main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Dark_Jedi_Kenobi, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    i've read the book more times than i can count as OotP is my favourite. the holding frodo/harry back as they scream their denial is such a common cinematic response to someone dieing that i didnt even make the connection. but now you mention it i see what you mean - with the pulling back the sound and stuff. but i wont acknowledge it as a fault.

as for harry not believing sirius is dead - the way i saw it, in the film, was that the film makers made the choice to change the nature of sirius's death. in the film harry saw bella hit sirius with the killing curse. in the book bella just sunned him and he fell through the mysterious veil. so in the book harry is left with a small bit of hope that sirius is alive. in the film harry knows how final the killing curse is. he's never been able to speak to his parents why should he think he can talk to sirius. he accepts sirius's death as he as accepted his parents'. and on the matter of harry survives Voldemorts' possession due to sirius, that's still true in the film. he only forces voldemort out when he thinks of sirius, ron and hermione and how much he loves them.

Thematically, how was the depiction of ron and hermione different in the film than in the book? the theme for OotP was harry's feeling of solitude and how cutoff he feels from the others. i think the film makes did alright in that respect. they even showed his character's growth from pushin ron and hermione away at the start of the film to him accepting their help when they tell him they're goin to london together.

about the prophecy. the details are clear. the fact that trelawny is the one who made it is insignificant.

i disagree. i feel that every change was made for an acceptable reason. as you might be able to tell i loved this movie. the only thing that i was a little "eh?" about was the flying smoke that everyone could turn into but ive made my peace with it.

-doodie

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Yes actually because it sets off a chain of events. Hagrid gone which leaves Grawp with no caretaker and more importantly Hagrid and McGonagall gone which leaves no Order members for Harry to contact until he sees Snape. And while a smart audience member might realize the Snape did in fact warn the Order, most audience members wouldn't because the big reveal from Dumbledore is cut to shreds.

Looking at the movie, you suddenly see Dumbledore gone, McGongall and Hagrid disappearing and only Umbridge, Filch and Flitwick remaining. On what has been established in previous movies alone, a viewer has to ask why Hagrid and McGonagall would abandon their students to Umbridge? In the previous movie she disciplined Moody and yes she did back down from Umbridge because it wasn't the hill worth dieing on, but after all that happens, she really should have had an explained disappearance. I would have settled for a quick comment from Umbridge saying she canned Hagrid and McGonagall or something. Instead they disappear and leave Harry and friends alone. In the book, there's a valid reason and it sets up the whole Ministry affair. But by cutting out that scene, the chain of events it sets up is lost and we have the jumbled mess of Harry being easily caught by umbridge in the fireplace. His "distraction" had already left the school after destroying exams that helped place Harry in Potions the very next year which gets him the Prince's book etc. That's partly why the whole moving scenes around thing bothered me. Trelawny not nearly as much as Fred and George.

3. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    DEATHLY HALLOWS SPOILER

At least my one hope that we would see this in Deathly Hallows came true. Granted, only Voldemort can do it, I at least see that the filmmakers probably rooted it in some fact that we had yet to know from the books. I guess if anything, making everyone do it kind of ruins the terror of Voldemort being able to fly.

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Weekend numbers a tad up a bit. no big deal, just get the legs started.

5. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I really wish they would redo the credits like POA and GOF instead of the standard ones. Maybe the Black Family Tree or the Hall of Prophecies.

6. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I thought the credits were supposed to be like Daily Prophet Headlines.

7. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    **Warning Deathly Hallows Slight Spoiler**

does anyone else think the director made a mistake with "snape's worst memory scene". I think he cut way too much out of it.

and especially after learning it's real signifigance in deathly hallows and why it really was snape's worst memory. I think he left to much out and it was too jumbled to make sense for those who haven't read the books.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Didn't look like it to me.

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    IMDB's talking that the EE could be real for this year. I hope we get branching features so you don't have to buy 2 versions.

10. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
  11. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    I doubt that considering a recent interview with david yates

from http://movies.about.com/od/harrypotter5/a/harrypot5071007_3.htm

Are there a lot of deleted scenes and what we can look forward to on the DVD?

Director David Yates: ?We actually didn?t lose that much. It?s really interesting because we had such a tight script going in. There are about a half of dozen scenes that are going to be on the DVD extras.

The rest of the answer talks about slightly expanding Trelawney's role.

The first time I watched it I wished they added 15 minutes to it but the second time I could find no logical place to add screentime without slowing down the movie significantly. Even Snapes Worst Memory and DD's final talk with Harry ultimately get the point across and would kill the pace if extended, especially for non-book readers.

12. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    can see what you mean but if you look at it as this was the first time harry has seen into someone's mind using occlumency you can understand that he wouldn't get a complete pensive type experience. he only saw flashes of snape's worst memory. im guessin in the deathly hallow's film they might show more of this scene in the "prince's tail" part.
    -doodie

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    There's going to be a backlash. 6 deleted scenes. There's more cut out than that first of all. Plus we want them back in the movie.

14. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    There really needs to be an extended scene in Dumbledore's office, that scene was completely ruined in the film. I always felt like it was the real climax of the book, everything was building up to this confrontation with Dumbledore, and so many questions are answered. It was thought of as an afterthought in the film, which... sucks.

15. Darth_Pogey

Apr 4, 2005
    I thought the Lost Prophecy Scene worked rather well actually. Yates evidently wanted to get straight to the end after Voldemort's escape and thats what he did. He did get the two most important things: explaining the prophecy (who says it ultimately doesnt matter), and why he ignored Harry. My only beef with that scene is not explaining Harry's protection he gets at the Durseley's which will kind of hurt the beginning of DH.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    One of the things people complained about in Goblet of Fire was the ending was too long. I guess Yates listened to the critics in that regard.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Box Office Guru doesn't think OOTP will hit 300. A 17 weekend at a 241 cume. I unfortunately must agree.

18. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    That can still be explained when Dumbledore visits at the beginning of Half-Blood Prince.

19. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I think the next two movies will overshadow this movie as far as numbers though.

I hope the films explain the "Dursley-family-home" protection soon. They seem to keep holding it back and they need to just bite the bullet and take 3-4 minutes to discuss that damn protection already. There are actually a lot of people who just watch the films and I can imagine their confusion. Though that is basically their fault since they choose not to read the books.

20. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    OOTP will pass POA tomorrow unless estimates increase 200k today. :D

21. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    251. Impressive most impressive.

Just got back from 3rd time and it keeps getting better.

22. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I might go see it again this weekend.

Anyone else hear that rumor that the Harry Potter films wil eventually make their way on the iTunes store?

23. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    That's the first I heard. I'll stick to the DVD. Anything Apple and i, just makes me uneasy.

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    9.4 weekend. Just a tad under the cume of COS. 300 seems unlikely at this point, we can only hope for strong legs in the coming weeks.

25. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    9.5 weekend after actuals.

This week 3m tops - 264
    8/10-12 4.7 268.7
    WD - 1.9 270.8
    8/17-19 2.3 273.1
    WD - 1.1 274.2
    8/24-26 1.3 275.5
    WD - .5 276.0
    8/31-9/2 .6 276.6