main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Dark_Jedi_Kenobi, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Absolutely.

Best part of the movie, right there. Anything involving Sirius in this movie...hell, in all the films he's appeared in...is amazing. Easily my favorite character of the series. His death seemed pretty abrupt the first time I saw the movie...but it definitely resonated more on my second viewing.

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Interesting, I felt exactly the same way. I saw it for the second time last night, and it wasn't nearly as badly shot as I remembered the first time.
    I'm thinking about doing a quickly shot, cheaply made version of how I would've shot the scene. Though boasting that I could probably do a better job than David Yates is probably a tad arrogant.

Instead of a slow motion "glide" into the "veil" after being Avada Kedavared, I would've gone for fast paced Stupefy (the spell used in the book is never mentioned IIRC). The shot would be a wide shot with the side of the veil/archway in the centre. Sirius would've been blasted into one side of the archway, then not come out the other side. *Then* we would have Harry's slow-motion reaction and outburst.

3. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Even more important: Have somebody, anybody, seem to remember that Sirius has died at any point after Harry reaches Bellatrix. Really, the movie just forgets it ever happened. Whoops.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Dumbledore and Luna both mention Sirius' death afterwards.

5. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    question, If I remember correctly from the book, didn't Hermione get hit buy some spell in the battle? Did they not show that in the film? I thought that would of been a good scene.

6. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I didn't (quite) mean literally. It was a (slight) exaggeration. But there's no aftermath, no emotional fallout, and whether or not a few of the characters might remember, I maintain that the movie thoroughly forgets.

-Paul

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, she did. One of the death eaters hit here with something and I think it knocked her out (or something like that).

8. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Yeah, they later found out it was a curse that could have killed her had she not used Silencio on him, forcing him to cast it non-verbally.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Some questions from someone who hasn't read the books. Sacrelige, I know :p

In the photo of the original Order of the Phoenix, I noticed the Potters, the Longbottoms, the Weasleys, Dumbledore, Black, Peter Pettigrew (no wonder Black & Lupin wanted to dust him!), and Hagrid.

Who were the others?

10. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    "There's me," said Moody unnecessarily, pointing at himself. The Moody in the picture was unmistakable, though his hair was slightly less gray and his nose was intact. "And there's Dumbledore beside me, Dedalus Diggle on the other side...that's Marlene McKinnon, she was killed two weeks after this was taken, they got her whole family. That's Frank and Alice Longbottom--"
    "Poor devils," growled Moody, "Better dead than what happened to them...and that's Emmaline Vance, you've met her, and that there's Lupin, obviously...Benjy Fenwick, he copped it too, we only ever found bits of him..."
    "That's Edgar Bones...brother of Amelia Bones, they got him and his family too, he was a great wizard...Sturgis Podmore, blimey, he looks young...Caradoc Dearborn, vanished six months after this, we never found his body...Hagrid, of course, looks exactly the same as ever...Elphias Doge, you've met him, I'd forgotten he used to wear that stupid hat...Gideon Prewett, it took five Death Eaters to kill him and his brother Fabian, they fought like heroes..."
    "That's Dumbledore's brother, Aberforth, only time I ever met him, strange bloke...That's Dorcas Meadowes, Voldemort killed her personally...Sirius, when he still had short hair...and...there you go, thought that would interest you!"
    Harry's heart turned over. His mother and father were beaming up at him, sitting on either side of a small, watery-eyed man Harry recognized at once as Wormtail...

How many of those they actually showed in the movie, I don't know. :p

11. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    They showed all of them in the picture, but only Neville's parents were spoken of...which makes sense. Mentioning all of those other characters has no bearing at all, unless they play some sort of big role later on, which I can only assume that they don't, or they may have been mentioned in the film as well.

12. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Since they didn't mention the Bones', I wonder if they will mention Amelia's death in HBP?
    I can't remember...did the film mention that Susan Bones joined Dumbledore's Army?

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, Amelia Bones was in the movie, even though she wasn't identified. I don't think Susan was, though.

14. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Susan was in the first two movies; she was played by director Chris Columbus' daughter. She hasn't been in any of the other films.

15. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I really want to see it a 3rd and 4th time to match GOF.

16. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    OOTP was definitely better on my second viewing.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Likewise. First time I hated it. Probably because the teenage audience was laughing in the most inappropriate parts.

18. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I just saw it for the first time today, and before anything else, I have to say, lol @ Snape for keeping the same hair style his entire life :p

19. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    32 2nd Weekend. 300 is now out of the question. Winter HP is better, but it's either rush it like SS/COS or stretch it out to 2 yrs which would suck.

20. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    after seeing ootp twice, reading deathly hallows in 8 hours, watching all of the rest of the movies on my dvd player i have decided to make the phrases "a right git" and " a tossed prat" a part of my vocabulary. this in honor of jk rowling.

21. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Saw it for the second time myself today,liked it just as much as the first time. Gary oldman (as mentioned above) is very good in every scene he's in. I"m probably good for another viewing..and that's it.

