main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[HCSF] box office predictions

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by DarthRandolph, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    We better beat the weekend record for Spiderman. If there's any blockbuster that deserves that record, it's RotS.

//buys a dozen more tickets

2. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and even I was slightly let down with the first one. It was fun and everything, but the movie felt very uneventful. Maybe it was the villain, the way the story was told, I don't know. I have to admit it was hard for me to swallow that it was the number one picture of the year in terms of box office numbers.

Yet, I thought Spider-Man 2 was a HUGE improvement. So what happens? Shrek 2 takes top spot. Go figure. I love Spidey 2.

3. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
    Well im doing my part by going again today(with 2 other people)

4. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    We better beat the weekend record for Spiderman. If there's any blockbuster that deserves that record, it's RotS.

I agree, but I'm worried the weekend record will stay intact. I also am starting to think that Titanic's record will definatly stand.

!snap

5. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I never really doubted that Titanic would stand, but it is a real shame to let something like Spiderman own the top spot for anything.

6. Brew23

Brew23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2004
    ROTS does $108.5 million for the weekend.... Spidey stays on top.

7. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    The records are falling!

?Star Wars? sets 4-day record at box office

LOS ANGELES - George Lucas? final ?Star Wars? movie scored the second-best three-day weekend of all time Sunday, but the Force was not strong enough to prevent overall ticket sales in North America from posting a year-on-year-decline for the 13th consecutive weekend.

?Star Wars: Episode III ? Revenge of the Sith? sold an estimated $108.5 million worth of tickets for the Friday-to-Sunday period, taking its total to $158.5 million since it opened after midnight Thursday.

Its four-day haul sets a new record, surpassing the $134.3 million tally of 2003?s ?The Matrix Reloaded.? Its Thursday tally of $50 million also set a one-day record, beating the $44.8 million sum for ?Shrek 2? last year.

The three-day weekend record is held by ?Spider-Man,? which opened to almost $115 million in 2002. ?Revenge of the Sith? narrowly pipped ?Shrek 2,? which opened with $108 million. Rankings could change when final data are issued Monday.

The new ?Star Wars? film easily beat the opening weekends of its two most recent predecessors, all of which were released by Twentieth Century Fox, a unit of News Corp.

?Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones? nabbed $80 million during its first weekend three years ago, while 1999?s ?Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace? kick-started the 28-year-old franchise with a $64.8 million bow. They ended up with $311 million and $431 million respectively.

?Revenge of the Sith? answers the age-old question of how the evil warlord Darth Vader crossed over to the dark side. The critics were generally kind, perhaps mindful that ?Sith? marks the end of an era and was not as bad as the last two much-maligned films. But Rolling Stone magazine lamented writer/director Lucas? ?special knack ... of turning flesh-and-blood characters into cardboard cutouts.?

According to box office tracking firm Exhibitor Relations, the top 12 films earned about $156 million during the weekend, down 4.5 percent from the year-ago period. The losing streak is expected to continue into the upcoming Memorial Day weekend since last year?s holiday was a record.

?It?s going to take a lot to reverse this trend,? said Exhibitor Relations president Paul Dergarabedian. New releases next weekend include the animated comedy ?Madagascar? and the football comedy remake ?The Longest Yard.?

Elsewhere at the box office, last weekend?s champ ?Monster-in-Law,? starring Jennifer Lopez and Jane Fonda, slipped to No. 2 with $14.4 million, followed by sports comedy ?Kicking & Screaming,? starring Will Ferrell and Robert Duvall, with $10.5 million.

P.S. SOOOO glad I don't have to edit this one for spoilers...
    P.P.S. Why do these a-holes continue to focus on the negative? Notice how the only review specifically mentioned in here is not positive????

8. marajadebean

marajadebean Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Because being on the Dark Side is in their inherent nature, Storm. ;)

I think I still may be the only person the planet that hasn't seen Spider-Man 1 and 2. I still have this so what attitude...got the same feeling when I saw the Fantastic Four trailer. X-Men is the only Marvel franchise that gets me excited. I don't even get the whole Shrek deal...if it was The Incredibles that did that kind of business, I would be okay with it.

9. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Yeah, I've about had it with the comic book movies. I like the 'big' ones like Superman and Batman, and I could have liked Spiderman if not for the terrible CG. But it seems like now they're yanking every comic book character into a movie. Half of these guys have the most random powers, they don't even make sense.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Yet, I thought Spider-Man 2 was a HUGE improvement. So what happens? Shrek 2 takes top spot. Go figure. I love Spidey 2.

Stuff like that is exactly when I never set life-and-death on what a film makes. I can easily think of a dozen great films that made less than, say, $100m in the US, and some supreme pieces of bilge that stacked up $200m+.

11. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Actual totals :

Friday = $33,529,613 -33%
    Saturday = $40,693,760 21.4%
    Sunday = $34,212,468 -15.9%

Weekend actual gross = $108,435,841
    Total gross = $158,449,700

Now, since this place has been moved to the Inactive Forums, I think it'll probably be easier on us (and my workload :p) to keep the ROTS box office conversation and tracking to the 3SA thread. As soon as you've seen the film and aren't worried about spoilers any more, please feel free to come along and see how things are going :)

12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Latest box office totals from Reuters:

"Revenge of the Sith" has earned $271.2 million after 12 days, well ahead of its two most recent predecessors, 2002's "Attack of the Clones" and 1999's "The Phantom Menace," which were each around $200 million at the same time. The global total for "Sith" stood at $504.4 million after 11 days.

13. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Wow, it's doing great! It's close to AOTC's total run. Pretty impressive for so dark a film.

14. The_General_Grievous

The_General_Grievous Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2005
  15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Important weekend coming up. It'd be nice to see Ep III be the #1 movie for three weeks in a row (a rare feat nowadays).
    It should be a close race with a lot of movies contending for the top spot in the $25 M range (according to boxofficeguru.com).

16. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    The Box Office Thread over in the ROTS Forum is massive now. Tend to get about 4 pages worth a day.

If you'd like, I can drop in the daily figures in here when they turn up.

17. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Wednesday total - $4,004,937 (-9.1%)

ROTS total as of Wednesday - $278,901,370 (new 14-day record)

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thanks very much, Damon, we appreciate it.

I think it's kind of scary how much people care about the box office receipts, but that's just me.

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It's dumb but it's like rooting for your hometown team. Hard to resist, it is.

20. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Thursday total - $3,903,255 (-2.5%)
    ROTS total as of Thursday - $282,804,625 (new 15-day record)

21. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Isn't it nice when a great movie gets great reviews and great box office receipts? It's very rare that such a hattrick occurs.

22. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Friday estimate - $7,310,000
    ROTS estimated total as of Friday - $290,115,000 (new 16-day record)

Estimates, like I say...we won't have the actuals for the weekend until Monday, but I'll be putting up the Saturday and Sunday estimates here as usual until then.

If the estimate holds up...ROTS would need about $9,885,000 on Saturday to pass the $300m mark, and set a new all-time record for fastest to $300m.

The current record-holder is Shrek 2, which achieved this feat in 18 days...ROTS' Sunday.

23. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Sweet, I'm planning to add to that total and its great to know the theaters are still crowded.

24. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Saturday estimate - $10,650,000 (+46.9%)
    Sunday estimate - $8,100,000 (-23.9%)

ROTS estimated total as of Sunday - $308,805,000 (new 15 and 16-day records, new Fastest to $300m record).

Now, these are just estimates...and in the case of Sunday, a projection based on Friday and Saturday's estimates. So there could be a little leeway here...last weekend for example, ROTS was overestimated by about $750,000...not much, but in this case that would be enough for ROTS not to get the Fastest to $300m record, just tie it on the Sunday at 18 days with Shrek 2.

So, hold the party poppers and champagne until the actual figures come in on Monday...we must be patient ;)

25. DamonD

Nov 22, 2002
    Okay, hit the celebrations because by the skin of its teeth (as in $300,000) ROTS did it.

Weekend actuals $25,088,336 -54.6%
    Total US gross - $307,892,961 (new 16, 17, and 18-day record, new Fastest to $300m record)

Rough reports suggest ROTS also has about another $310m made Internationally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.