. It's almost like a hybrid turn-based/action battle system.

Jedi Ben and solojones like this.
  15. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    The FFVII remake might as well just get cancelled, because the only remake of 2020 that matters is coming in hot, with no delays, and is looking S.T.A.R.S. (Super Terrific And Rather Special.)

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No more RE remakes please. I loved where 7 was going. 2Make was okay until it introduced an utterly obnoxious gameplay mechanic.

17. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    RE2make was a sublime title all the way through, and could only have been made better, and scarier, with a cameo from one of last year's other best games.

[​IMG]

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's like what, the 5th or 6th remake of a Resident Evil game?

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I personally enjoy these RE remakes. Not because I play them, but because I love horror movies and I just watch no commentary playthroughs of the games and it's like watching a long, good horror movie.

I went ahead and canceled my FFVII Remake pre-order. I just won't have time to play it until at least the summer, or whenever there's a sale, whichever comes first. Sorry, but Cyberpunk 2077 wins this round for me.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The whole game would fit on a single BR with space to spare. This new version? Supposedly half of it is on 2 BR discs. Suggests a rather major expansion.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've heard estimates from fans that, given how much of the original game is covered in FF7R, the whole project could concievably be 4 or 5 installments long if they expand upon each stretch to the same extent. Which would make this project probably extend not only into PS5 generation but the PS6 era as well.

Of course, I've never played FF7 (I still have the TV spots memorized, however) so I can't really speculate further. However, it does seem like the type of project aimed at me given that by time i actually get around to finishing this first installment, the next one might actually be out by then ;).

Off the top of my head, the first REmake was on GCN and that later got an HD port to the current-day consoles so not really a remake. I forget if RE2 & RE3 were just ports or actual remakes on GCN. RE4 got ported to Wii with the wiimote controls, so that's more of an upgrade than a remake. And I think the well-received 3DS titles (Revelations?) got ports to Wii U (and, I assume, other consoles). Now, REmake2 & REmake3 with REmake4 seemingly a forgone conclusion at some point (reminds me, I should really pop in that RE4 GCN disc at some point since I did pick it up on launch day, lol).

22. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    @solojones With the FFVII pre-order cancelled, I suggest replacing it with a pre-order for that other game that's dropping in march.

[​IMG]

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The bottom line about FF7R is that the first part takes place in the section known as Midgar. In the original game, that was only part of Disk 1; taking about six hours to play all the way through. The remake expands on that section to blow it open to almost 60 hours. That's a full game alone, and longer than many similar games out there. There's no way of knowing how many installments there'll be.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Re: resident evil

Been lots of ports, transfers and remasters but I don't think there's been many remakes. Those are more major undertakings.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Yeah, Midgar is the only part of the game i have any real awareness of just because it's focused on so much in the trailers and animated spin-offs, as well as, obviously, the Smash level. Well, that and that someone named Sephiroth will appear to One Winged Angel. But, hey, that's more than I know about VIII- and I own action figures from VIII ;).

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.