main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Il faut qu'on fasse a thread ou on essaye de parler seulement francais

solojones and Princess_Tina like this.
  2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You start it, I will bring the croissants :p

3sm1r likes this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Ça plane pour moi

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Je l’aimerais aussi

3sm1r likes this.
  5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Freaking hick farmer French is what it is...

Lordban likes this.
  6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So où est le thread pour parler français, then?

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Je ne sais pas...[face_dunno]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    "Ton truck é ti en pretty good shape?"
    "Oui. Ej vas tanker mon truck de soir pis ej va le driver. Ça va être right d'la fun."

10. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I didn't expect this thread to turn around a debate of "French vs English". Maybe I shouldn't have told this small anecdote... [face_shhh]

Juliet316 and Princess_Tina like this.
  11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    C'est la vie.... :p

12. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
  13. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^ non, ce n'est pas assez

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Actually surprised that after a decade of not using French I can read and understand this last page.

solojones likes this.
  15. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    It's nearly three decades in my case!

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    J’ai étudié la langue française pour mon diplôme d’université, mais il y a beaucoup d’ans.

17. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    J'avais une copine française. C'est la seule raison pour laquelle je connais un français, sans aucun doute.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Eh, the discussion *before* that didn't have much to do with the Harper's letter anyway, so as far as I see it the french tangent has been just as relevant as most comments before it.

3sm1r likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Who wants to feed a Bedouin?

A five year old video of an Israeli TV personality called Roy Boy has surfaced, and is causing outrage on social media.

Roy Boy is in his car, and repeatedly asks his children “Who wants to feed a Bedouin?” There are two Bedouin children beside the car, eating the biscuits (cookies) Roy has handed to them.

Here’s and article, and a pixilated version of the incident. You can easily find an unpixilated version on youtube, but I won’t post it here, as it’s not cool, and to be honest, I’ve watched it, and it choked me up a little.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ti...rens-tv-star-apologizes-for-racist-video/amp/

So, what are your thoughts in this case? Is there a way back for this guy? He gave an apology. Is it even an issue to you? Imagine if this was a white, western TV presenter if it helps.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends. Five years is quite a chunk of time, is the apology for the actions or that he got caught?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was going to say it's their society and they should decide, but since the guy is supposed to be a "children's entertainer", they should decide to never let him entertain children ever again.

22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    This is an aspect of the story that’s of interest to me - The retroactive nature of it.

Re. the apology. It appears he apologised after the video surfaced, as opposed to him offering the video (which was a private family moment), and saying “I did this, it was wrong”.

23. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I watched the unpixilated video and found it very unpleasant viewing. The fact that this man is a children’s entertainer made his actions even more unpalatable. The whole thing reeked of racism and class privilege. What is most worrying is that he was conditioning his own children to see these other kids as beneath them. He was conditioning them to see these children as objects for their amusement who would happily eat any morsel that they were willing to dispense from the safety of their expensive automobile.

24. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I know almost nothing about this situation, but just “Who wants to feed a pigeon—I mean—Bedouin?” strongly suggests some pervasive awfulness.

Sometimes folks who complain about “cancel culture” say things like, “Why should one incidence of misspeaking lose someone their job?” The answer is that there’s misspeaking, and then there’s showing your ass. For instance, if a trans person changed their name and pronouns quite recently, I can see people making mistakes at first. (Of course, this is what editors and the 7-second delay on live broadcasts are for.). On the other hand, under what circumstances does someone “accidentally” say “Black Lives Matter is racism against white people!” Were they just so used to saying that that it just “popped out” when it “wasn’t supposed to?” Why were they even in situations where they felt saying that was remotely okay, and why the hell were they saying it so often that it became a reflex?

So yeah, even one instance of saying certain things can be grounds for “cancellation.” Is the “feeding a Bedouin” comment bad enough? Well, teaching your children to view human beings as some form of begging animal is pretty horrible. Since this was 5 years ago, maybe the guy had some kind of big epiphany since. (You’d think he might have mentioned that before he got caught being a ****, though.). Still, if I or my kids were somewhere in his sphere of influence, I’d be willing to listen to what he had to say. He’d better make it damn good, though.

Also—really the one issue I have with “cancel culture” is that it only affects public figures whose audience/constituents have a shred of human decency. If J. Random Media Influencer says something horribly racist, then that person will be shut down in days, if not hours. If some Trumper personality (can we call them Trump-thumpers? I want to call them Trump-thumpers) says something horribly racist, then their whole fan base will be like, “Yayyyy! This person is horribly racist! Let’s cause them to actually benefit for being such an appalling excuse for a human being!”

Likewise, God help anyone with a moral compass who somehow relies on the goodwill of Trump-thumpers in any way. For example, Michigan’s not-inconsiderable Randian wingnut population has been desperately trying to “cancel” Governor Whitmer since at least April, due to her insistence that they do not have the right to rampantly spread diseases, even if they want to really, really bad. “Cancel” in this case means not only “berate on Twitter,” but also “attempt to terrorize with loaded guns in front of her home.” Whitmer probably won’t literally be assassinated, but there are decent odds she will be a one-term Governor due to her stance that coronavirus is real, germ theory is real, reality is real, etc.

Does it mean that we should somehow prohibit people from boycotting bigots (how?), just because bigots know how boycotts work too? Of course not. It’s just maddening that the worst people among us are nearly immune to being “cancelled,” while also being able to damage others through “cancel culture.”

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Here's a more fun cancelling incident to discuss: Warren supporters vs minority feminist studies instructor. He's not been cancelled yet, but people are trying!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020