main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Haptic Feedback in Black (and a Trenchcoat): The PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Oct 8, 2019.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Pft, I've seen Advent Children enough times to know FFVII even though I've never played it.

As for Doom Eternal... not a bad idea. I didn't play the first one, but I watched my bro play most of it when he was visiting. I'm not generally one for story-less games, although that one's pure gameplay did look awesome. BUT I might wind up just using March to finally play The Witcher 3.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Advent Children only touched up on the surface of the original story. If you didn't play the game itself, I'd imagine you were left scratching your head at who the heck that weird black-haired guy was Aerith at the very end.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    @The2ndQuest That’s more than I know about FFVIII and I’ve played that game three times. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Resident Evil 3 is only, well, the third remake in the franchise.

And the first remake was on the Gamecube, so it's not as if Resident Evil has been flooding the market with remakes. It's pretty obvious that the remakes of 2 and 3 were in development alongside each other, and are probably taking advantage of the fact that the original versions shared a lot of art assets between each other.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I've never played Resident Evil 3

I do feel like I'm missing out, but I'm struggling with RE2 as at 41 I've now become an utter coward, I don't know if I'll risk RE3

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, to be fair RE2 Remake, just based on the vids I've seen, is terrifying. It looks amazing, but probably not for me. (Although, there does seem to be some quite nifty assist options.)

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm still stuck in the nearest safe room after Mr X arrives.

I love/hate the game

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The last few months before E3 are sure going to be busy for Playstation 4, and I'm sure Sony will be building up PS5 hype during those months too.

I was wondering if they would bother with E3 again, but guess Sony really will be following Nintendo's lead and doing their own thing. Funny how that'll kind of just leave E3 to Microsoft but then E3 isnt' what it once was either. Well, even last generation I think both companies had their big introduction (of the PS4 and Xbox One) well before E3 anyway.

Hopefully no more game delays. Even though Sony and Nintendo don't have conference shows anymore, they still structure their news schedule around the event a bit.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The last time E3 meant something to me.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    solojones likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, Nintendo doesn't skip E3- they just don't do a live press conference anymore, in favor of a digital presentation. But they still have a huge showfloor area, live stream from there all week long, hold tournaments and structure their announcements during all of those events (and get anything else out of the way during a Direct a few weeks ahead of time ;)). So, it's not quite the way Sony totally skips the event.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nintendo's probably got the right approach for the time being, honestly. MS is never going to move away from live presentation owing to the whole "Microsoft Theatre" thing, but putting out a controlled series of announcements and some direct engagement stuff for the fans is an okay balance.

That said, it's weird to discuss "correct" approaches to E3 given that it's oft-rumored death spiral seems to actually be occurring this time.

Chewgumma likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That data breach they had last year didn't help E3.

solojones likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's slightly overestimated in the narratives - it's a loathsome reality, but corporate partners losing faith in their lobbying arm and pulling out of the conference is way more of a damper on E3 than any amount of ****ing over journalists through incompetence could ever be. The latter just becomes part of the broad mosaic of the ESA being worthless.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Chewgumma likes this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Could this be the legitimate news from Sony we've been waiting for?

Backwards compatibility is such a major feature that games from all 5 PlayStation platforms (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, and PS4) will be compatible with PS5, making it an “ultimate PlayStation console,” putting an emphasis on past and present gaming. More details about backwards compatibility will be discussed at a later date, especially at E3.

If you thought you were excited about the PS5 before, wait until you see the latest leak

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, it's an alleged leak from 4chan, so no. :p

Like, even if it's right there's a 70% chance it's only right on accident.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Chewgumma likes this.
  16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Don't kill the messenger. I just got excited on any recent word regarding backup compatibility with PS1-4 on the new console.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I mean, I don't trust a 4chan leak really. Especially one that says we'll hear some of this stuff at E3, because then it means this person apparently didn't know Sony wasn't going to E3, which kinda calls into question their supposed sources.

Of course, backwards compatibility to all PS games is the dream. But I don't want to get too excited until it's more than a dream.

Jedi Ben and Chewgumma like this.
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    As I've said before, confirmation from Sony that the new console will be able to play the physical PS1-4 disks will be enough to put down for pre-order.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, I don't blame you for your excitement, it's just one of those claims I instantly try to track down a source on... and the source was wanting, to say the least.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
  21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I've read most of the articles from the past regarding the patent for BC; but up until now all Sony has even remotely verified was the potential to play PS4 games on the new console.

Edit: Interesting that the article mentions not all PS4 games will be supported for BC.

And Microsoft has confirmed the new Xbox Scarlett will have BC all the way back to the first Xbox. I can't imagine Sony will figure they'll be competitive just by billing better graphics.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  22. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So sounds Cyberpunk 2077 has been delayed to September now. That's kind of a big delay (way after E3 now). Guess that leaves spring to FF7 and Last of Us 2 (and for me Persona 5 Royal).

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    So to follow up with the backwards compatibility talk, Playstation France seemingly confirms that you should be able to use the new PS5 Dual Shock controller with your PS4 system. Of course, it doesn't actually get into why you'd need to use the new controller for your older system if you already have the PS5 (which is backwards compatible with the PS4).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's not for people who own PS5s, it's for folks who still own a PS4 and need replacement controllers. It lets Sony discontinue the DualShock 4 more quickly.

As for how it relates to the PS5, about all it confirms is that they're designing controllers to continue to accommodate PS4 titles.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  25. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That's more important than the previous statement. I can't imagine a scenario as to why someone might deliberately buy a PS5 controller for their PS4 console; with the knowledge that A) the PS4 controllers will undoubtedly be cheaper than the newer PS5 controllers and B) those people will probably be buying the new system soon anyway.