main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Story [Harry Potter] Dear Diary (Diary Challenge 2014)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by moosemousse, Jan 13, 2014.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Title: Dear Diary
    Author: moosemousse
    Fandom: Harry Potter
    Characters: Sevastra Strange (OC), other OCs, a few non-OCs
    Genre: Diary
    Summary: A young witch goes to Hogwarts and learns magic.
    Notes:
    This is being written for the Dear Diary Challenge 2014. This post will be updated with anything interesting and/or noteworthy. It could be art or little facts or whatever, so watch this space. This is also where I'll keep the PM list. If you want to be added to the PM list then please either ask in a comment or PM me and I'll add you. :)

2. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Dear Diary,

I suppose I had better introduce myself first. My name is Sevastra Strange and I am eleven years old tomorrow. Tomorrow should be a happy day for me, being my eleventh birthday, but I know that this year will be terrible. My birthdays always are, but this year will be especially so.

You see, my birthday is on a Thursday and my parents decided to throw a birthday party for me on Friday so that it wouldn't be on a school night. They also didn't want me to show off to my 'friends' with my new presents, so I'm not allowed to open anything on my birthday or on Friday, or even on Saturday as we've got family coming over! How unfair is that? If my parents weren't so, well, like my parents, I would have said something. I did that last year and ended up with nothing but a bunch of return receipts to show what I would have gotten had I not been so ungrateful.

Oh well, this year won't be a complete failure. I treated myself to this new diary which is large and looks like one of the books on my shelves. It's also got a lock on it in case my parents find it, and I made sure I replaced it with a new lock that can't be opened any other way than with the key. I made that mistake a few years ago and learnt the hard way that the locks that come with diaries are never good. My parents found it after I'd written some mean stuff about them in it. It didn't take them long to open it and I was grounded for a month. It was all true though. Even if they do get into this one, they won't be able to read it. Thanks to them I had to learn Latin so that's what I'm writing this in as practice for my Latin lessons. They let slip that they don't know Latin once and that the only other person that they know of who knows Latin is my teacher, and he's firmly on my side.

Tomorrow is going to be bad, and being tired will only make things worse. I might as well get to bed so I can at least pretend to be having a good day. Goodnight.

Yours,
    Sevastra,
    Age Ten and three hundred and sixty five days
    (it's a leap year this year)

Random Comments likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Sevestra is quite the little character! Her pique with her parents and her lack of enthusiasm for her birthday were adorable to read - although I think that she would take offense to them being called as such. ;) And it is too true about diary locks that come with the diary. Never trust them. She's a smart kid. :p

This was a great start, and I am looking forward to more. =D=

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Poor Sevastra! I love her spunk :D I think she'll be in for a birthday surprise ...

5. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    A good start. I'm looking forward to reading more.

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Mira_Jade: yes, she probably would. I found out the hard way about diary locks when my brother unlocked mine and asked me about it at the dinner table.

NYCitygurl: indeed, but is it a good surprise?

Space_Wolf: thanks!

Dear Diary,

My birthday was . . interesting, I think. The maid smuggled me breakfast in bed, which was nice. It was porridge, toast, and orange juice. She didn't get caught either, so that was good too. I'd hate for her to get in trouble because of me.

After that, my parents started arguing about which school I was to go to so I took refuge out in the porch. It has a nice view of our large back garden and it's nice to sit there and think about things. It's also one of few places where I can escape my parents arguing when it's raining and stay dry at the same time. It was while I was sitting there that the strangest thing happened. This time they were arguing about the cost of my education. One school under consideration was cheaper in fees but more expensive in uniforms, the set books were all expensive, and it was all getting a bit ridiculous

Something caught my eye and I turned to look, but I saw nothing there. When I looked back at the garden there was a man there with a large box under his arm. He had strawberry blonde hair and a handsome face. He had three scars like he'd been clawed by a wild animal or something on his left cheek, but it didn't make him ugly. He walked slowly towards me until he was standing on the step up to the porch.

"Good morning," he said. "My name is Professor Weasley, but you can call me Bill." He smiled. It was a nice smile. "I came here to bring you these," he continued, offering me the box, and I noticed then that there was an envelope on top.

I took the carefully and set the box down on the bench next to me so I could open the letter first. It was made of thick parchment and the address was hand written on with fancy writing. A large wax seal bore a crest with four animals and the motto "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus", which means "Never tickle a sleeping dragon". I looked up 'Bill', "I don't understand."

He nodded sagely, "I'm sorry, I should have explained. I'm a teacher at Hogwarts, one of the finest schools in the world. That is your acceptance letter."

"But my parents are still arguing about where to send me, and I've never heard this one being mentioned."

