main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I haven’t kept up with the Schofield situation, but has he said he knew he was gay when he got married? If not, he may have married in good faith.

Edit: as for your first para, I think many minority groups have fell victim to cancel culture their entire lives, it’s just not called that and at times is far more insidious.

edit: probably cancel culture adjacent.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Schofield is an odd one where I have both sympathy ire for.

Based on his age, homosexuality was a big no when he started out so his wife was his decoy. This could be his Elton John marriage disguise which was required as he started out.
    Its not an unusual situation from back then.

As a result of being a celebrity he maintained the facade because he felt his career was reliant on it and his wife i suspect now knew and was prepared to support. Which again isn't unusual and I know a few married guay men who are still with their wives and kids and fully out and everything is fine.

Now the ire vs sympathy bit comes in based on this year

If he came out because he was about to be exposed over a potentially inappropriate relationship then thats just wrong and his position needs a review.

If he came out because it was the right thing to do and he chose to because he couldn't live the lie anymore then fine (this is the least likely option)

If he came out because a story was pending that thats just good self marketing. My issue here would sit amongst all the times he's dealt with others in this quandary and has never spoken out asude from platitudes.

The thing we still need to remember though. As open minded and accepting that so many of us are, there are still thousands of people who do not accept anything other than. Man, woman, straight relationships and those amongst us who are not straight or identify differently will be scared in coming out.

For all our alleged open mindedness we still do not have a gay professional footballer playing in any nation. For me, that is our litmus test, oncevwe have that and there is no abuse from the terraces then we are moving forwards but as black players still get abuse for the colour of their skin which they can't control, i don't see that changing any time soon for those who can't control who they are attracted too.

Irrespective, Scofield is still in the broom closet of my youth with his gofer.

Yes, I know how bad that sounds.

Diggy and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    He said that he suspected he was gay when he got married but suppressed his feelings when he got married. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...hillip Schofield,feeling because he was happy.

That's fair enough really, no one's perfect. But they were married for 27 years, I'm sure he would have realised for sure at some point. Carrying on after that is unfair to his wife in my opinion.

True, to be fair.

Yeah, it would have been difficult for him to come out 27 years ago but I felt he could have within the last ten years.

As for the self-marketing bit, I do agree with you - but I don't think it's commendable (ironically I actually study marketing so you would expect me to focus on that). I think coming out as gay because you were about to have the coming out done for you, compared to coming out as gay because you want to show solidarity for LGBT and show that you're confident with who you are are different things. The latter is better for overall acceptance and making a statement.

Diggy likes this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Has anybody followed this new story about the progressive Democratic candidate Alex Morse ?

Apparently he had troubles for dating students of the same university where he was working as a professor, even though they weren't his students.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It looks like a hit job, actually -- not an actual thing.

6. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    yet the Sunrise Movement withdrew the endorsement....

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't know this story but that's ^ a no-no isn't it?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, he issued an apology -- so it's almost certain that he "dated" (i.e. Tinder) a student or two, entirely unaffiliated with what he was accused of (i.e. grooming at Young Democrats meetings -- but the specific complaints lodged against him appear to not be true.

https://theintercept.com/2020/08/12/alex-morse-college-democrats-chats/

I haven't read through the whole thing, but I find it at least slightly ironic that Ryan Grim did the research here that he and Halper clearly didn't do on Tara Reade. :p

EDIT: Shahid Buttar's issues appear to be way more widespread and true, and fewer people are focusing on that (and Katie Halper is still supporting him!) because absolutely no one expects him to beat Pelosi.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    3sm1r likes this.
  9. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    What happened?
    Not that it matters, as you correctly pointed out.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also The Intercept oddly.

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/23/shahid-buttar-campaign-allegations/

Here's the background on the sexual harrassment from Medium, as well as the staff allegations that followed:

https://missionlocal.org/2020/07/sh...-allegation-misogyny-allegation-nancy-pelosi/

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    He could probably do with changing that facial hair so he doesn't look like a cult leader....

