main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader) in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Feb 13, 2018.

?

Will Anakin appear in IX?

1. Yes

248 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. No

126 vote(s)
    33.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    I'm pretty sure anyone who has any idea about Star Wars know what Anakin looks like. Not to mention that having him around going to be really nostalgic for people who grow up with PT and TCW.

Also, showing Vader instead of Anakin is going to downplay his redemption.

2. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Not to mention it doesn't quite make sense. "Vader" is not part of the cosmic force, Anakin is.

3. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Vader's mask was mostly there in TFA.
    Anakin may appear in EPISODE IX.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah. Kylo worships Vader, but he doesn’t exist anymore. It’s only Anakin.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I would literally tear up to see Hayden Christensen in his Episode III look alongside Luke and confronting Rey or Kylo.

It would be perfect and make me feel like the ST ties back to the PT.

6. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    The mentality that made up Vader doesn't exist anymore, but that doesn't rule out Vader "returning" in other forms.

Force Ghost Vader of course would make no sense, but a hallucination influenced by instability/darkside within Kylo Ren could emerge (which he sees while awake or within a dream). Or we see a holo recording of Vader that Kylo is watching.

We already know force users can see dead people that arn't chalked up to real ghosts. Such as "Darth Bane" encountering Yoda in TCW.

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    In TLJ novelization just before Luke dies he hears a voice saying let go Luke, whilst I interpret it to be Obi-Wan I think it would've been awesome had it appeared in the film and was spoken by Hayden...

8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    In the novel it’s all right to have a moment like that, but in the film I think it would have undermined the scene somewhat. It’s a very powerful scene, but having someone else appear, especially such a big character, would take it away from Luke, IMO. It was his moment, and his alone.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  9. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Not appear, just hear the words like they're in the wind, which is how I imagined it reading the novel.

10. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Blowing up the Death Star was also Luke's moment, but moments before Obi Wan told him to "Let Go, Luke".
    The first words ever spoken to him by Obi-Wan were also his the words that invited him to join him in the cosmic force. I don't think it would have diminished the scene at all; quite the opposite, especially for those who remember Ob-Wan saying those same words to Luke in the trench. After reading that I was like "awe damn....why wasn't that in the flim?"

Shaak Ti likes this.
  11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Yeah that would have been sweet and not diminished the scene at all. In fact it would have added depth to the scene by confirming that it was Luke's choice to join the force, not the result of his death because he over exerted himself using the Force projection. As it is in the film, this is unclear which was confusing for me during my first viewing, and it remains confusing.

I love Obi-Wan, and we heard him in TFA, so why not in TLJ?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  12. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. I would've loved to hear Obi-Wan say that to Luke in his last moments...

seattlemusicnerd likes this.
  13. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    At least it would've given the audience some idea that Luke wasn't completely alone when he died... I think a lot of people (Luke fans especially) would've got some comfort from that rather than what we got which was Luke still alone, isolated and desolate at his moment of death with just John Williams score giving us some sense of compassion/pity at his plight.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Django Fett likes this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I saw peace, beauty, harmony and blissful solitude at his end, not “isolated and desolate.” Aloneness need not be interpreted as exclusively negative. He was in a pretty nice place, after all.

15. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I just wish they had a Wilhelm Scream as Luke vanishes. That would have been pretty hilarious.

16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If the audience missed that Rey all but looks directly into the camera to tell us that Luke's passing wasn't supposed to be considered a sad moment.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yup. It’s funny because my complaints about the film have primarily to do with this obvious sign-posting dialogue that feels almost like breaking the fourth wall. And yet, so many TLJ critics, despite these heavy-handed clarifications, still miss or ignore the intent of these scenes. Which is why, I suspect, RJ stuck them in there. To make sure fans interpreted these scenes the way he wanted. Damned if you do, and damned if you don’t, and all that.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    wobbits likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If Hayden appears in EpIX, my jaw will make a hole in the floor.
    Then I will give him a standing ovation.

themoth likes this.
  19. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    A part of me still doesn’t think it’s going to happen. But boy, if this truly is the end of the Skywalker saga - the story that started with Episode 1, it’s a perfect opportunity to wrap it all up with Force Ghost Anakin. Luke can’t save Ben - but I think the grandfather can. Please!

20. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    If Hayden plays a satisfying role in Episode IX, I'll be walking out of the theater like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  21. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I think Anakin needs to make an appearance in episode 9 considering his legacy is at stake and I’d love to see Hayden given an opportunity to show he’s a competent actor.

wobbits and Roosterq like this.
  22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He will not show anything in a 12 seconds cameo

23. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Depends on what they chose to do. Having Anakin show up in episode 9 could potentially be quite an emotional scene & could provide Hayden a chance to show some of his acting ability range, even if it’s a short scene.

This is all hypothetical, of course. As far as we know, there are no plans for him to appear in 9.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  24. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    Probably the best duel in the saga. ^:)^

Django Fett, wobbits and Deliveranze like this.
  25. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I'd say it certainly is. I put ROTS in last night for the first time in a while and the emotion in that fight is breathtaking. Gets me every time.

Django Fett and wobbits like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.