main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Warner Bros. response to Rowling's transphobia is so cowardly that it's almost impressive.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
  3. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Aaah... the power of money.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  4. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    $ = √666

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What a stupid "statement." Yes, she has a right to hold her opinions. That's not been in question whatsoever. The question is why are you (meaning Warner Bros) helping her make more money when you know she's a **** person.

6. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    If I keep posting just to put a picture or a metaphor for money, I'm going to get modded x)

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Well I know that it's money, the goal is to force the other party to have to either admit that they're being **** for money or not pursue this course of action.

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Aww, now I just wanna see it.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    You want them to give up the Harry Potter franchise?

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Just admitting they're after money and not values would also seem to fit his requirements.

11. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Is there a petition open somewhere? Or another form of action targetting WB?

I'd indulge you if I weren't a S in the SM equation ;)

poor yorick and Darth Punk like this.
  12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    DARTH PUNK IS A SADIST!!!

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

poor yorick and SuperWatto like this.
  14. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    I understand that today there a lot of people in Twitter trying to cancel Gal Gadot because she is set to play Cleopatra VII. According to this people Cleopatra Thea Philopattor was a black egyptian woman and not a greek woman with Macedonian ascend . And Gadot, an israelite, is too "arian" to play such character. I jmust have misunderstood something here.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Alternative histories are quite popular, and that goes double for Egyptian history, it seems. It's worth noting that there were people that didn't like that Rami Malek was cast to play an Egyptian pharoah in Night at the Museum.

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Is this version going to nearly kill a studio too?

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The pandemic is already doing that.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I'm just putting this here, whether you agree with him or not regarding cancel culture, hateful and offending comments, etc...

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I understand the reaction in that trash like Gods of Egypt casting Northern Europeans as Egyptians creates some sensitivity. But Cleopatra was Greek whose dynasty practiced quite a bit of incest and was only the first of the Ptolemids to even bother speaking the native language. I don't think most modern people grasp that the Mediterranean world was culturally complex and interconnected .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah people don't understand who the Ptolemies were.

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Cultural sensitivity and/or historical accuracy never stopped Hollywood before, so it's interesting to see just how much more flack this one will cause just because Hollywood doesn't much like female directors to begin with.

22. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    Double post.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  23. CairnsTony

May 7, 2014
    In my time in Egypt I saw people who looked well, Egyptian. I actually find it bizarre, that in an effort to not be racist by assigning arbitrary labels, some people can be really racist.

Gal Gadot can effortlessly pass as a typical Egyptian, or for that matter Greek, woman. Having said that, were there no Egyptian actors considered?

Actually, I just remembered, I don't care. Hollywood and all that.

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    To be honest she fits the role of a European whose family decided they should be allowed to rule a swath of Arab territory and treat the people as second class citizens. Like for real historians have pretty seriously argued that Alexandria was a fully apartheid city; so Gal is actually the perfect person to play a ruler of that society and decide if people in that region of the would should be allowed to have rights. I swear there had to have been a super based casting agent or something.

Oh and as for Hollywood and everything, given Israel's.....shall we say treatment of Egypt and its borders, having the biggest Israeli star get that role is still awkward. Just about anyone who hasn't praised the murder of Egyptians and annexation of their land would be nice. Keep in mind Lebanon rightly banned showings of Wonder Woman cause the film stars and flat out promotes empire and intervention.....with someone who partook in an illegal war of aggression against Lebanon in recent memory.

Like this shouldn't be about Cleopatra being greek, (though there is some interesting stuff about her half-sister being more African when her DNA was tested http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/also_in_the_news/7945333.stm) the problem is that intense cultural and political divides exist, and taking the cultural and historical figure of one nation and having them played by someone who served in and openly touts an army that is in opposition to that other country is a bad thing to do.

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Not to mention Hoteps who literally have an alternate history as their real history