main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Harry TurtleDove and Alternate History!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by EDKRIEG, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Comments on TurtleDove and AH as a sf subgenre?There is a preview page of the next in his war between the states series-called Death Grapple!Thoughts on his work-especially the Worlds at War-original tetrology?

2. TheProphetOfSullust

TheProphetOfSullust Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    Great minds think alike, don't they? I just made a HT thread as well. Guess I should lock it.

My favorite book is definitely The Victorious Opposition in the Southern Victory series. Despite the fact that you know the war will break out, it's still exciting to read.

Alternate history is definitely a genre of Sci-fi. While I love Turtledove, my favorite AH work is Robert Harris's Fatherland.

According to Amazon, The Grapple will be realeased on July 25. Can't wait.

I do have to say, I'm thankful that Turtledove didn't continue his Darkness series into the "magical Cold War." Although the Derlavai version of Vietnam might have been interesting to look at.

I still haven't read the latest item in the Crosstime Traffic series, In High Places.

3. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I really like turtledove. His american series... i forget what it is called, was really fascinating. I also really enjoyed the darkness series. The books were a bit dense, but worth it.

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    The next book in the Settling Accounts series is really called The Grapple ? God thats an awful title....

Anyway, Im a big Turtledove guy and have been since I discovered him about four years ago. Ive read just about all of his major series (and alot of his individual novels), including The Great War, American Empire, Worldwar, Colonization. I also just picked up Days of Infamy and am looking forward to checking that out.

5. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I just got the latest darkness book (signed) for a late christmas present. I will have to go back and reread the series and catch up now! :p

6. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I've read all Turtledoves Great War series and the series following it. I liked the Great War Series, but I have been dissappointed with the World War Two series. So far its like an exact retread, already its obvious the CSA is going to lose. Other things I don't like
    How little information we get about the war in Europe or the rest of the world.
    No characters involved in the uprising in Canada.
    Lack of CSA combat characters, the last one looked like he got killed in Pittsburgh and I didn't see anyone obvious to take his place.
    No Freedom party units I've been expecting to see some elite units turning up ready to fight but nothing not even Paratroopers.
    Of course I'll still read the next one, but I'm not expecting any big surprises.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I tend to question his repute, when I see the Worldwar books the same way each time; namely, his coddled fleetlord musing and thinking the same words. And then I start musing myself, how this gets past editors.

8. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, I was really looking forward to the first book in the Settling Accounts series and was ultimately dissapointed with it (although I was happy that Anne Colleton bit it early on.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.