main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hardest part about writing

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Aftermath, Feb 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't know about anyone else, but my hardest obstacle is avoiding being bogged down in my own ideas. I have too many stories I want to explore (not all of them fanfics) and not enough time. I have a hard focusing on one idea and running with it. No matter what I try, so other plot bunny lures me back.

So what do you think is the hardest part about writing?

2. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    I'd definitely say it's either fighting real life for the time to write or trying to find the inspiration to write when I actually find the time.

Plot bunnies don't give me as much trouble as they do other people, but those scenes that are necessary for the story but aren't as fun to write do!

3. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    My big problem is when I know how I want the fic to start and how I want it to end, but I have no clue what to put inbetween.

4. Kendu_Knight

Kendu_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I'd have to say that my main problem about writing would have to be that I develop a great story, and then I want to change it. I think I have the perfect story right now, and my friend's waiting for the script. Damn, too many ideas...

5. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Hmmm. Well, for me, I'd say it's having what you think is a wonderful story and a perfect, idealized vision of how it all unfolds, but being unable to get your writing skills to yeild that result. You know that feeling - when you know that what you intend to be an emotionally powerful scene really just doesn't cut the mustard. Getting past that feeling, just doing your best and accepting it as is to push on with the story, that is what is the hardest for me.

6. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    I'd say mine is that I come up with a scene or two that would just be great but they make little to no sence by themselves. So to get them down I have to fill in the gaps. Another is that I get too many plotbunnies and if I tried to start them all I'd never get any of them done.

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Coherent, exciting plots without plotholes. Action, action, action... and action scenes are HARD to write!!!

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Time to do it.
    Translating that great idea into something that a reader will understand the same way I do.
    Transition scene's

9. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    Action scenes are hard for me to write, which is why i tend to avoid them. I always picture everything in my head like a movie, and it's hard to translate that into sentences.

10. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Time. I have so little time and so many ideas for both Star Wars and non Star Wars fan fics... *sigh* Darth Real Life SUCKS!!!

11. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Being consistent. I'm terrible about letting some stories lapse (see Worlds Apart) while starting or continuing others...

12. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Time definately...
    I also have a difficult time in translating my vision into coherent sentences. When I write I see it as a movie as Vergere mentioned, and I usually complete it out with music in the background whereas I know the reader may not see the same thing as projected at the time of it's writing.

But I love writing, even when I get writer's block, I'll just work on a different short story. :)

13. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    1. Finding the time.
    2. Getting the courage to post a story...

14. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Actually finishing the story, and not having it just go on and on and on. Then making sure you post it regularly on the boards. Some times if I don't get fb I won't post it all.

15. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Twiddly little details. "Okay, for this plot point to work, I need Obi-Wan to be alone. How do I get rid of Qui-Gon and make it sound convincing?"

Making sure there aren't any plotholes.

Catching the blasted plot bunnies in the first place!

16. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    In my experience, the hardest thing is sticking with one story and running with it. My own writing style just kind of avoids getting into too much description of an area, but I guess you could consider that a hard part. Action is pretty difficult to write, too, at least for a long segment.

17. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yup, action is the hardest for me, and I DO see my stories in my head like films (camera angles & everything!)

But I just try to write on paper, blow by blow and kick by kick what's going on. I started taking martial arts lessons, which helps...

I agree with Jane, those twiddly bits are so annoying! It's one reason why I finish the whole story before I post it, otherwise I get to a critical moment and realize (with horror) that I haven't set it up properly for it to work out and the characters are STUCK. :p [face_laugh]

18. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, on the fan fic I'm writing right now the hardest part by far is trying to decide on a format. I started in third person, then I tried diary format, then I went back and started again in first person, then I finally came out with a conviluted combination of third and first person in the style of Wuthering Heights (if you've read that book and recall it, you'll know what I mean), and now I'm back to possibly doing it in diary format!

This story has been 4 years in the telling, so I have been trying to find the best way to make it shine.

Also, what I find depressing is the fact I get all this inspiration for great SW stories, but if I am correct, Lucas has now basically declared that all SW fiction will be written using his storyline, right? I heard that in the Insider somewhere, and it bothers me that my great novel will never reach it's pinnacle as a novel or trilogy. :(

19. Vergere

Jul 19, 2000
    connemara - I didn't hear exactly what you heard, but fanfiction has always been dismissed. Are you talking about the new AU classification?

20. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    For me, the hardest part is coming up with plausible, original plot ideas. But besides that, I'd say it's when I'm trying to describe a series of events that takes place all within a couple of seconds. Sometimes it's difficult to convey that this and this and this and that all happened in less time than it took the reader to read the first sentence. That happens with my dogfights a lot, and I'm still trying to iron those spots out.

Oh yeah. Dogfights overall are hard too. So maybe I should just wrap it all together and say "action scenes."

-Katie
    Thumper

21. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    As I've seen posted previously, I'd have to say getting all the scenes put together in a coherent, plausible (for the GFFA, anyway) way. I'll come up with Points A, G, S and Z, but getting them together into something resembling a good story is often my downfall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.