main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Have you ever done blood donation?

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by Skiara , Jul 9, 2009.

?

Have you ever done blood donation?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2009.
  1. Yes, of course!

50.0%
  2. Yes, once, but never again.

8.3%
  3. Not yet, but I would like in the future.

20.8%
  4. No, I prefer donating money instead of blood.

12.5%
  5. No, never!

8.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    If you don't donate blood, it would be cool to know the reasons. The same, if there are special events for blood donation or if you have experienced something special during blood donation or what made you donating blood.

money = money, toys, cakes, etc.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    My mum's a haemotologist so I know firsthand the importance of this. So I donate regularly :)

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes, multiple times, but due to medication I no longer am allowed to. :(

4. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I donate as often as I'm able, usually platelets and packed red blood cells. You can also get on the bone marrow registy at your local blood bank.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    No. I haven't been legally able to for very long :p but more importantly, needles freak me out like none other and I've had enough bad experiences that I don't want to voluntarily. However, there have been a couple blood drives on campus I've thought about giving to, and I'd like to work up the courage to because it is important.

6. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, I do it as often as possible. It helps people and so it's important. :)

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I can't or else I'd go into shock and drop dead.

Honestly, that's what the Doctor told me when I wanted to donate blood.

8. AT-AT_Commander

AT-AT_Commander Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2001

Same issue here. Oh well Wife still does on occasion also.

9. JarJarJedi

JarJarJedi Force Ghost star 6

Feb 6, 2001
    I have sucussfully donated once. In high school. I have gone back... three times, and got the needle clogged. My blood is too thick, and my veins are too small for the needles. Therefore, "once, but never again". ;)

10. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I have donated blood 12 times.

I donate just because you never know who could use it.

I know if I ever need a blood transfusion or something, I hope the nurse doesn't come back and say, "sorry, but we are all out of your blood type today!" lol

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    12 times is something! I don't know how many I have, but I guess less.

Yep, that would be one of the worst things that could happen.

It's cool to see that most of us would love to donate blood, although for some it's not possible. :)

12. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Did it and would like to do it again. Haven't found the time yet... [face_blush]

13. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    No, I would rather donate money. Plus I hate needles lol.

14. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Yes I have a couple of times, hate needles and have passed out on all occasions, even when I go for medical reasons I get whoosy.

I haven't in a long time, I have a high white blood cell count getting a new tattoo just about the time I'm free & clear to give again.

I will say Kudos to everyone that does this regularly, I was in a car accident years ago & needed 18 pints or whatever, the bill was going to be huge just for the blood because I needed so much so all my family & friends and co workers donated in my name to cover the cost & they got 3 X more then I used, so all was good.

Keep up the good work.

On a side note, my FF does tons of activities & work w/ several charities, we were thinking of doing a "Sean of the Dead" type theme at our next Con & try to pull off our first blood drive, but no further talk has come of that yet. But w/ True Blood & Twilight it would make the blood drive easier to pull off, IMO. I don't see how Zombies & blood drive mix :D

15. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    I have not been able to donate blood, but I would love to do it. I actually have wanted to donate blood for years. I have plenty of blood, and since I love to help people giving of my blood would be very helpful to somebody. So as soon as I am able to give blood I want to do it.

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I'm not allowed to donate :( I tried once and when they asked if I had travelled abroad and I listed the places I've been they said they didn't want my blood :(

I was so upset I chopped off my hair (it was VERY long at the time) and donated it to locks of love.

17. EIH

EIH Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2009
    you should check out transhematology

18. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    I try to donate blood every 4 months. Last time I almost felt, and I had to wait there for 1 hour until I felt much better. Was my mistake for not having anything to eat before I went to donate some blood. ;)

19. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    No, I'm far too squeamish. :eek: I wish I could, but I couldn't even get my ears pierced. [face_blush]

20. juliant

juliant Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    I want to donate, by due to under weight it's not possible.

21. ashleygrey

ashleygrey Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2010
    Yes, I've been a blood donor 2 years already. It is a great feeling to donate blood because you save lives. You can visit bloodbanker.com to have some more info on how to be a blood donor.

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Yep, that's true. :)

The last time I went to blood donation I learned that you get some kind of 'congratulation' when you reach a certain amount of donations. They never really promote this, so I was surprised at the one side and a bit like 'I knew it', since I've thought about that some time ago and that it might be clever to keep people donating blood.

23. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Yes, once, but never again. They had to stick each arm several times before they finally got the needle in the vain leaving me with massive bruises on each arm and it really fracking hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.