main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Have you bought the new stuff? If not why not?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The Ganner, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    I liked some of the Legends canon. I liked Zahn's earlier stuff and duology, enjoyed the Tales of, and tracked down anything X-Wing or rebel soldier related. I stopped reading after the Allston Vong books when they all got super grimdark, read TUF for completion's sake, wookiepedia'd the silly soap opera drama and caedus stuff, and came back to watch Mercy Kill well, "mercy-kill" the Legendsverse. I thought it was a good note to end on.

I didn't have huge hopes for the new books, but I was interested to see what the new set of EU books had to offer. I had liked some of Chuck Wendig's previous work...

Rebels was about half-good, half kiddie/meh, the first run of Poe Dameron comics was fun, but I haven't bought any of the new novels. While Rogue One and Solo managed to flesh out the GFFA in interesting ways and make it feel like a living, breathing organism again, the utterly small scale of both the main saga movies (talented actors aside) and the constraints the new films and books had to operate under (We need a fractured and ineffectual NR and we need to build up the first order, what's scale, we only need one fleet for the NR, etc) while not being able to reveal many details about the main characters, made reading about the founding of a Republic that simply repeats mistakes of its predecessor and gets blapped with the Colossus of Tarkin's Nostril of Palpatine's Sun Crusher #3 feel... Limited and futile.

So while I'm tentatively interested in anthology stories, I'm afraid the new GFFA has left me cold. It's not SO bad though. We've got a lot of cool new stuff inspired by Star Wars doing Colorful Space adventures (Guardians of the Galaxy, Thor, etc) and Space Politics with Actual Humans Humaning (The Expanse) so it's not like I'm berefit.

Outside of some bandai models/F-toys from my local hobby shop and making sure I had the "Fab Four" Rebel pilots, the only lisenced Star Wars thing I've picked up was that outstanding Jaina Solo action figure from the Black Series a few other people did. Glad that one won a contest, hoping we get some more legendsverse votes in.

Perhaps Lt. Kettch or Ton Phanan?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Got me a sweat sweat shirt last week...........

[​IMG]

Living in it...........

3. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I have only the DVDs of the new movies. I used to have two novels (A New Dawn and Tarkin) and the first issues of the "Star Wars" series but I gave those stuff away because I'm not interested in the new "canon" in any way.

The last Star Wars stuff I bought was the hardcover edition of "Crimson Empire" from Dark Horse. I also think about buying some hardcover collections of other "Legends" EU comicbooks that I still don't have. But those would have to be in French or German, since the American editions have become quite scarce and expensive.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  4. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    I finally bought around to buying most of the books I've been missing out on. As soon as I stop being lazy and sit down to read them, I'll finally be caught up on the series (current) lore as a whole.

5. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    I read a ton of stuff. One I love, Lords of the Sith, Dark Disciple, Both Darth Vader comics, Dr. Alpha comics, A New Down,Tarkin,Lost Stars, Ashoka, Rebels and The two Thrawn books. I enjoyed Rogue One, Solo and The Force Awakans. The Last Jedi was ok.

I haven't read the Kanan Comics or Bloodlines.

Didn't really like Plasma

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  6. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    So a little update on this, I've since picked up the hardcover of Last shot, and the paperback of Inferno Squad. I'm reading Last Shot now and quite enjoying it. Inferno squad seems quite excellent from the couple chapter I read of it as well. Shame Battlefront 2's campaign thoroughly wastes the characters. I could have done with a multi-book series all about Iden. She's a great character in the book.

Speaking of great characters in books that were wasted, I bought Phasma on day one but have still yet to touch it. I was busy then, and then TLJ came out... I keep hearing it's actually quite good, and I love Delilah's writing. I just... I just can't get excited. It being good makes it even worse how useless the character was in the films. I understand making the character interesting after the fact, but I can't help but feel so manipulated.

They knew she looked cool, and people were hyped. So they sold us this interesting book and backstory, even when they knew she died like a chump and was barely in the film. Boba's reputation came after. We didn't get a book about him before RotJ. We got the opposite. It's such a waste. I'd be so mad if I spent my time working on a novel for such a useless character. It's like buying a Porkins novel before ANH came out that built him up as an interesting Ace Pilot.

7. SithOverlord101

SithOverlord101 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2018
    A few - Lost Stars and Catalyst (really want to read the Thrawn novels). Otherwise, I'll probably stick with Legends novels.

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Picked up Poes X Wing for $45 still in box.....with figure. So that makes 5 Poes in my home and two of his ship! :D

Bernael Edit: Thread locked by moderator due to inactivity. Should you desire the thread reactivated please contact Sinrebirth, darthbernael, or Bardan_Jusik.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.