main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Has time changed your opinion of Jar-Jar Binks?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Singing Yoda, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Singing Yoda

Singing Yoda Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2016
    I mistakenly posted this as a bashing post for Jar Jar the first time around and it rightfully so got locked. So I'll rephrase...

Came across this article on Screen Rant listing the 15 worst thing's Jar Jar has ever done: http://screenrant.com/worst-most-wtf-things-jar-jar-binks-did-has-done

Bashing Jar Jar has gone from being the standard to a cliche into meme fodder. Now that so many years have passed do you find yourself as much opposed to him as the day Jar Jar first graced the cover of Rolling Stone magazine back in 1999 or have you grown to accept him as an intricate part of the sagas and found what humor there is in all the WTF things he's done?

After all, doesn't tragedy plus time equal comedy? Or are some offensives too horrible to forget?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nothing to forgive. He was never my favorite character but I never outright disliked him either.

Is he funny? No. But he was a good-hearted character who was pretty naive and got played pretty well by Palpatine.

I'll leave this open but I'm going to reword the thread title a bit to allow for a broader range of options other than "forgiveness."

DrDre, Singing Yoda and Deliveranze like this.
  3. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Jedi Knight star 1

May 3, 2014
    My opinion of Jar Jar Binks has been the same from day one, and has never changed. I loved the character from the first time and still do.

4. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Sure he can be a bit much, but I think the hate tends to be a bit overblown. But I can understand the backlash he received considering people probably assumed he would be sticking around for the later prequels. I really enjoyed his ppearances in TCW. Would've actually liked to see a bit more of him in that show. His antics are probably better suited to an animated format anyway.

Singing Yoda likes this.
  5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I've been Jar Jar neutral for a long time now. I can see what Lucas was trying to achieve with him. He didn't really hit the mark for me but he's ok.

Dandelo likes this.
  6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Yeah, I never found him hilarious but I never really thought the Ewok antics were funny either. To me, he's just there. I was born in 1997 so maybe that helps. Idk. He isn't the first character that comes to mind in the prequels and it's annoying when people who don't like his character use it to justify their hatred for the entire Prequel Trilogy. I can see not liking him, even 18 years after TPM but if anyone who downright HATES a fictional character is quite silly and childish imo.

Alienware and Singing Yoda like this.
  7. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    I think Jar Jar had potential but ultimately ended up being a major detriment to TPM. He has a great visual design, comes from an interesting and unique culture, and is very impressive cgi for 1999. However his over the top silly antics just drag down the movie so much. The battle of Naboo which could have been great ended up being a glorified slapstick routine thanks to Jar Jar, erasing any sense of tension or drama. Jar Jar's brand of humor is incredibly juvenile with the poop joke, fart joke, slapstick, etc. and ends up degrading some otherwise solid scenes throughout the movie. This is all too bad because Jar Jar is actually a pretty likable character antics aside. So yes, I strongly dislike Jar Jar and think he's a detriment to the series but I don't truly hate him. My opinion on him hasn't really changed at all over the years. I've always felt that he's just really lame.

FARK2005, Sarge and Singing Yoda like this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i was in my 20's when tpm came out and i never had a problem.

Alienware likes this.
  9. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Not really. I only had to pretend the Sith lord theory is true to make him tolerable.

10. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't know, this still seems a bit like bashing to me - what with the assumption that we were all opposed to him from the get-go and all.

I liked Jar Jar back when I first saw TPM (I was thirteen in '99, so I wasn't just a toddler laughing at the funny frog-man), and liked that the new trilogy would have an alien sidekick, just like Chewie in the OT.
    Now I'm thirty, and I still like Jar Jar. The slapstick is a bit much at times, and I absolutely hate the farting Eopie joke (toilet humour is just never funny), but it's still forgiveable.
    As anakinfansince1983 said he's good-hearted, and I find myself having sympathy with him. He tries, he's just in way over his head.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I never hated him.
    Ewoks were no masterpiece, either.

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Sadly, no. From reading the novelisation of TPM back around 1999/2000, I understand what the point of the character was and why he was there, but its realisation in the film was far too over the top, didn't work, and still doesn't. Too juvenile, as opposed to the much broader appeal of the classic comical interaction between C-3PO and R2-D2 in the OT. Supposedly, earlier drafts had him as a far less goofy character, more a bewildered innocent.

