main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think there's a really important distinction to be drawn between sources that are inherently not peer reviewed, and preprints. This may be a large enough issue to turn into an actually interesting discussion on the interface between scientific research and the public, but for purposes of this, I do think that there's a case to be made about preprints being useful on a developing topic. That is, of course, provided that they're given the appropriate weight

There's a school of thought that is very much committed to not doing that, though, and overhyping preprints (or, for that matter individual studies that may be outliers) because they say the 'right' thing rather than from any scientific basis. There's a very big difference between an awareness of the developing edges of a field vs cherry picking things to avoid having to reassess one's views.

Jedi Merkurian and Lord Vivec like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    True, I'm not going to automatically dismiss it - but often times it seems more about getting investment money.
    Theranos was an especially egregious case, although not a scientist promoting it there, but a shyster Silicon Valley type that didn't seem a traditional fraudster, but rather someone who felt that they could produce the results with enough time and money, and they just made a little white lie about already having developed the process already - hiding behind legal threats, "proprietary" information, and NDAs.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    In the case of Theranos, I thought, that was just claims being made in media and to officials rather than any actual preprints.

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    One of the earliest complaints against them was in a medical journal that their supposed processes had not been published and peer-reviewed. Their counter was always that their top-secret, revolutionary process was proprietary and could not be revealed, and that everyone should just trust them that the thing that sounded too good to be true was real. Not surprisingly, when they finally allowed it to be tested by a third-party, it failed.
    But like she said - "This is what happens when you work to change things, first they think you're crazy, then they fight you, and then all of a sudden you change the world."

There's some good news with the Theranos scam - the Walton family, the Cox family, Rupert Murdoch, and Betsy DeVos lost hundreds of millions of dollars investing in it.

5. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, that's very different, though, from the discussions of the medical papers that are pre-prints and will be going through peer review but have just been released publicly to allow them to be responded to quicker. I think there's a value in preprints (when looked at by people that understand what they are) that isn't present in the "trade secrets so we only release what we want" sort of thing.

6. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Theranos is more thematically similar, but yes - the issue wasn't pre-prints, but rather that they didn't submit anything.

Pons and Fleischmann, however, did do a pre-print - a month after they did a press conference where they announced they had submitted the paper. It's that one-two punch that really throws up a warning sign.

I do acknowledge the value of pre-prints, however - I've had a couple co-written papers published decades ago (on subject matters rather dull to the general public and not likely to ever generate controversy. ;))

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    So the problem here is that you have to go with the preponderance of evidence. You can find someone with a PhD in any field who will go against the grain. That doesn’t mean you should seek them out and rely upon them to fit your biases. The most reliable thing to do is to go with what the majority of scientists and doctors are saying at any time. Now that can change, but until it does, go with the prevailing view/s on scientific matters.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  8. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    All right. Lets go with that. Nothing more here.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, there isn’t any more here, because that’s (a simplified version) of what peer review is—academics/scientists checking each other’s work for accuracy.

If the only “evidence” to support your point is from a non-peer-reviewed source, the problem is with your point, not with scientists, academics, and those of us who rely on their majority opinion and on peer-reviewed sources as evidence.

You’re not being a “free and independent thinker” by going against a majority academic opinion on a subject, you are just being anti-education.

Nobody145, blackmyron and Juliet316 like this.
  10. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Its far from the only evidence but this isn’t the thread for it and no, there isn’t anything else on this topic to discuss. Don’t we have a cancellation we can rap about? Seems like the cancelling has been slowing down lately. Cmon, so slow out there! :)

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Also see this instead of trying to get the last word in.

If you want to cheer or “rap” about someone being cancelled, bring up an example yourself or let the thread breathe until someone else does.

12. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    It appears Niki Manaj is working her way into the Cancellation penalty box. She's always had some interesting takes on things and tends to generate controversy quite often.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Trying to skirt around, talking about covid again. So transparent.

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    So that's what he's on about. He didn't manage to meet the "bring up an example yourself" challenge (unsurprisingly) so no idea what he was going off on this time.

15. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Changed subject as per request to Niki Minaj since she is a candidate for some canceling. This thread isn’t about anything other than cancel culture. Do you have a take on Niki? Anyone else that’s under the cancel microscope right now? Seems slow for the cancellers now. Might have a rebound or more activity this fall. :)

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I’ve not seen any credible talk of canceling her; but that’s merely my own perspective. However, you do seem to still have quite the Harrelson for talking about COVID tho…

17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    With Norm MacDonald's death, Conan O'Brien revealed that the same NBC executive that got Norm fired from SNL - because of Norm's endless jokes at the expense of the executive's good friend, OJ Simpson - also tried to have Norm banned from ever appearing on Conan after an initial appearance. Conan sent back a polite refusal, and the guy didn't press the issue. Conan went on to have Norm on a number of times while he had the NBC show.

18. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Harrelson? Woody? ;). Nope, I dropped Covid from this thread a few posts back. Bad call on my part. Old news. Niki M. is the only current "possible" cancellation victim in the radar right now. Didnt say she was cancelled, just that some people irked over her comments/tweets on various things. Just slow on the cancel front. Lets give the NFL a few weeks, Im sure a player or coach will do "sumtin" to cause a ruckus.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because of…?

You’re not fooling anyone here, Michael.

20. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I heard the Nicki Minaj story. It's nuts.

Thank you, I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I continue to not understand at all how "canceled" is used in this thread.

As it regards Niki Minaj, I've seen people (rightly) bewildered/upset that she confused an STD with the side effect of a medical treatment. People laughing or being shocked about such a comment isn't the same thing as asking for someone to face repercussions of any kind. It is literally just laughing at something dumb on the internet.

22. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's literally just Mike attempting to simultaneously troll while at the same time continue spouting his COVID nonsense in unrelated threads after being banned from the Pandemic thread.

23. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    @QUIGONMIKE Unless Nicki Minaj actually gets "cancelled" then knock it off. Because your current little tactic of being hypothetical so you can try to bring up Covid despite being told to stop skirting your thread ban is fooling nobody. To be honest you're quite lucky you're getting one final warning instead of being banned for ignoring moderators' warnings but I feel this clarification is needed before resorting to that step.

This applies to all other threads in the Community forum

Juliet316, Rew, Nobody145 and 10 others like this.
  24. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    You haven't explained what she has done or what other people are doing that actually makes it related to this thread; ergo you haven't actually brought up an example yourself.

It's like you don't grasp how a thread for discussing a topic is supposed to actually work.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You guys are giving him too much credit, he doesn't have the basic awareness or thought process to link talking about Minaj with talking about COVID, that's beyond his ability. It's literally one step away, but that's still too far.

Juliet316 likes this.