"Don't worry about that," he smiled, "it's all been taken care of." He took out a pocket watch that looked like it did everything but tell the time. He took a deep breath and smartened himself up. As if on cue my parents bellowed my full name as loudly as they could and in unison.

By dad burst out onto the porch waving a handful of letters in the air, "what is the meaning of these? Why are there letters saying that your application has been withdrawn?" It was then that he noticed the professor with the scars. "Who the hell are you and what are you doing on my property?"

Bill offered his hand, "My name is Professor William Weasley, a teacher at Hogwarts, a fine and distinguished school, and I was just delivering an acceptance letter to your daughter." I held up the parchment envelope meekly, and my dad snatched it out of my hand.

"Never heard of it," spat my dad.

"It really is a very good school, and very exclusive too," Bill did his best to look smug, I think. "Only forty students a year get in."

This seemed to impress my dad a bit. "What about fees and uniforms and books?"

"It's all taken care off. Your daughter will need to go to London to have her uniform fitted, but that can be done the day before the term starts and there's a fine place where students stay overnight." He pointed at the letter, "it's all explained in there."

My dad wasn't sure what to say, so he opened the letter and read it through. He called my mum out and the stood there talking loudly about this Hogwarts school. Eventually he turned to Bill, "alright, we'll send her there, but you'll have to have someone collect her. We're very busy people and taxis are expensive."

Bill nodded, "it would be our pleasure. I just need to have a few words with your daughter and I'll be on my way."My mum and dad scowled a little, but went inside. When they were gone inside, he stepped onto the porch and reached inside his coat, pulling out another envelope. He handed it to me, "and this is your letter. I didn't think they'd approve if they read this one. Don't open it just yet though, but do open the parcel."

I put the letter in my pocket and undid the string bow around the box. Lifting the lid I was surprised to see a large book inside. It had 'Hogwarts: A History, revised edition' on the front, and under that it had 'with forwards by Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger'. I picked it out of the box and flicked through it, almost squealing when I saw that it was writing in Latin. "Thank you," I said, not sure what to make of it.

"Think nothing of it," said Bill, adding "and happy birthday."

I looked through the book again for a few moments more and when I looked up he was gone. The book, the letters, and the vanishing teacher. What did it all mean? It will have to wait a few days I think. I was called in to lunch just after that and I haven't had a moment of peace all day.

The book and letter are safely stowed away, I hope. I'll have to read through them properly when my birthday business has passed. Until then they shall remain a mystery.

Yours,
    Sevastra
    Age 11

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I love Bill coming in person to give the materials to Sevastra! :D And I can't wait for her to have proper time to take a look at exactly the type of school she's gotten into ...

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh Bill! [face_love][face_laugh] That was a fantastic update. I can't wait until she realizes just what exactly she is getting into, like Nat said. :p

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    NYCitygurl and Mira_Jade: I have a feeling you might be disappointed. :(

Dear Diary,

Things have been a bit quieter at home now that I'm going to Hogwarts. My parents haven't had to argue about which school to send me to or how much the uniforms cost or anything. They've been finding other things to argue about though, but those arguments don't last long. Maybe they'll start to get along again. It's a bit hopeful of me, but we'll see how things work out.

Oh, yes, the book! I nearly forgot the book. It's a wonderful book, though it's a bit hard in places as it uses words I'm not familiar with so I have to keep my dictionary handy, but I'm working my way through it slowly. It's a school of magic! A real school where kids learn real magic! The forwards were really good too (yes, I always read the forwards and prologs and everything). Harry's was more about the exciting things that happened while he was there, Hermione's was more about the wonderful library and academic side, and Ron's was a bit of everything. I don't know why these three were important enough to write a forward, but maybe I'll find out when I get there.

I'm really looking forward to going to Hogwarts. The book has some wonderful pictures in it and it looks like the most amazing place in the world. It has the pictures that were in the old version and it has some recent pictures next to them. It looks like a battle took place there and there's a lot of damage and some bits don't look damaged but are clearly very different to how they were.

That reminds me, the most curious thing happened the other day. A large owl flew up to my window and landed on the windowsill. It tapped its beak on the glass until I noticed it and opened the window. It hopped in and held out a claw and the letter it was carrying. It was from Professor Bill telling me that all my school supplies had been organised and that a teacher would collect me the day before school starts. That's next week. I'm still going to pack some clothes to take though as I don't want to be away for weeks without my favourite things.

Oh dear, I can hear my parents calling me. I'd better put this away and see what they want.

