main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader) in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BalanceOfTheForce, Feb 13, 2018.

?

Will Anakin appear in IX?

1. Yes

248 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. No

126 vote(s)
    33.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananakin_

Bananakin_ Jedi Master star 2

Dec 3, 2016
    It's baffling. The Inverse article was arguing that Anakin's ghost doesn't make sense, not necessarily of narrative reasons, but cause of the actor. [face_waiting]

@Miles Lodson The interviewer was really trying to bait JJ into bashing the Prequels. So I thought he gave a pretty fair and diplomatic response that wasn't super disrespectful to fans. Especially if you consider that this was from 2015. Not a huge fan of his work, but I do want to think he will do the right thing here. George's consultation makes me more hopeful as well. Hopefully not too late though.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Deliveranze and wobbits like this.
  2. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Yes. And because they hate the young ghost version. I knew ish like this was coming and people said he isn't the subject of derision and hate anymore..

Bananakin_ likes this.
  3. Bananakin_

Dec 3, 2016
    Yeah it's really just an excuse. I remember a couple people arguing on the TLJ boards, that Anakin wouldn't make sense cause of this and that. But a cgi Sebastian Shaw somehow nullfies all of said "problems". :rolleyes:

I understand that people have their preferences, and I'm not saying the version they grew up with isn't important. But to not potentially have Anakin show up just cause of how controversial it was at the time, is a huge bummer to me. First of all it's what George wanted, and frankly it's much easier to incorporate.

Deliveranze and wobbits like this.
  4. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I'll never understand the thought process in that article and elsewhere that a Skywalker ghost has no place in the final film of the Skywalker saga.....it's just nicely worded hate for the actor.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Gotta love how he said something that having Hayden will only create more convincing that the PT was good and then of course added, "they're not." man really pressed that the PT getting love in 2019.

Jedi Knight Fett, Shamear and wobbits like this.
  6. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Yeah. I don't think there are enough eye rolls I could use to express my sentiments on his tantrum.

Deliveranze likes this.
  7. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Like does he think its 2014/2015 still? Did he not see the countless fan want and articles about people wanting Anakin back? I get he is expressing an opinion, but its as about as insightful as an article about why Rose "ruined" SW. Just unnecessary and unconstructive.

Jedi Knight Fett and wobbits like this.
  8. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    I'm a staunch OT purist. In other words I belong in the pro Shaw camp, so I guess I'm in the minority. However, i do believe Hayden should be in EP 9 to tie everything together. Isn't JJ known for getting good performances out of his actors? I say give Mr. Hyde a second chance. Given the right circumstances he may surprise us in a positive way. Besides, he's taken enough flak. Leave the guy alone.

9. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    I am sure he's seen fans asking for Hayden in the film. He even mentions that to include him would be the worst kind of fan service - the Lucas kind. :rolleyes:

Because battle droids and Palps are not fan service? o_O

Bananakin_ and Deliveranze like this.
  10. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    I dont need JJ Abrams to redeem Hayden Christensen. Most of us I assume are here because we liked him in Episodes 2 and 3 or at least 3. But of course we need to give JJ credit for redeeming Anakin in the same way we had to give credit for ignoring him and making SW great again in 2015.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  11. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    Mr Hyde?

@Deliveranze Amen. =D=

Deliveranze likes this.
  12. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Hayden, Hayd, Hyde, Mr Hyde? Bad attempt at humor, sorry for that. My point still stands though.

13. wobbits

Apr 12, 2017
    @Alien Vanguard ah ok. I wasn't sure if it was a typo or I missed something.

14. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I would enjoy this being true and agree with much of the above. I've always believed that Anakin's look at the end of ROTJ indicated something wasn't exactly as we thought.

While I've thought it might be Vader that was pulling the fast one, perhaps you're right and it was Palpatine.

The OT and PT emphasized how strong the dark side's power is. It would be cool to see "I must obey my master" carry thru to the afterlife. But I suspect there would be a mass mutiny after changing people's understanding of ROTJ.

