main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Has Cancel Culture Gone Too Far?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jul 7, 2020.

1. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Wocky's right. The law should be deciding what goes, not some company. Then within that legal framework companies may have whatever quaint rules they want.

Laws against hate speech and required moderation for any site with a decent amount of traffic.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    If the Republicans were a serious party they'd have to deal with the elephant in the room that this tech giants problem is the result of the unregulated market philosophy they have been promoting for decades.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If American political parties were capable of self-awareness we’d all be living in an alternate history scenario dating back to at least 1619.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hey, can you swear in here? Waiting for you to leave... :p

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I admire those who fight and give those places hell, but the second I receive any kind of resistance from a place like that, I will remove myself from the premises. Not because I have respect for their refusal (it is originated in a lot of stuff I feel no attachment to/disagree with) but because it is a waste of my time to debate with individuals who disagree with my existence due to the 'lifestyle' they feel that I live--- feelings which derive from the 'lifestyle' that they live and the faith that they follow/have.

If I was really spiteful, I would own a bakery that only baked cakes for gay weddings and refused to bake anything having to do with a straight wedding. I wonder how that would go over in certain circles.

The sad part is that there are still people out there who continue to believe that gay people choose to be gay. This idea is fading away, and it certainly isn't present among those I regularly interact with (majority of my people are LGBT, anyway, so not the best example), but I know from my YouTube comment section dumpster diving and other Internet excursions, that there are folks who swear by 'lifestyle choice' and 'sexual preference' in reference to gay folks. I was in a part of the U.S. were I frequently heard 'alternative lifestyle', but down here in South Florida, that's not a thing I hear that much. Though that may be due to the people I surround myself with...and the fact that I don't leave my house that often.

Of course there also exist the individuals who acknowledge that being 'gay', 'bi' or whatever is not a choice, but is instead some sort of defect or aberration worthy of condemnation. Those are the people that worry me a bit more.

At the end of the day, some of the ones irate with the "censorship" of whats-his-face are getting a taste of what happens when private ownership doesn't work in their favor. If it meant keeping the gays from infecting the traditional nature of marriage with their cake purchases, then it was fine. When it comes to silencing their guy, now it's a problem.

The switch-up is amusing to say the least.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think a clear and reasonable first step that anyone should be able to get on board with is inciting or encouraging people to commit violence. If you do that in my store, I get to tell you to leave; if you do it on my site, I get to ban you; if you want me to bake a cake to celebrate a murder you're planning, I get to say no. :p

Should this extend to groups? Maybe. Let's say you don't explicitly say the words, "Let's do some violence," but you self-identify as a Nazi. Does that mean that you are endorsing violence on an existential level? That's probably the conversation that should happen as a next step after banning explicitly violent speech: are there implicitly violent groups? How does one decide that? Founding principles? Statements of the leaders? Interesting question. But with Trump we don't have to go big picture; he personally has explicitly encouraged his supporters to carry out violence against everyone from racial minorities to journalists to protestors peacefully exercising their rights. That's unacceptable and Twitter should have banned him long ago, as others have said, because he's been basically violating their TOS from the beginning of all this nonsense.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, that was kind of what I was trying to say. We instinctively know what's bad and dangerous on a moral level, but for the purposes of legislation and regulation these things need to be defined more precisely, ideally without any loopholes. That can be more tricky than one would originally think. :)

Jedi Merkurian and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So has Jack Ma been cancelled?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Very possibly by the Chinese government, yes.

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Jack speaks (not Jack Ma - he proper gone)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    There was a general parliament debate today between the party leaders. Our far-right snowflake was upset about twitter closing Trump's account, but I must say that our PM answered that pretty well by simply saying that there also needs to be rules on how you can express yourself in social media.

12. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Stong Female Leader™ Merkel was also upset with Twitter for banning Trump’s account, which was…. weird. Like she forgot just a few years ago Germany passed the NetzDG bill.

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That makes perfect sense. She thinks deletion of social media accounts of state leaders should be based on regulation, not on a CEO's whim.

Lord Vivec, Juliet316, 3sm1r and 3 others like this.
  14. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I don’t recall she being specific about state leaders’ accounts - the statement given was just a general "oh but free speech" whine - but the official White House account was not deleted. Just Trump’s personal account. Which I don’t think should be immune from the company’s rules just because he jumped in the social hierarchy.

I should point out that, the reason why I mentioned the NetzDG bill, was because it was massively criticizing precisely for handing off speech policing powers to private online companies, or as you call it, "CEO's whims", among other things.

15. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    *Sees thread question*

In regards to fanatical MAGA-cultmembers, acolytes or any other traitorous officials of that church? No, not far enough. Not by a longshot.

16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Perhaps you should look up the statement again then.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I heard her statement and while I don’t agree, I see the point she was making.

SuperWatto likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I see a number of leaders have denounced the banning of Trump off Twitter and they do make fair and reasonable points.

On the other hand, he clearly has influence and incites hatred and chaos and people embrace it as an excuse to be really terrible, hate filled dicks, doing awful things.

on the other other hand, I do despair that world leaders are weighing in on ****ing Twitter. Can you imagine twenty years ago, Tony Blair going, “while I do disagree with the stance President Bush has on The Phantom Menace, a view he has vehemently defended on the JC, I cannot help but defend his right to have opinion. Please unban him. But he’s wrong, TPM is *****.”

blackmyron, Darth Punk and 3sm1r like this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I'd be ok with cancelling Merkel.

On topic, yes.

20. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Unpopular opinion: if it's a platform so ubiquitous you can no longer do politics without it across a large part of the globe, it should be appropriated by the UN and governed by it.

21. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    @Lordban
    I favor something in that spirit, if not precisely that.

CairnsTony likes this.
  22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Do you think George Bush would still be talking about TPM in 2001?

Wait.......it’s 20 years since Bush was elected......Oh no............ You all got so old.

canceled.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Trying to watch videos on a leftist channel I discovered recently, and I get this

[​IMG]

Saying that the CIA's actions amount to terrorism is "inappropriate or offensive to some audiences." The video was instantly demonitized and it gets flagged with this. A reminder that social media censoring is largely used to censor and suppress leftist thought and speech.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Can't do politics without it? I think if someone has their own entire press team they are quite capable of getting their inane messages out without Twitter.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nathan J. Robinson has been fired as a columnist at The Guardian for tweeting an obvious, rather tame joke about U.S. support for Israel.

I am—to my constant shame—moderately active on Twitter, so I relieved my anger with a joke tweet. Sarcastically I wrote two linked tweets. (1) “Did you know that the US Congress is not actually allowed to authorize any new spending unless a portion of it is directed toward buying weapons for Israel? It’s the law.” (2) “or if not actually the written law then so ingrained in political custom as to functionally be indistinguishable from law.”

Someone call Bari Weiss! She'll defend Nathan!