main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    The thing with Facebook and Twitter is that it’s made it remarkably easy for everyone to find their own remarkably specific in group. Which, can be pretty cool but also can lead into the problem of pretty rampant gatekeeping and tribalism. Which is a big part of the reason I won’t touch social media with a thirteen and a half foot long pole.

Says the guy posting on the part of a Star Wars forum specifically for people that used to care a lot about Star Wars but now prefer to talk about random stuff with people who also used to care about Star Wars but now prefer to talk about random stuff.

You guys are great though. Lord knows I’ve posted plenty of stupid **** and you still tolerate me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Do you mean publishers? I'm not going to die on a hill for [insert name of well-known writer], and I'm not a fool. I can see reasonable, open-minded, liberal, writers getting sucked into this, because of the reprehensible actions of some of their contemporaries. Please don't lump us all into one category; that really isn't fair.

I have always said that we need more representation in writing; God knows it is long overdue in fact. One of my aims for my current project was for the MC to be neurodiverse, and she is. I want this story out there, because I genuinely think it needs to be told; and as for the system not changing: literary agents and publishers are very sensitive to a changing market; and whom they take on board reflects that. They change almost from week to week.

Many well-established writers write for 'the establishment', though not all. They can get away with all kinds of stuff, but that is a world away from what new writers can get away with. There are some exciting new writers trying to get their stories heard; the better publishers are responding to this- not enough as yet, but it is happening nonetheless.

Coruscant likes this.
  3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Speaking of social networks, here's a piece about Facebook, which doesn't believe all that much in "cancelling".

I mean consumers.

Darth Punk and mnjedi like this.
  4. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    With very little doubt the part about the backlash against intellectuals showing data has Steven Pinker in mind. Academics and students made a letter where they basically demanded a punishment for some tweets he posted.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Time to bring this out again...

[​IMG]

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Fallout from “The Letter”.

Trans Writer Says She’s Getting Death and Rape Threats Over Her Reaction to Harper’s ‘Free Speech’ Letter

Emily VanDerWerff — a writer for Vox and a trans woman — says she has been getting death threats, rape threats, and other forms of harassment over her reaction to a controversial open letter published by Harper’s Magazine that purported to champion free speech.

SOURCE:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...r-reaction-to-harpers-free-speech-letter/amp/

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    People are going to bat for ****ing Matt Yglesias?

This is what "cancel culture" really is and always has been, not the way a lot of the whining hypocrites among those who signed the letter frame it. It's not people's lives being ruined for holding opinions that fit with the status quo. It's going after the marginalized, as signatory JK Rowling does. Professors getting fired for opposing Israeli apartheid, as signatory Bari Weiss has pushed for since she was a college student. News anchors getting pushed out for opposing war or supporting the more progressive candidate. It's always the powerful punching down.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    JK Rowling spent two years trying to "cancel" Jeremy Corbyn and members of Labour Left over perceived anti-Semitism. She spent two years directing twitter hatred at members of the Labour party that she didn't agree with. But of course, now cancel culture is bad because people attack her on twitter.

10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The K in "JK" really must stand for Karen.....

11. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    It's not a controversial open letter. The only controversial thing is the fact that Rowling signed it.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It is though, because some of the people who are signing it aren't signing it for the letter of what it means, but for the unwritten spirit of it. The letter, in and of itself, isn't about cancel culture, but the entire discussion around the letter, including by those who have signed the letter, is about cancel culture. That can't be ignored. What also can't be ignored is that a whole host of the signatories have participated in cancel culture themselves.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's not just Rowling. I don't recognize many of the names but there are several ****heads on it. The only one I'm sure signed in good faith is Noam Chomsky because he's had a consistent free speech position for over 60 years and as a 91-year-old probably doesn't fully understand the stupid social media bull**** context of the thing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  14. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    ^ agreed

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I would violate the code of conduct if I get going about this.

So I should leave.

Now.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Always hilarious when people feel the need to dramatically announce their departure from a topic.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    The self cancel

18. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    [​IMG]

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I believe the proper term is "people listening think she's a ***hole and they're showing her the door".

anakinfansince1983 and harpua like this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Apologies, I haven't been able to read the whole thread.

My baseline opinion on all this is that social media is incredibly toxic and I avoid it wherever I can. If people choose to engage and are disliked as a result, I don't see how that is unfair. Where the volubility is such that it effects people's work or livelihood, there should be a higher bar, but my understanding is that such crossover from the social media to the real world in fact usually requires more egregious acts anyway. I'm not sure about the cause of all the excitement.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah and much of the time some things are 'canceled' by only a small vocal minority online, for better or worse.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  22. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Right on!

Darth Punk likes this.
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Anything that is backed up by the majority definitely isn't going to face cancel calls unless it's a minority doing so.

24. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    No, I do not think cancel culture has gone too far. It's like celebrities/people in the public eye have never considered that they could just, I don't know, not say things that might get them canceled.

And here's the other thing. We can use these instances as valuable lessons for our kids. I saw a story recently about a girl who posted a bunch of racist stuff, was reported to the college she was accepted to, and had her acceptance declined. Good. Let's teach our kids that there are consequences for spreading hate. Let's teach our kids to be thoughtful about what they post on social media.

I don't buy this "slippery slope" argument that people will be unfairly canceled. Look who the president is.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003