main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Has your view of Vader changed after ROTS?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Buddy_Lee, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yank

Yank Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    If Vader hadn't have showed some form of remorse at the end of the movie, I would just think of him as being slightly more tragic, sort of a seperate being from Anakin, but because he did, yeah, I watch the OT in a completely new light.

2. scream_anakin

scream_anakin Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    I don't know why, but after seeing ROTS, I think Anakin as a man is much more dangerous looking and scary because he doesn't have control over anything in his life. Anakin is much angrier and out of control than Vader and that I think is what makes him intimidating.

Just my opinion.

P.S. I think Hayden Christensen was the best choice of actor to play Anakin. He did a brilliant job. And he looks fantastic too!!!

3. BobaFett-004

BobaFett-004 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    Have you even watched the movies?

Vader is Anakin and Anakin is Vader, they are not different people but two sides of one person (the good and the bad side).

Here is another reason why I still like Vader the most...
    In ROTS, Anakin says to Padme he can kill Darth Sidious anytime if he wanted to and that he could rule the galaxy with her.
    However, in ROTJ he actually does it. So his prophecy to end all evil is fullfilled.

4. Darth-Jedi-Master

Darth-Jedi-Master Jedi Master star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    Of course there is a difference with the characters, you begin to respect Obi Wan allot more and really believe he was once a great Jedi, because he was. The PT was necessary to bring these characters to life. I loved Anakin in ROTS he was good and he also did a lot of bad things but I don?t think that ever changed the way I feel about him, I felt he was a lost boy with no way out of the darkness and hate that drove him to the dark side.

After seeing the movie I watched ROTJ the next day and It was like watching it for the first time, I cried when Vader Dies I never do, but I did because of the PT, so to answer the question yes after watching the PT we do have a different view on the Vader and to me it was a better view.

5. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    Yes the inigma that was Darth Vader is no more. I finally have a face to put under that helmet (besides the egg shaped head in ROTJ). He was a real person, who had real feelings, relationships, love and these incredible events lead up to the end. I do not fear DV I pity him. Poor kid was a slave and an psuedo-orphan for most of his coming of age years. He had no life, he had nothing. I just see him as a tragic figure who succome to everything evil because he thought it would help him. Yes he is greedy and a murderer and there is no way you could forget this, but he always struggled with the good and bad. You seem him waiver on this issue until ANH.

6. DARTHRONIN314

DARTHRONIN314 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2005
    Sure does change my view,.... for the better!
    It's pretty much what I thought Vader was. I say this all the time,.... Vader is only 23/24 yrs. young. & in the suit already!
    The scene where he asks for Padme, is so human,.... you see Lord Vader on the outside but, on the inside a portion is still Anakin.
    His regret propels him to become this bitter man/machine for 20 yrs.
    What I'm saying is, 20yrs. of Sith & in EP-V the Emperor tells him that the rebel who destroyed the Death Star is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker, Vader thinks of S#^%, <--(not sith)NOW THAT MAKES SENSE.
    He automatically hides his feelings by telling the
    The Emperor, "If he can be turned, he would become a great asset."

Can't show emotion, The Emperor knows,.... he'll use Vader to get to his son. However, over confidence was his undoing.
    The power of a father's love for his son, The Emperor never banked on.

Bottom line,... because of ROTS,..... the depth of Darth Vader is greater than before.

"I fell the conflict within you, let go of your hate!"

P.S. I'm at work doing this sith, sorry for mis-spellings.
    My Emperor keeps cruising around my desk! He's Jealous! heeehee

7. Dagobah_Dweller

Dagobah_Dweller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    not really. even as a kid, watching RotJ at the end you get this sense that there is there is this sad, broken down, old man behind that mask....all the PT does, for me, is help me understand the Anakin/Vader character a little more...I've always had the same opinion on him, though, he's just a lackey...a sad individual who got played by the Emperor to do his bidding.

8. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I kind of knew that Vader was still human before the suit and that he killed many Jedi. Seeing how his turn to the dark side came about, it now appears to be that he sold his soul in exchange for power and supremecy. My view of him didn't change much though.

9. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    In ROTS, when Vader puts on the suit, and we hear him speak for the first time, he has the deep, dark mechanical voice. From a logical standpoint, this is because he is wearing a mask. But from a storytelling standpoint, it is to show that he is no longer Anakin Skywalker, that he has been consumed by Darth Vader.

