main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Have you gotten the Covid vaccine yet?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Apr 12, 2021.

?

Have you gotten the Covid vaccine yet?

1. First dose

29 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Got 2 doses/J&J

63 vote(s)
    54.3%
  3. Nope not yet

24 vote(s)
    20.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm taking extra caution towards vaccination. I have a family history of stroke due to blood clots. The rare blood clotting risk is one reason. I have tried to schedule a vaccination but have been turned away. The last I heard for my location is that vaccination will open up to everyone in May 2021.

There are stories out there of people getting vaccinated and then they still contract Covid. We still have a long way to go in understanding the efficacy of these vaccinations. The variant strains of Covid are also a concern.

The best thing anyone can do is remain under quarantine. By that, I mean limiting social gatherings, wearing a mask, and other similar protections.

Here is one such story of a person who contracted Covid after being vaccinated. This is not the only story of this nature I have seen:
    https://nypost.com/2021/04/10/brooklyn-woman-gets-covid-3-weeks-after-johnson-johnson-vaccine/

Moderna’s and Pfizer’s two-dose vaccines are 94% and 95% effective, respectively, at preventing new coronavirus infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. While it’s more convenient, the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine only provides 66% protection.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Get my second dose Friday.

Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Some people are more prone to arm pain and rashes than others. It depends on someone's sensitivities. You could have only mild rashing with the majority of people. Then one group that is more prone to rashing has some sort of intolerance towards one of the vaccines.

Besides my family history of stroke due to blood clots, I also have a tendency for breakouts and rashes on my arms. Usually, this is not from flu shots or blood draws. It is from other conditions.

4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Fixed.

5. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Not fixed, in my opinion. @Guidman

• People should not do something that is against their will or under an imposed sense of urgency.
    • People are best to read as many of the stories out there as possible so they can make educated decisions.

6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Yeah guys I understand the risks that come with validating vaccine questioning in this moment, but I can promise you that peer pressure or snide comments won't make someone more confident in them.

Lordban, Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The vaccines do not prevent people from contracting covid, they prevent death or hospitalization for severe illness. Some of them having varying rates of efficacy in preventing symptomatic covid (which is not the same as preventing contracting the disease) and the widely reported numbers from clinical trials cannot be directly compared to each other because the trials were conducted under different conditions.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, they actually should.

Imagine saying this about variola major.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, vaccination is absolutely something that should be imposed on someone against their will absent a valid medical exemption.

10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Vaccination could become a requirement to walk through the door in certain places. I'm thinking it will become a requirement. We are just not there yet.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I truly feel like mandatory vaccination, with all the misinformation warfare out there, would lead to increased levels of radicalization and terrorism, so I guess it's a matter of weighing potential deaths from that violence vs the benefits that come with societal herd immunity.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There is already mandatory vaccination for several viral diseases. People who travel overseas are often required to get vaccinated against endemic diseases. Just a few years ago my home state of California cracked down on anti-vaxxers claiming bull**** exemptions. I don't think public health policy should be dictated by Facebook groups and Q drops.

13. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    You are correct.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, we are. What part of "pandemic" are you unsure about?

15. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    How can vaccination be a requirement at this time on April 13, 2021 if everyone is not yet eligible?

We are required to wear face masks and maintain a distance. Public places where I am located are not asking people if they are vaccinated as a condition for entry. The mask is a condition for entry. Maintaining distances can also be enforced.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    News stories breathlessly reporting things out of context, knowing people only read headlines, might be a great place to start, then.

Cynda, Juliet316, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Not really an accurate statement.

It had been that the trials did not investigate (one way or the other) if the vaccines prevented people from contracting COVID. So the conclusion wasn't that it does, it's just that the Phase 2/3 trials were only surveying participants for symptoms, they weren't routinely checking to see if people were developing asymptomatic infections.

There's more recent studies now that vaccination is widespread indicating that the vaccines are preventing people from contracting COVID as well:
    https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n888

So we went from "We don't know if they prevent contracting COVID" to "Evidence suggesting it prevents contracting COVID"

Pensivia and Rew like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Tython sounds like my idiotic neighbor. ****ing embarrassing.

19. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    No, probably not. Might make me feel better for 30 seconds, though.

Also, if someone is still questioning whether vaccination is a good idea, after all this ::gestures vaguely::, it’s not really an issue of “no one has explained it to them politely enough.” I don’t really know what the issue is. I could speculate, but it might get me banned.

@Tython Awakening — If you really are frightened this vaccine will cause you to get blood clots and die, then take two aspirin a half hour before you get the shot, and then get the shot. If you take two aspirin and are still afraid, chug a beer or two, and then get the shot. (Do not drive after chugging said beer.). Or if beer isn’t your thing, explain your fear to your doctor, and ask them to prescribe you 1 pill of Xanax. If they’ll do it for people who fear plane rides (and a lot of them will), they’ll do it to get you vaccinated. Take the Xanax and then get the shot. If two aspirin doesn’t sound like a powerful enough blood thinner, take 800 mg of ibuprofen instead. This will likely cause you to get a big ol’ bruise at the injection site, but you won’t be stroking out any time soon. Also, if you do chug beer, it will make you feel super drunk. Not actually 100% sure some pharmacy tech will give the shot to an obviously-drunk person, who who can say? They might. Try it, if you must. Basically, do whatever it ****ing takes to get yourself to take that shot. And then take the shot. Some kid with cancer who relies on herd immunity not to get sick will thank you. (Actually, they won’t. No one will thank you, but that’s not the point. Get the shot anyway.)

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    My cousin told me that his friend’s mom’s boyfriend got the Pfizer vaccine and three days later his anus fell off! Just dropped clean off! Right out of the blue! I **** you not! And now neither does he!

21. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Yep.

When I travelled to Peru, I got a ton of vaccines and filled up an entire vaccination book with accredited documentation to that effect. One that was absolutely compulsory was Yellow Fever. Without it I would not have been allowed back into Australia.

Sometimes mandatory is the only way to go especially when the alternative is more people dying.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The hidden effects of 5G are what they're not telling us about.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine a couple of days ago and I've had some arm pain. It was immeasurably more painful to watch my father die of covid.

24. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    That is generally good if your statement about kids with cancer is overlooked.

Blood thinning is something to watch out for. I've been adding grapes into my diet for better blood circulation. I really have to question how many things I ingest that can thin my blood.

Wow, can there be such sarcasm given the situation out there? Tell that to someone who lost a parent. I guess we can joke in order to cope...

I have a condition called keratosis pilaris where I can have high sensitivity to certain situations. My arms can break out in rashes, from my upper arm to the tips of my fingers. I have dealt with many recurring rashes and breakout over the past five years. I have to be careful of any situation that could result in a breakout. For example, if I get exposed to one adverse situation, then get exposed to a second adverse situation immediately following the first, that is when I am most likely to experience a rash breakout. Generally, for me, exposure to two adverse situation within days of each other is when I experience a rash breakout.

Since you are interested in anuses, I might add something. When I get a breakout, my anus starts itching like crazy. It's that tingly, itchy feeling and it can last for several days and make a person bed-ridden. We all have variations on body chemistry and different sensitivities.

Do you see the problems with that?

We assume people want and need the vaccination. The vaccination is in their best interest. Given free choices, we trust people to know they need to get vaccinated. A vaccination can also become a condition for entry just like wearing a mask. However, people can still contract Covid after receiving a vaccination. And then we have the different vaccines, Monderna, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, and Astra Zeneca. We can't simply force someone to take one pharmaceutical brand of vaccine. One of these vaccines might be pulled.

Generally, there are enough stories out there to say the fear of blood clotting with Johnson & Johnson is real. If someone has a higher risk for blood clotting, they should avoid the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

We have stories surfacing like this one:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html
    Published April 13, 2021Updated April 14, 2021, 10:41 a.m. ET
    WASHINGTON — Injections of Johnson & Johnson’s coronavirus vaccine came to a sudden halt across the country on Tuesday after federal health agencies called for a pause in the vaccine’s use as they examine a rare blood-clotting disorder that emerged in six recipients.

My most heartfelt sympathies are with you.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  25. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My vaccine twin, we are getting the vaccine the same time and date! If your on East Coast US time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.