Still, with this ST's emphasis on reading people thru their eyes, I think Vader asking to see Luke with his own eyes could play into it.

In less than two months we'll see if they go the aafe route and return the galaxy to the state at the end of ROTJ or if they'll go bold and shake things up. Personally, I hope they go bold and shake it up!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

astinus4 and episodenone like this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Palps is the ultimate fan service LFL would dare to commit to, the last desperate throw of the dice to save a trilogy that will be lambasted worse than the Prequels and with some justice. Bringing back Palps is the final condemnation that Snoke and Kylo were just 3rd rate versions of Palps and Vader...

16. mike778

mike778 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2012
    Personally unless they pull it off in a way I'm not expecting them to be able, the decision to bring back Palps is disappointing and yes pretty desperate fan service - he died. Snoke was a 3rd rate version of Palps but I thought that Kylo was/is a genuinely interesting bad guy and they really should have run with him as the big bad killing Rey (yeah I know long shot that would happen) early on to establish himself. I like the sequels but you can see it coming ... Klyo is redeemed sacrificing himself to bring down Palps following the Star wars stereotype.

Re Christianson - not a fan of bringing him back for anything significant. Again fan service for the sake of it. Why would he show up now and not before in the sequels if he is going to talk to Kylo, doesn't really make sense. I don't hate the prequels, I'm glad they exist and they are sort of fun to watch still if you accept the cringey bits but for a lot of people they are still regarded as the 'rubbish ones' and may bring back unwanted memories.

Suppose its OK if you bring back his ghost for the ROTJ style party at the end - although will look a bit silly, the place will be full of ghosts, be like a dead jedi re-union event or something.

17. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    Perhaps, since Force Ghosting is a Light Side technique, then they cannot be seen by people steeped in the Dark Side. Would explain why Anakin never showed up to confront Kylo.

After he has his vision of Han , Kylo turns from the Dark Side and becomes Ben again. And as he stands up, he is greeted by Luke and Anakin. And his grandfather tells him that he wishes he could have come to him earlier, but he was too steeped in the Dark Side.

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Seems unnecessary.

19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    o_O

20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
  21. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I’m still not on 100% board with the return of Palpatine. What of Anakin’s sacrifice and fulfillment of his destiny. As the TLJ Visual Guide said the Sith were destroyed, but not the Dark Side. Hence, Snoke is no Sith. And Ren after he kills Snoke and finishes off the Praetorian Guard says no more Jedi or Sith. Now we got Sith Stormtroopers who I doubt are Force Sensitive, but are Sith in name only. I hope Anakin returns as a Force Ghost to help Rey.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Deliveranze likes this.
  22. Bananakin_

Dec 3, 2016
    More comments from JJ on Anakin, from 2013.

"Obviously, his fall was inevitable and you learn that from the early films,” Abrams says. “You know it’s going to happen and watching it happen is tragic. What’s fascinating to me is that I grew up in a time when my friends related to Luke and now, my kids relate to Anakin. There is an interesting social comment there — that when I grew up the hero was an optimistic young neophyte who becomes this hero and the new generation’s hero is a strong-willed, ambitious and ultimately vilified protagonist who is misled and, for reasons of ego and heartbreak, literally becomes the very villain that my generation fought against.”

23. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Actually the quote is from 2006. The article is from 2013 :p

Also wanted to share this tweet

24. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015

This was interesting. However, he perpetuates the misguided idea that JJ is a prequel hater.

25. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    I'd completely disagree with that "Anakin never thought of himself as a villain" stuff in the tweet. Prior to the end of EpIII, hell yeah. I'd venture after killing the kids, choking out Padme, and Obi-Wan torso-ifying him, it had sunk in.

His "it's too late for me" stuff to Luke would indicate he has regrets. Dude knows he's space-Himmler by the time the OT rolls around, he just sees himself as not able/too far gone to claw himself out of it.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.