When I hear Darth Vader speak, I cannot picture Anakin the Jedi. I just keep seeing Darth Vader in the suit. Which is exactly what Lucas wanted us to see. He wanted us to know that there is no more Anakin Skywalker, just Darth Vader. That makes his redemption much more amazing!

Lucas has once again proved his genius!

10. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    IT totally changed it for me. It makes me realise the most evil person in that galaxy isnt Vader but Sideous. Hes the man behind Vader pulling the strings.
    Vader is a lost soul, doing what he does because he knows nothing else. Its not until he realises his child is alive and out there does that spark of humanity start to crawl its way back to the surface.
    His redemption is Luke offering him another way and him taking it.
    Seeing him as the person he was before the mask puts that humanity into context, why he ended up like that.
    I feel pity for him in a way, yes he did terrible things, things if you were put into that position im sure you might think about. i know i would.

I also when i watch the OT see Hayden's Anakin behind the mask in a way...I dont see Vader as a n emotionless machine

11. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    I would say my view had change a little bit since ROTS after seeing how he ended up in the suit and knowing that he legs got cut off i never knew his legs to cut off. but other than that nope nothing changed for me.

12. jedicam10

jedicam10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2005
    After RotS, I felt sorry for the lost, cunfused, twisted and destroyed soul.

:(

13. JedimasterMoon

JedimasterMoon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2005
    Yes, I actually saw what he did instead of just hearing about it.

14. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    My view hasn;t changed about VAder, however we did learn al ot huh? If anything his character has been broadened/deepened if you will.

15. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Of coarse not, where'd you get that idea from?[face_laugh]

16. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    My view hasnt changed that much.

I dont like Hayden at all. His acting, his lines. That has caused me to not be too thrilled about Anakin in general. I dont buy what the character says, so it makes it tough to enjoy the character. Im not sure if i blame Hayden or Lucas. Probably both.

Put a not so good actor with not so good lines in front of a green screen and there you go!

EDIT: In fairness, the characters are together are complex & very cool

17. Buzzz

Buzzz Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2005
    I gave Vader not much thought until I saw ROTS, and Anikin/Vader killed those younglings. Now I think of him as pure evil.:mad:

18. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    Yes. I feel slightly sorry for him- he gets duped into being Palp's yes man and doesn't catch on until the almost end( hey! Maybe there's double meaning by Palps in ROTJ: "Only now, at the end, do you begin to understand". Think about it: Vader finally realizes what an evil jerk Palpatine is when he's frying Luke) of his life.

19. RangerFett

RangerFett Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2005
    He's not "absolute" evil. I think that's the point GL wanted to take us to, even though we saw that in ROTJ. He could be you or me, undermined by our own ego and fears of loss. How far are you willing to go to save the one you love? How far are you willing to go to be the master of not only your own destiny, but the destiny of others -- others who you might dislike, so that you can now mess with them?

To some, that's enticing. And that's the trap Anakin/Vader falls head-first into. A trap that was not only built by Palpatine, but aided by the Jedi who gave Anakin so many insecurities, he overcompensated with unabashed pride.

I still contend his love for Padme was not a selfless love, but a selfish love. Padme was a "trophy," the beautiful queen who was now ALL his. She was an extention of his pride. The true tragedy is that she really loved him. The tragedy to me is not his, it's hers (but that's for another thread...)

20. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004

Here ya go...

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=19599227&start=19599408

And Darth Sidious too;)

21. Jedi-Bitch

Jedi-Bitch Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2005
    Before the New trilogy came out, i just saw Vador as this villian that i knew absolutely nothing about. I didnt really like Vador. For me, now that i know his childhood and actually how he turned evil--i like him alot more and sympathise for him. I dont hate him for anything that he did except when he killed the kids--i thought that was totally unnessessary. However the reason for his turn was meant to be a good reason-to save his wife's life. But then it turned to a need for power---which at the end destroyed him and the ones he loved. So tragic.

22. THEFORCEROCKS

THEFORCEROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2004
    To some, that's enticing. And that's the trap Anakin/Vader falls head-first into. A trap that was not only built by Palpatine, but aided by the Jedi who gave Anakin so many insecurities, he overcompensated with unabashed pride.

Well not necessarily Ranger I dont think Anakin was that insecure maybe fearful and evil sometimes but in ROTS he definitely seemed a lot more confident in his skills. Also like Eleanor Roosevelt said "No one can make you feel inferior without your permission." I dont think the Jedi gave Anakins insecurities I think Anakin was secure enough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.