main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Has time changed your opinion of Jar-Jar Binks?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Singing Yoda, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Didn't care about him one way or another initially, now I like him. Not all Star Wars elements have to be the same, and I think there's definitely room for goofy elements.

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    No.* To this day I never did understand the need for Jar Jar in the films.

3. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    No. Worst character in the entire SW universe.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

NO.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Jar-Jar WHO?

Either I'm suffering from cognitive dissonance or have applied Damnatio Memoriae, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility that's a combination of both, perhaps. :p

6. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    My opinion has actually changed for the worse. I was 22 when I saw the Phantom Menace and I didn't mind Jar Jar at first. I actually found some his the scenes a little bit funny. But the more I watched the movie, the more I started to dislike him. Now as I am older and more mature I practically cringe at the thought of him.

So yes, my opinion of him has changed. The funny thing is, I love pretty much everything else about the Phantom Menace and I can get past his scenes because the rest of the movie is so good.

7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I've always oddly related to Jar Jar. He's shown as the one who doesn't fit in, something I can definitely identify with. I've always felt like I don't fit in at school, and Jar Jar shows that even a misfit can do good.

8. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Nope. Thought he was hilarious back then and he still amuses me now. Never understood the hate.

9. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    He's probably the reason Disney bought Lucasfilm. Perhaps we should be grateful?

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

While I get the indirect argument, that Lucas was done with SW because of the amount of grief he received from the PT (and in particular Jar Jar). The profit machine that Star Wars (and Indiana Jones) franchises are, is the major reason why Disney acquired it from Lucas.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not true though.

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I said that it was an argument, not that I agreed with it. Did Lucas plan on filming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX before he made the decision to sell to Disney, or was his decision to sell to Disney the driving force to preparing story treatments for the ST?

Also, lets not get to far off the topic of this thread.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He planned to do the story for the sequel trilogy and direct Episode VII, leaving the remaining two for other directors while he supervised/produce them. Similar to what happened in the OT.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

And then he decided to sell to Disney? Why the sudden change of heart?

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because the whole thing would take a lot of time from his life (just like the previous films did), and his daughter became a priority and he wanted to raise her. He decided to sell the company because it was an inevitability if he wasn't planning to be hands-on anymore.

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I respect your opinion, but I am not convinced thats the full story. In any event, my view on Jar Jar has not changed since 1997.

17. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    It sort of seems natural that as we grow older and more sentimental, there would be a natural warming of most any character; particularly when there was such a long hiatus after the prequels when, let's face it, at some point we would have taken "Star Wars: An Ewoks & Gungans Story", as long as there was a random lightsaber or Star Destroyer thrown in.

I take Star Wars a lot less seriously in some ways, more seriously in others. But you pick your battles, eh. There's some stuff with main characters which bugs me a lot more in terms of compromising the integrity of the story (or at least, my perspective of the story).

18. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Episode 8 will change everything when Snoke is revealed to be Jar Jar.

You'll look back at the prequels in a way like you see Yoda before he revealed himself to Luke. Playful at first then you find out he's uber powerful.

Jar Jar, the most powerful force user in the history of everything.

Singing Yoda likes this.
  19. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    I always thought he was funny, but at times over the top, and given entirely too much screen time in The Phantom Menace. I never hated him though. I've always kind of leaned more on the side of being a Jar Jar apologist.

In truth, Boss Nass was the Gungan that annoyed me the most, because he always spoke so slowly and just caused every scene he was in to drag.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The worst I ever thought of him was silly. Never even thought of him as annoying, really. He's fine.

ewoksimon likes this.
  21. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016

Heh. True. That said, Jar Jar and Goofy are just such a a nice fit. Corporations love a good synergy. :p

My answer to the thread topic is no.

Singing Yoda likes this.
  22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I didn't have much of an opinion on him when I first saw TPM. Now, I find him half amusing, half aggravating.

23. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I like him, he has his moments. I prefer Gungans to Ewoks.

24. SouthernYankeeJedi

SouthernYankeeJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2017
    I'm mainly neutral towards him. Liked him as a little kid, was more frustrated with him as I became a teenager, but I've mellowed down to a neutral in my 20's.

25. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Only slightly. I didn't like him when TPM first came out and now I dislike him even more. Not enough to ruin the movies or anything but I just wish GL had gone a different direction.

Sarge likes this.