Good stuff

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My largest problem with this film was that it basically assumed everyone had read the book. For people who just watch the movie, a lot of detail is lost. For example, what happened to McGonagall and Hagrid? Those who read the book know that Hagrid is sacked and escapes while McGonagall is injured and this is the reason why Harry and company go to the fireplace and why the twins leave when they do. The movie took several events and placed them elsewhere (Trelawny). What is most upsetting to me is the disappearance of Maggy Smith. As a first time viewer, one has to wonder where the character disappeared to after confronting Umbridge twice. And then Hagrid leaving as well. This really ticked me off as it appeared they planned for the scene as evidenced by the confrontation scenes with McGongal/Umbridge and Hagrid asking the kids to look after Grawp. Then the lack of Kreacher's lie and Dumbledore's explanation that Snape alerted the Order was pretty confusing if you think about it. The whole movie felt jumbled and cut and pasted here and there. Great scenes from Luna, Umbridge, The Order, McGonagall and the kids. Not so much from Dumbledore and while the acting may have something to do with it, I also blame the director and writers for not toning down Gambon's performance.

23. shiningstars

shiningstars Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2002
    I watched the movie a week ago but I was avoiding the internet until I finished book 7. I didn't really like the movie. The whole movie felt rushed. I guess I shouldn't have read the book right before watching it but I wanted to re-read everything before book 7...

The chapter where Dumbledore tells Harry everything was so important in the fifth book and they barely showed it in the movie. Harry didn't even throw Dumbledore's stuff around! That scene was done badly.

I agree with McGonagall and Hagrid disappearing.

What was with the Death Eaters swirling down in black swirly smoke like things? And the Order came in white swirls! And Dumbledore had his own swirl colour! I thought it was silly. The prophecy wasn't clear enough. I don't think many non book readers will get it.

I really wish Michael Gambon wasn't playing Dumbledore. He only managed the angry part. He makes Dumbledore look too serious, he is supposed to be nutty and powerful. One of the reasons I love Dumbledore is because he is a bit crazy and he failed to potray that yet again. I never liked Richard Harris because he overplayed Dumbledore, and it looked forced like he was trying too hard; and now we have Michael Gambon! He looks agitated all the time! Where is the calm, serene look? the twinkle in the blue eyes we have come to associate with Dumbledore?

Ron and Hermione was reduced to background characters! I did think the DA scenes were fine though. Sirius's death mirrored Gandalf's too much and it didn't feel like Harry missed him even though they added the Luna bit later (albeit changed). Where was the denial? I hoped they would put the mirror as it comes later on. Sirius's death didn't have the same impact on Harry in the movie as it did in the book. Harry took it quite well as if people die around him all the time or as if he didn't like Sirius that much! He was his only parental figure his guardian, his godfather and he seemed ok with him dying quite quickly.

Another gripe I had was Voldemort. He looked comical! He is supposed to look frightening not silly. I am sure he had he tongue out in one scene! I felt like laughing. This is supposed to be the most feared Dark Lord of all time?

I am going to try and watch it again after I have forgotten the book and make sure I don't re-read HBP right before the movie comes out or I'll be criticising everything like I did with OotP

24. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    did you really need the mcgonagall and hagrid gettin blasted scenes? they already showed mcg backing down to umbridge outside the great hall. and if you think about it the story is about harry. and at the end of the film all harry wants to do is get to london; he's hardly gonno need hagrid for that so why show him?

and as for placing certain events elsewhere, trelawny getting sacked as you chose for an example. she still got sacked didnt she?

the kreacher point i'll agree on but after readin the 7th book you'll see that it doesnt matter too much.

the prophecy - what part didnt you understand? the part where the one who has the power to vanquish the dark lord approaches or the part where neither can live while the other survives?
    ron and hermoine being background characters in a film thats called harry potter and the order of the phoenix. umm yeah ok.
    sirius' death mirrored gandalf's? i must have missed the part where sirius fell down a chasm after a flaming balrog or was i not looking when gandalf was hit by a killing curse and went through a veil? oh and as for not missing him. people deal with death in different ways. i mean you talk like harry was skipping and dancing for the whole end of the film.

yes yes i know people have a right to theri opinions yada yada yada. but im sick of people calling this a bad film and giving what IMO are lame reasons.
    lots of love
    -doodie
    -doodie

25. shiningstars

shiningstars Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2002

no no no... the way they held Harry back after Sirius falls ok?:p not Sirius's death, but Harry's reaction mirrored Frodo. And I am sorry but have you read the book? Harry is in denial about Sirus's death - he shouts at Dumbledore, he looks into the mirror and expects to talk to him and he goes to Nick to find out whether Sirius became a ghost. In fact, Sirius's death frees Harry from Voldemort's possession because he was ready to die - and wanting to see Sirius his love freed him.
    It just wasn't depicted well enough in the movie.

Just because it's called Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is no reason to diminish other characters - it's from Harry's POV but Ron, Harry and Hermione form the central characters. Harry is close to other characters and they are important. It looked like no one else mattered. They didn't even call Lupin by name. Are people supposed to get he is the teacher from Prisoner that Harry had a close relationship with? How long does it take to call him Lupin?

I got the prophecy; but it felt rushed and I doubt a lot of non book readers got that Trelawney made the prediction.

I am not saying it's a bad movie but they changed a lot of things for no reason. I did I was critical because I had finished reading OotP again right before watching the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.