Yours,
    Sevastra

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Very interesting! I actually get a kick out of the fact that Sevastra is handling this all pretty well. Of course, she hasn't said a word to her parents ... :p

11. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I'm quite enjoying this one. I'm thinking that we could do with more HP stories around here. I didn't used to be a fan of Harry Potter (more because I hated the silly way books can be promoted) but I started reading them when I got fed up of reading mediocre urban fantasy and Harry Potter is now among my favourite series of books. I just wish we had more of them.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Pfft, not disappointed at all! [:D] I loved how matter-of-fact and taking-it-all-in she was about going to a school of magic. Her observations so far are delightful, and I like the way you are developing her character (with the reading the prologues and what not - that was a great touch.) It's fun, too, seeing the HP world in the years after the books, as well - I loved the trio having their forwards in the history book, it was a great addition. Now, I am just really excited for Sevastra to start her time are Hogwarts. I am enjoying this story very much. =D=

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Space_Wolf: I only read them as my dad got the adult copy of one of the books and got a second 'youth' copy as well. I ended up with the adult copy and read my sister's books until I got my own.

Mira_Jade: the travelling to and arriving at Hogwarts is taking long than I had hoped. Hopefully it'll settle down after a few entries because I'm not sure how long I can keep writing huge entries for!

Dear Diary,

I'm finally at Hogwarts and far too excited to sleep. Today has be so exciting that I'm not sure I'll be able to make sense if I write about it first, so I'll write about yesterday instead. It was also exciting but not quite as much as today.

Well, yesterday the prettiest woman I'd ever known rang the doorbell. It was my dad who answered the door and I'm guessing he just gawped at her as I could hear her. "Good morning, Mr Strange. My name is Mrs Fleur Weasley and I'm here to take your daughter to school." There was a pause, "Mr Strange? Your daughter?"

With a sigh I went over to the door and squeezed past my dad. Holding out my hand, I introduced myself. "I'm Sevastra Strange, nice to meet you."

She shook my hand briefly and bent to whisper in my ear, "at least someone has manners." I was about to say something when she winked discretely and smiled. I just nodded.

Straightening up, she tried to peek inside. "Is everything ready to go?" she asked, "I can help speed things up if you need me to."

I shook my head, "no, it's ok, I'm all packed. I'll just go get my things." Darting up the stairs I heard my mother approach the front door. My dad seemed to find his tongue as I went into my room and grabbed my suitcase as I could hear my parents having a 'quiet' 'discussion' downstairs. Suitcase handle in hand, I went back downstairs with the pink luggage bouncing behind me. "Ready!" I beamed at Mrs Weasley.

Pretending not to argue for just long enough, my parents bid me farewell and waved me off. I took Mrs Weasely's arm and we walked down the driveway to the front gate. I sighed as the front door slammed shut and the sounds of arguing drifted over to us. "Have you got a car or something?" I asked absent mindedly.

Mrs Weasley shook her head. "We're going to disapperate," she said as though it was a normal thing to do and I'd know what she meant by it. When I just blinked vacantly at her she added "it's a way of travelling to anywhere in an instant. It only works if we've been there before or we can picture our destination." She ducked us into a gap in the hedge. "It works like this," she said, and we disapperated.

The next thing I knew everything went black, I was pressed very hard from all directions, I could not breathe as it felt like there were iron bands tightening around my chest, my eyeballs were being forced back into my head, and my ear-drums were being pushed deeper into my skull. The darkness was replaced with what looked like a tiled public toilet with several cubicles and a few urinals. Quite fortunate really as I couldn't stop myself lurching into the nearest cubicle and throwing up. Mrs Weasley didn't need to hold my hair back as it was tied up but she stroked my back and probably said something soothing until I was done.

When I had finished being sick, she took me out of the cubicle and smartened me up, muttering a spell that removed the few little splashes and the smell. She looked about us as she stowed her wand. "We seem to have ended up in the Gents again, oh well. Follow me." She took my hand and guided us out into the street. "This is Diagon Alley," she said as we emerged into a very old fashioned street. It looked like something from a period drama except there were things that didn't seem possible. "Magic," she whispered with a wink, and I hastily closed my mouth and stopped gawping. "First things first, Madame Malkins."

We walked at a brisk pace through the crowds of children and their parents until we came to a shop with robes in the windows. The manikins wearing them were moving around to show them off better. One of them was wearing more practical looking robes and flourishing a wand in an exaggerated manner. Mrs Weasley saw this and paused, "ah, the new duelling robes are in, Bill will be pleased." One of the manikins waved at me as we went inside.

"Good to see you again," said an elderly witch with tape measures draped over her shoulders like a shawl. "This can't be another Weasley," she said, "she not got ginger hair."

Mrs Weasley laughed, "no, this is another muggle born."