That said, if Amy Klob can survive staff mistreatment, than anyone can.

12. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I maintain that allegations like these should be taken seriously but ultimately ignored when it comes to deciding how to vote.

Still, Pelosi will never lose, so whatever.

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    At my university, it's apparently OK if it's with a student that's not in your same department.

3sm1r likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, generally that's... not the norm. But also, I take a slightly more lenient view of things like Tinder/Grindr because I'm assuming in most cases you don't necessarily know that someone's a student where you teach unless they're in your class or they explicitly say so.

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I want to say I think that's generally the approach at the places I've been at as well, that the restrictions are generally about if one person is in a position of power over the other, and so no department or class connections generally would be a situation where that is not an issue.

Outsourced likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    A Hindu nationalist tried to "cancel" Genghis Khan several hundred years too late. Her profile is now private because of the amount of memes and jokes that have been made

[​IMG]

Nobody actually praises Genghis Khan. This is being done in response to a couple of memes that called Khan a "Chad" lmao. Also the reason I'm calling her a hindu nationalist is because she goes on to talk about the Mughal empire pretty much the same way that BJP types do.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Weren't the British responsible for more deaths on the subcontinent than the Mughals? The latter actually tried to mitigate famines, at least.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Wait why TF is Genghis Khan trending on twitter ?

( Also, why TF am I asking this question ? )

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Because that lady I screenshotted wrote a giant Twitter screed in respond to a couple of "Chad Genghis Khan" memes

3sm1r likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Everyone knows it's Bob Genghis Khan, though...

Iron_lord and Lord Vivec like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hey, you already canceled the British. You can’t do it twice.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Over and over until it actually sticks.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  24. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Chomsky was asked about the letter on TYT.
    You can see his response starting from about 15:15 in the following video.

He is one of the greatest minds of our time and a gift to the world.

25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Look, I'm aware that he's a legendary figure with a lot of history and letters after this name, but he's wrong. The smartest and most accomplished people in the world can be wrong about things. Albert Einstein had enormous difficulty accepting the "weirdness" that quantum mechanics, fully realized, allowed into physics, even though some of his own mathematics went into it.

Noam Chomsky is just wrong about what he's largely talking about (starting 15:15 onward). First off, I'll start with what he's right about. I said way early on in this thread that the letter doesn't talk about cancel culture, and I guess Chomsky saw the same thing I did. So that's where we are of one mind about. However, while that letter started off being about free speech, it's been co-opted by radical feminists of the terf variety. That's not the letter's fault, this is just what terfs do. They're an infestation. They have been smarting after suffering a few losses (Graham Linehan getting his twitter banned, the enormous pushback against JK Rowling, etc) and they are using this letter to present themselves as victims of trans rights gone crazy. That's the reality of this letter. This letter cannot be discussed in isolation of it. However that's one of Noam Chomsky's biggest flaws. He gives his name to things that are, in theory and in isolation, good. But you can't just pretend that the reality of the situation doesn't exist.

The other thing Noam is wrong about is his discussion that you don't prevent people from speaking. You absolutely do prevent people from speaking. No, it doesn't give ammo to the far right. No matter how much you let them actually speak and give them a platform, they always complain that their speech is being suppressed. It doesn't matter how true it is, this is something they always beat the drum about because it's a good rallying cry for them. They play the victim while not actually being victimized. Well, let's not give them that benefit, yes? Taking away hateful platforms works. Guess who we haven't heard from recently? Milo Yiannopoulos. Graham Linehan. Katie Hopkins. When their platforms on major media are taken away, their ability to spread hate gets reduced. Do alt righters complain about their free speech being squashed? Yes. But they do so regardless of whether or not their free speech is being squashed.

Noam is old and he looks like he's barely in 2020. That's not to say he's not smart person. But he's out of touch with the way society works today.