main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Haptic Feedback in Black (and a Trenchcoat): The PlayStation 5 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba_Fett_2001 , Oct 8, 2019.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No, I agree, but considering they set up the externals such that PS4 games can boot from them, they'd have to change something in either the console OS or the hard drive OS (or both) to stop PS5 games stored to an external from being bootable. And I guarantee you they weren't thinking of these logistics because downloading 60-100 GB of game to reinstall in Japan is kind of a non-issue since their internet infrastructure is so good.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I thought that's the whole point of buying a game DIGITALLY; to be able to access any and all of your games whenever you want without having to reload your disc and/or reinstall the game. If I were a guessing man, I'd say I have at least three dozen games for the PS4; maybe a quarter or so of which are disc while the rest are digital. It's nice just booting up the console right away and playing the game.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    It is. I greatly enjoy having a load of PS4 games on external HDD. I think it'll get there for PS5 but might need a bit of time.

Currently the idea will be that games have to be inside PS5 for the SSD tech to work. But cable transfer speeds are always improving. So it may be possible to run a PS5 game, from an external device, fast enough to tap that but that's for the future. By which time super-SSD will likely come along.

It is possible to expand the internal storage, we just don't know how far and what drives are compatible. I expect both XB and PS5 to drive SSD capacity up and cost and price down. Just a matter of time.

FatBurt likes this.
  4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not optimistic because, unlike with internals, Sony has no control over the external HDs people are using. If it's not an SSD then the fundamental assumption both Sony and MS now use (i.e. "the user definitely has an SSD") breaks down, and no amount of cable speed will help.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think to have any chance of running a PS5 game externally, the HD has to be a SSD but you still probably can't transfer the data fast enough.

As to control, MS have gone the route of custom memory cards but Sony is going to allow third party SSD expansions, so they've already ceded control, at least in the PS5 design.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    That's not all that analogous, an internal SSD compatible with a PS5 is already pretty cutting edge just because of how their architecture is set up. If they could lock it down so every external was bleeding edge and solid state we'd be having a different discussion. :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm pretty much over the edge of my tech knowledge so will have to defer to you on this.

Though, on the whole business of re-downloading games, the speed with which the PS5 chomped through Destiny 2's 60GB PS5 version was quite something.

8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    This is what I have for my PS4; I've had it for several years now. It's expandable for up to 8TB (latest update for the console).

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The Verge does a good job of explaining it here.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    AT - One thing that is hard to convey is how effective the PS5's SSD is. It is a gamechanger.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm thinking about getting a PS5 soon.

Should I?

I really want to play Control: Ultimate Edition or some of the newer games out there that came out after the PS5's debut.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't seek to buy it purely for the handful of PS5 or free-to-upgrade-to-PS5 PS4 games.

Instead buy it for better streaming, Ultra HD capability, boosted DVD and BRs and boosted PS4 games, plus the DuslShock's haptic feedback.

13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Buy for the haptic controller

There are no real exclusives yet but the controller is exceptional.

Good luck getting one though

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Considering I leave the vibration on my PS4's controller off for all of my games (outside of the few times I'm in Red Dead Online and using the vibration to help with collectibles), the haptic feedback of the PS5 controller doesn't really phase me.

15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Haptic is next level vibration.

I love playing Astro and having the vibration tinkle like I'm in the rain or create a dragging feel when I walk through sand.
    The variable resistance of the analogue sticks or shoulder buttons is excellent, playing FIFA and having a tired player makes the controller feel heavy.

It's next level stuff

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I only appreciate the vibration when it actually helps me with the game; not necessarily when it adds to the game's realism.

17. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Fair enough

It obviously does that too but fair enough.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    See I was off for PS4 but absolutely love it on the DualSense on PS5. It's just a different level.

darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I have to agree with FB and Rae - it's very hard to convey just how effective and different the haptic feedback is.

But once you have experienced it? You don't go back to being without it.

MS will be doing their own version of it too.

darthcaedus1138 and solojones like this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart comes out June 11th.

I know many people hate this, but this is one I'm preordering.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Really good to see it get a release date.

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  22. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    As someone who owns physical copies of all the mainline R&C games but has gone digital only this gen... this is one I’m preordering twice.

Jedi Ben, TrandoJedi and solojones like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Only game I've bought a physical copy of in the last few years is Madden 20, just because I wanted the Patrick Mahomes cover. Can't believe a Chiefs player made it to Madden AND broke the curse by winning the SB that year. Legend.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I find it hard to believe Ratchet & Clank will be the victim of being a unpolished mess, they are usually pretty good out of the gate. I've been playing the first one for the probably 10th time but this time on my Vita in a attempt to play them all before playing Rift Apart. Of course I need to acquire a PS5 first but I'm in no hurry.

Jedi Ben and solojones like this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah my experience with Insomniac has led me to full confidence in them. Miles Morales just this year was *chef's kiss*