main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Have you ever paid attention to the background space battle in ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HevyDevy, Dec 15, 2015.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Any thoughts guys?

2. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I've wondered how obvious the symbolic turn in the tide in the background was noticed by others?

3. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Many many times... and wished we saw more of that than the trade disputes and politics.

Iron_lord and HevyDevy like this.
  4. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I thought the politics was handled well in TPM at least, personally. It's pretty important to establish Palpatine.
    And to be honest I think ROTS could be more political if anything. Maybe not necessarily the Padme deleted scenes; as much as they do for her character they don't really add enough to the themes to be honest.

Imo Anakin's turn being tweaked to make the Jedi look a little less innocent (and less gullible), and more eager to boot out Palpatine, plus Anakin having views a little closer to Palpatine's politically, would have made the turn more powerful.

5. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I like the contrast between the ferocious battle outside ad the calm Palpatine inside.
    There are lots of such contrasts in ROTS. But actually I read this because 2 days ago I saw the most ridiculous complain of the so called overuse of CGI in the PT: every window was CGI (well actually blue screens, but anyway). This is the result of those window-blue screens, visual masterpieces to the last detail. Again, interesting observations. Hevy.

6. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

The slight change from a dark brown tunic under the black leather tabard(his aotc costume) to a black tunic under the black leather tabard is a Real improvement. Also I think Hayden christensen bulking up in muscle mass a Bit and losing the padawan haircut helped.

Rots
    [​IMG]

Aotc

[​IMG]

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes!

The attention to detail Lucas gives is incredible!

HevyDevy likes this.
  8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I guess we can add the throne room from TLJ now, with Anakin and Kylo choosing evil yet Luke saying no.

9. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Damn this is great. Can't believe they actually made this in the background of that great fight scene. George Lucas, legend you are!

Never noticed this, but I will now!

10. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    In case anyone hasn't kept an eye on the window as Anakin duels, let me know if you think it is intentional.

11. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    This isn't thematic so much as it is technical but I appreciate that there seems to be some actual continuity to the battle seen through the windows as well. Shows a keen attention to detail there that enhances the scope.

12. Darth Skippy

Darth Skippy Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2018
    Just watched Ep.3 the other day before I read this, with the intent of trying to catch everything in the background, and didn't even come close to catching all that in the windows. In that sequence, I was just trying to identify how many different ships were used. There is something to this, but I wonder how much was intentional or coincidence.

13. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    The Republic is not the faction under attack. That's why the movie is called Attack of the Clones. To quote Obi-Wan from the previous movie: "It's an invasion army."

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Our friends from the Trade Federation have pledged their support and when their battle droids are combined with yours we shall have an army greater than any in the galaxy. The Jedi will be overwhelmed. The Republic will agree to any demands we make." ― Count Dooku

Dooku plans to use the droid armies to attack and blackmail the Republic. It's why the clone army goes to Geonosis to begin with. To try to prevent that from happening. So yes, the Republic was under attack. And the whole war (on the surface) is about that.

The movie is called Attack of the Clones because it showcases the attack of the clones on Geonosis. The reason for why they attack is what I've explained above: To prevent the planned Separatist attack against an unprotected Republic.

That Obi-Wan quote doesn't apply. It's completely unrelated to this.

15. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Their "demands" are to separate, though. There's nothing in there about attacking the Republic; "the Jedi will be overwhelmed" can just as easily refer to their attempts to hold the Republic together against the will of the people. After all, Windu admits as much at the beginning of the movie.

A preemptive invasion based on weak intel makes you the clear aggressor in real life, I don't know why the Republic would be judged any differently (until/unless Sidious' role on both sides became public knowledge).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There is nothing preventing them from separating (so much so that some have in fact done so). What the Republic is doing is to try to change their mind through negotiations.

Windu admits at the beginning that there aren't enough Jedi to protect the Republic. Not to hold the Republic against anyone's will. That's not what they are there for.

But that's the whole point for Dooku to justify the war against the Republic. To pretend that the Republic was the aggressor while ommiting his secret plans with the corporations (that the actual separatist systems aren't aware of, just like the corporations aren't aware of also being mere tools for the Sith).

17. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    The Republic is the Empire. The Empire is just what the Republic becomes right.

Interesting points OP. This is why I love Lucas' Star Wars. Everything has a meaning. The battle itself is actually detailed in the background. It isn't just random activity, but events occurring which mirrors the actual central action so to speak.

And yes, the downfall/twilight of the Jedi, as highlighted to in the Arena, as Anakin and Padme are brought out to that rousing Williams' score.

18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Fascinating watching background stuff especially in battle scenes is always fun and interesting.

19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks to anyone who responded.

I love the attention to detail apparent here. Like Lucas sees things on a grand scale, the ebbs and flows of the story symbollicaly moving with the actions of it's inhabitants.

And it has always been interesting to me that the Empire is technically the legally official government. Evil, but the people of the GFFA helped usher it in.
    The First Order in the new films seem like imitators really. I don't like the Empire, but the First Order is arguably even more deluded.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.