Jar-Jar isn't quite as unbearable as the reaction would indicate, but the real mistake is that he's there for so much of the film. Audiences sitting down to watch the first episode of the backstory to the Original Star Wars Trilogy were suddenly confronted with the relentless slapstick antics of a bizarre new CGI alien - who had more screentime than Obi-Wan Kenobi!!!

FWIW, the droid sidekick in Rogue One appeared to be an attempt in the other direction - a drier, more cynical comical foil - and it didn't work, either. Just as annoying, but not quite as in-your-face. Simply wasn't done well enough.

MOC Vober Dand and Bee Bee like this.
  13. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Nope. I never had any problems with Jar-Jar. I liked and accepted him from the first time I saw the movie and wasn't aware of the whole "Jar-Jar haters" trend on the internet.

And frankly, I don't like these internet trends which are accepted as gospel ("prequels suck", "jar jar sucks"...). It's perfectly fine to dislike Jar-Jar, or the prequels, or whatever you want, but I don't like when everyone repeats that as a mantra.

I understand the frustation from the 99 fan perspective, but considering TPM alone (as a stand-alone movie first and foremost, even if it's tied to the rest of the Saga), Jar-Jar's screentime is perfectly justified, as his role is much more important than Obi-Wan's. And of course, we could argue about whethever Obi-Wan should've had a more substantial role (or replaced Qui-Gonn) but I like how Obi-Wan starts the Saga as a relatively secondary character and gradually becomes more important (and you could say the same about Anakin, a boy who doesn't appear until 30 minutes into the movie!).

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There are moments when I find JJ genuinely funny. "My tongue is numb. I'm stuck." Maybe that scene appeals to me because I've been a mechanic and I can both sympathize and empathize with it.

But overall, his humor is far too juvenile. Potty jokes may be funny to 4 year olds, but not me. And the way his slapstick antics only killed battle droids and not his own soldiers in the big battle, that was far too over the top; my willing suspension of disbelief could not stand up to that.

That's how I've always felt, and the years have not changed my opinion.

Bee Bee likes this.
  15. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Not really. I'm indifferent towards him but he is sometimes funny. Never super annoying in my opinion.

16. Lazy_Ewok

Lazy_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2016
    I think that he is still a stupid character. I don't get angry when I see him but he is still annoying and episode 1 would have better with out Jar-Jar since he is one of the things that I find disappointing about the prequels.

17. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Not a one bit.

18. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes.

He's even more awesome than I thought he was at first.

19. SkooterDawg

SkooterDawg Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2016
    I've never minded him- and I quite appreciate the roles he had in AOTC, ROTS, and TCW. I laugh at Jar Jar and his potty jokes not because the joke is funny, but just at how pitiful Ahmed Best and George Lucas see that now. He didn't mess up the story or anything, so he was just a side thing (yes he helps in the Battle of Naboo, but he doesn't mess up the plot). I have no problem with Ewoks whatsoever by the way (love them a lot).

Darth Dnej likes this.
  20. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I thought over time I was ok with him until I saw TPM in 3D a few years back. I think the problem was I was forced to pay 100% attention to the movie instead of occasionally being distracted by other things around me, and IMO he gets so obnoxious at points throughout the film.

Onion likes this.
  21. Onion

Onion Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2016
    Originally didn't mind him, have grown to hate him. Feels so much like pandering to children and cheap humor to have him on screen. Each Star Wars film is a treasure...a 2 hour window into a beloved universe., and we've only gotten 8 of them! Each second of film time and each character is immensely valuable in fleshing out the SW canon, and I feel like JJB stole much of it portraying a slapstick gag-machine. I watched a fan edit where Jarjar is mostly a silent sidekick and it dramatically changed the tone of the film to a more serious one (for the better). Same with the goofy battle droids. I wish Lucas could've treated the franchise with a little more respect than he did with TPM and (to a lesser extent) special editions edits.

Sarge likes this.
  22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I don't know if I can accept an onion's wisdom....
    :p

Onion and {Quantum/MIDI} like this.
  23. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    He's okay.

TheMoldyCrow and Onion like this.
  24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that's because jar jar is "the fool". "the fool" is way more foolish than any other character.

The Fool

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Neither were the two droids and Chewbacca, truth be told.