main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Hayden Christensen is Misunderstood

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Knuckle Head, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    For several reasons that are far way from the topic of the thread I saw Hayden first in Life as a house and then in AOTC (I'm not sure the movies were filmed in this sequence). However when I learned that he will play Anakin in AOTC, I was 100% sure that he will handle it. And he did. I had no idea what I will see in AOTC exactly but I was sure that Hayden can show a young conflicted man with pure heart who made some mistakes that looks like there is no turning back from them. More or less is what happened in AOTC and especially ROTS. Also, I was interested in the potential love story: Hayden has the perfect look for something like Tristan and Isolde times and I think again he was the best choice for the role indeed.

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I saw Life as a House, too, and liked him. Some iffy lines aside, folks just didn't want to see a conflicted teenage Vader (just like they didn't want to see him as a kid).

wobbits and Tonyg like this.
  3. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think not enough time was given to build Anakin's relationship with Obi-Wan before it deteriorated and ultimately broke down. That can't be blamed on HC, just as it can't be blamed on him that he was given some of the worst dialogue in all the films put together.

wobbits likes this.
  4. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    As @Subtext Mining said earlier, the dialogue is typical SW dialogue and the only difference in this aspect between the PT and the OT is the archaic style of expressing that is deliberate as this era should be the past of what happened in OT.
    By the way, Hayden was perfect in the so unjustly blamed sand scene. I liked the first time I saw it. Both Hayden and Natalie handled it very well. I didn't mentioned Tristan and Isolde incidentally. Anakin and Padme are not characters from some postmodern young adult romance. They are not exactly positively excited with their feelings. They feel uncomfortable as their feelings are in conflict with all their lives and purposes and dreams. The scene should represent the uneasiness of both and also the flourishing love that besides all would come to life in the end. They did it great but the question is would the audience accept to feel their uneasiness and internal turmoil. Would the audience accept that Anakin instead of being cool like Han would be just honest i.e. awkward and insecure which is much more realistic, actually. I think this is the big problem in the love scenes, especially in AOTC, not the dialog or the acting. The prejudice that the hero should be the cool guy from the regular comics and not so insecure and inexperienced in his feelings and thoughts James Dean-y character is the impact factor here for me. I'm relieved that Lucas went against the odds, made this character and had chosen the right actor for the role.

5. Darth Too

Darth Too Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2021
    Hayden was an awesome actor, a lot of people say he was too monotone but if your mother had died and you were having dreams of your wife dying yet we're told to let go of your emotions, I'd be monotone as well. Also, Hayden did most of his stunts, his stunt double says he barely had to do anything which I think is very cool.

6. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    There is one blooper in ROTS where Anakin should go to the lift with Obi Wan on his back and the filming stopped with Lucas announcing : Wrong door. The surprising thing however is not the wrong lift door but that Hayden really had Ewan McGregor on his back in this moment.
    Regarding to the monotonous way of speaking: I also think it is deliberate. Hayden showed enough intense emotion when he has to: the garage scene and the fireplace scene in AOTC are perfect examples. As Jedi he had to be restrained at least if not internally calm, he succeeded only in the former (and not always) and this is the reason for the monotonous way of speaking, I think. The real essence of Anakin, even after 10 years of Jedi training was pure emotion, not serenity. Hayden nailed this too.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  7. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Yeah I think thats a Major factor. back in the day many said that this cant be Vader, he is to soft and to whiny. You nailed it I think!

CampOfSorgan and Tonyg like this.
  8. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh, I just love it when people complain how "soft and whiny" Hayden is, and then crap their pants and get all soft and whiny themselves when Anakin first gets to be Darth Vader when he deals with the Tusken. So now your soft and whiny Hayden is suddenly your main object of hatred and gets dissed to no end when he finally does kick some ass? Hilarious![face_rofl][face_pumpkin]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    All of the line delivery issues assigned to Hayden and also Jake Lloyd are the result of one man: James Earl Jones. While Lloyd may have failed at it (he was an 8 year old attempting to mimick the annunciation and cadence of a screen legend) and Hayden may have misfired occasionally, both were simply attempting to speak in a way that would lead to the voice of Darth Vader.

And let's be honest. If James Earl Jones spoke that way but didn't have that voice, a lot of people would consider his acting to exceed the limits on any Shatnerometer.

Want to pretend you don't believe me? Picture his dialogue delivery from Conan but spoken in Owen Wilson's voice.

10. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    [​IMG]

Perfectly said and you point out the hypocrite! Paul agrees :)

11. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    The whole thing with the badass-ery lays on the most wrong fundaments, I think. We discussed this once on the mega thread (as is called now) about Anakin's character. I do not consider someone as bad ass because he makes people afraid of him till death as Vader did in TESB. The real bad ass acts are when someone stands in front of an adversary that is stronger than him, yet he/she still stands there. Speaking of this, the duel with Dooku is the real bad ass act for Anakin in AOTC: he stood there no matter that was choked by the lighting like minutes ago and Dooku was obviously the best duelist of all.
    And again, as @Subtext Mining said something about this, not everyone who express their emotions spontaneously and directly is whinny. Hayden nailed this in Anakin too: he is like a volcano of emotions and expresses them at the moment he feels them. In a real world situation such person would be considered as sympathetic, emotional and sincere. In the world of the Jedi he would be considered as in risk, as all these boiled emotions could make him step on the path of the Dark Side in some situations. Anakin looks in a way too normal (I.e. human) in his behavior and Hayden nailed this perfectly.

wobbits, KyleKartan and Deliveranze like this.
  12. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    I think the Rogue One scene when we first meet Vader on mustafar shouldve shown haydens face in closeup, that wouldve been great setting up also now what were going to see in kenobi story .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    wobbits and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  13. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Agreed but it was a different actor for Rogue One. I'm glad they decided to use Hayden now though. I've seen YouTube videos over the last few years defending him as well. That's been nice.

wobbits likes this.
  14. BlueYogurt

BlueYogurt Jedi Master star 4

Aug 26, 2021
    Probably best they didn't show his face. Just a few years after Rogue One, Anakin will look like Sebastian Shaw. That's a pretty big change from Hayden Christensen...and it gives Lucasfilm an excuse to make another unecessary change to the original films.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  15. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    I said in another thread that I would love to see Disney add/insert Rey somewhere into the PT for a special edition, just so the PT fans understand how we felt about the films we loved EXACTLY AS THEY WERE being messed with! :mad:See how accepting they are then of changes "for the hell of it"

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    BlueYogurt likes this.
  16. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017
    Ugh Rey. Yes, that would make me want to burn every copy of the PT trilogy to the ground.

17. PadmeFan4Life

PadmeFan4Life Jedi Padawan

May 21, 2021
    False equivilance. Anakin was in the OT played by Sebastian Shaw, he was replaced by Hayden to portray a younger version of the same character. Ian was inserted in Empire as the hologram of the Emperor. Again same person. Rey in the PT would make no sense because she was never mentioned in any of the original 6 films

wobbits, Moll and Emperor Ferus like this.
  18. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Clearly I am being a bit silly... :cool: My point is that a lot of fans love the films exactly as they are - so don't mess with them!

19. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I like both the OOT and the PT- I say that the OOT already exists as it was on video, including DVD.

And I’d be down for PT special editions still, done by George and/or somebody he trusts. Just not with Rey

I’m thinking of scenes that never made it past the cutting room floor that might be cool to see.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Watcherwithin and Princess_Tina like this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    That would probably bother Abrams more than any PT fan. :p

Watcherwithin and Emperor Ferus like this.
  21. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017
    I hope not lol. Brando had problems. Many problems lol George Costanza told me lol.

christophero30 likes this.
  22. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think anyone who grew up with the PT are likely to be abit more open to change than what those who grew up with the OT are. Mostly because OT fans had several years of burning out their VHS tapes of the same films over and over. While anyone who grew up with the PT have always has some form of expanded media like Clone Wars adding new lore to the PT. So its not really strange to them.

But hey we will soon find out how fans react to the Obi Wan show. Thats bound to delve into the PT and the aftermath in a way that fans never thought we would see in live action

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  23. Skywalker Family

Mar 15, 2017
    I have already seen a few complaints about Anakin/Vader meeting up with Obi-Wan again. Yes, it will probably get worse.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It's to be expected. We will see a meet up between the 2 no one ever thought happened 15 years after ROTS.

This will probably feel more like a lost sequel. Probably more of a sequel than the Sequels did to the OT.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  25. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Hayden is at the Comic Con in Seattle today, about 90 miles from here. I thought about going but I'm tired after a long work week. I'd pay 100 dollars to meet him.

wobbits and Count Yubnub like this.