The witch rubbed her hands together, "splendid, splendid. The greatest witch I know was muggle born and she bought her robes in the very shop, and she still does too!" She waved her wand and the tape measures rose like snakes around her before measuring me every which way and more! It was quite a surprise but oddly enough the floating clipboard and quill made the whole thing seem normal. When it was over, the tape measures settled around her shoulders again. "Right, those will be ready once you've got your wand. Oh, and Fleur, Hermione said that you'd pick up her new robes for her. I'll give them to you later."

Mrs Weasley nodded, "thank you," and we left.

Walking at a more leisurely pace, we walked past and owl emporium and a sports shop on our way to another old looking shop that had the sign 'Olivanders and Co' above the door.

I was ushered inside where I was greeted by a young wizard with an eager smile. I couldn't stop myself blurting out "you're not Olivander" and I clamped my hand over my mouth and wished I hadn't.

He chuckled, "no, I'm his apprentice. There was some unpleasantness a few years back and he retired from selling wands, but he still makes them for the first years. He likes to give them the best so they'll last a life time, like this one." He held out his own wand and rotated it slowly, "he made this for me more years ago than I care to number." He put it away. "Enough about that, you're her for your own wand." He stroked his chin thoughtfully and wandered off. When he returned he had a dozen long thin boxes in his hands and he laid them out on the counter, opening each in turn.

Not knowing what else to do, I approached the one on the far left and went to pick it up. A bolt of purple light leapt from the wand and zapped my hand. I hurt a lot and I pulled my hand away. It should have burnt or something, but I was unharmed. Mrs Weasley encouraged me to keep trying and I did. The next want let me pick it up but nothing happened. When I picked up the next wand a large vase of flowers on the counter exploded. The man was quick with his wand and the shards stopped so very close to my cringing face before reassembling again.

Something made me skip the eighth wand and I picked up the ninth wand instead. It was like being filled with honey and bathed in pure sunlight. "That one I think," he said as a shiver went up my spine. "Definitely that one." I put it back and with a flick of his wand the others rushed back to where they came from and my wand boxed and wrapped itself in sturdy brown paper. He handed it to me, "This is yours now, take care of it. There is a care guide inside for you to read later. And don't worry about paying for it, that has been sorted out."

"I, uh, thank you," I said, and turned to leave. I was still in awe as I clutched the box to my chest and Mrs Weasley guided me back to Madam Maulkin's. The fitting passed in a blur and we left with two packages, both clearly labelled. We seemed to stop suddenly and the smell of animal droppings brought me to my senses. We were outside the owl emporium.

"You'll be wanting an owl, I suspect. They're useful for sending letters home and your parents can send you things too. You don't need to worry about paying for it, so just pick one you want." I quickly handed her my wand and parcel and hurried inside.

There were more owls in there than I had ever seen in my life time. There were some I recognised, like the barn owl, the tawny owl, and the snowy owl, but most of them were unfamiliar to me. I moved past the larger owls and almost passed over a small one that was watching me. I stopped and returned to its cage. I engrossed and making cutesy noises when a kindly witch came over.

"That's a Northern Saw-Whet owl," she said with a smile.

"Aww, she's so cute and tiny," I cooed at the small owl. The owl seemed to glare at me.

The witch chuckled, "that's a male owl."

"Oh, right, sorry!" I blurted, then turned back to the owl. "Aww, he's so cute and tiny," I said, with emphasis on the 'he'. The owl seemed to smile and nod appreciatively.

THe witch looked the owl over, "the girls in the first year seem to like these ones because they are small and cute, but they can't carry much. I doubt they'd be able to carry the morning paper."

"It's ok, I don't read the papers and he is rather adorable." I smiled at the small owl and held out a finger to the cage. The owl shuffled forward and nuzzled my finger with his beak. "I'll take him."

"I'll have him delivered to your dorm room in Hogwarts," said the witch, "He'll be ready and waiting for you."

I felt giddy as I left the Owl Emporium. There was so much take in and it wasn't even lunch time! I had a real magic want, actual witch robes, an owl, and- oh no! It's time for bed! It's so unfair!

Ugh, anyway diary, I'll finish writing about my day tomorrow.

Yours,
    Sevastra

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was a wonderful entry! I love reading her wonder at how new everything is so far. The wand part was my favourite in the diary so far - there is just something magical, for lack of a better word ;), about finding that perfect wand. The owl was adorable too. [face_love]

I look forward to hearing about the rest of Sevastra's day. :)

=D=

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    The greatest witch I know was muggle born and she bought her robes in the very shop, and she still does too

Love that line :D

Sevastra's impressions of the magical world are very fun! I kind of laughed when she threw up after Apparating :p My favorite bit was at the wand shop, though.