main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "He is Married Still" - Luke, Ben, Post-NJO AU vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Aragorn, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Jedi Trace: Three tries? :eek: I?m honoured it was worth all that effort. ;) Thanks for reading. :D

RedGold: *more tissues* I?m running short here? :p Thanks so much for reading. :)

oldj: I had the same thoughts while reading Rebirth, which is more of less where this came from. I?m glad it didn?t turn out this way in canon though. ;) Thanks for your feedback. [:D]

cheersweetie27: Thank you! :D

Kaylle: That?s what I was aiming for in the relationship between Luke and Ben. :) Thank you for reading.

StarFighter5: Yup, it makes sense. ;) I was aiming for that impression ? to kind of see the impact Mara has on his life even in her absence? [face_thinking] Her shadow is still there, in an odd kind of way. Thanks for the feedback. :D

Golden_Jedi: Thank you. :)

JadeLotus: It would be a difficult situation for a child to be in, even though Luke does all he can to make it easier for Ben. And melancholy does describe it well ? he can?t really be grieving for something he never really knew or experienced, just sort of reflecting on its absence. If that makes sense. ;) The Leia and Han aspect seemed to evolve on its own, but I think they would be concerned ? especially being privy to whatever it was in Luke?s initial reaction that Ben doesn?t really know about. Maybe a little too concerned, from Ben and Luke?s POV?

And you don?t know Les Murray? *shakes head* :p I hadn?t heard of him until we studied him in my uni course last year, but I just love his work. It has a very natural feel to it. :D

Thanks for reading! [:D]

Azeria_Jade: *hands out yet more tissues* :p Thank you!

MaraJade1225: Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That was an absolutely moving story. That is so, so sad. I was near tears as I read this viggie.

Beautiful work!! Bravo.

AG88

3. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    And you don?t know Les Murray? *shakes head*

'Fraid not. The furthest i've gotten into Australian "bush" poetry is the requisite Banjo Patterson :p I studied more in the Bruce Dawe, Jack Davis area at school.

I really like the phrase "Is is married, still", though. And so fitting for the fic title, I might add :)

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This is wonderful, but really sad. :( Great writing (as usual K_A)!

5. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    K_A, you and your Viggies. . . .

one of these days you're going to make me start bawling while reading one of them. . .

you came very close with this one ;)

6. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    AG88: Thanks for reading! :D

JadeLotus: Good old Banjo and Henry? :p What?s odd is that we barely touched on Dawe and Davis and the like ? I did mostly the bush poetry stuff from the 1890s, with some Les Murray from later on. But hardly anything about the more contemporary poets. [face_thinking]

And thanks. I thought it made a good title as well. ;)

rhonderoo: Thank you. :)

maramijade: Aw? well, thank you for reading. :D

7. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Sorry I'm so far behind on catching up here.

This was so beautifully written -- your writing just amazes me. You captured perfectly how Luke and Ben's life would be if Mara had died (but I'm glad she didn't!). Wonderful, wonderful job.

8. aelie

aelie Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2003
    :_| :_| :_| :_| WAAAH!! So sad!! Yet so good!!! It's almost frightening how well you caught post-Mara Luke! And Ben was lubly... [face_love]

=D=Excellent work!

9. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    *sigh* Excellent as ususal, KA. :)

10. Yodan

Yodan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2005
    Wow! That was awesome!

This was a great vignette, and as always, you are so eloquent! Whenever I read any of your works it seems as if I am breathless. I become so lost in the vivid worlds you craft that I don't realize I'm not a part of them.

I can?t wait for your next project!

11. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    :oops: I absolutely swear I thought I'd already replied to this. As many times as I've read it, you'd think I'd notice the lack of a post on my part. [face_blush]

Truly exquisite story, K_A. I've honestly lost track of how many times I've read it, and I love it just as much each time. As sad as it is to think of Mara dying and Luke's pain, it's still uplifting - kind of like how everyone dies in Les Miserables and you sit there sniffling through the whole play but somehow manage to leave feeling more inspired than depressed. The best explanation I've ever come up with for Les Miz is that despite all the loss, it still conveys clearly that life will still go on, and be worth the continuation, that love and happiness and hope haven't died with the characters, and you do the same here. [face_love] I really like Ben's "voice", and Luke is perfectly in character. I obviously prefer to think of Mara as being a living part of the family, but I can really see this happening, too.

My father?s love for her is more eternal than the sky that stretches above, burns deeper and longer than the brightest star. And she lives in that love.

My very favorite line. [face_love] :_| [face_love] Beautiful job as always. [:D]

12. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Jedi-2B: I'm very glad Mara didn't die as well. Rebirth had me quite worried at some points, as I recall. ;) Thank you for reading.

aelie: Thank you! :)

Valin: *blushes* Thank you!

Yodan: Wow, thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for the feedback. :D

Gabri: I'm not really familiar with Les Miserables, but that does sound very much like what I was aiming for with this story. I've read a few stories where Mara dies and Luke falls apart, and I always wondered, well - what about Ben? This is kind of my answer, I guess. [:D] Thanks so much for reading.

13. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005

I?ve always known she died giving birth to me. But my father never puts it that way, never lays the words out in a way that could hurt me. He?s careful like that. He tells me it was a gift, that she freely gave to me. The most precious gift. It was her love that kept me alive while she faded. She died saving me; because, he says, you?re worth saving, Ben.

I asked him, once, why he chose that flower to go beneath her name. He smiled, sadly, and said, She is my rose.

My cousin Jacen told me once that my mother?s death changed my father. He loved your Mom so much, Jacen said, that a huge part of him died with her.

This was so touching! I don't know why it's always sadder when the wife dies; something about the husband left behind always seems so forlorn and desperate. I loved the whole thing--poor Luke and Ben.

14. Aiel

Aiel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    That was so beautiful. Well done! =D=

15. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Amazing. That was brilliant. Every word, every sentence, brilliant.

16. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    That was beautiful.

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was exquisite. I loved the combination of soul-deep sadness that Luke would feel when Mara had died and the love he had for his son. Never blaming the boy for losing the love of his life, always cherishing him and sharing the memories.

Bravo.=D= But I think I need some fluff now...

18. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    :_| :_| :_|

Wow...that was sooo powerful! I really loved it....

19. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Anakins_Force: Thank you very much - glad you enjoyed it. :)

Aiel: Thank you! :D

Jek_Windu: [face_blush] Oh my... :p Thank you for reading!

BigFatty: Thanks. :)

dianethx: I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for taking the time to read. :D

C3SoloP0: [face_blush] Thank you!

20. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm...Im speechless...that was fantastic! It was so beautiful! :_|
    =D= =D= =D=

21. Fettkat

Fettkat Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2005
    Oh wow! Man, that was awesome. :_|
    Tugs on the heart, really does.
    When will I be able to write like U??!!!![face_praying]
    Great job.

22. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006
    Wow, I am moved beyound words right now. Give me a few minutes to recover.:_|

That was such a good story, but it was so sad. :_|

You captured Luke perfectly. I can so see him like that after Mara's death. And if it weren't for Ben, well I see Luke being worse off.

Wow, that was beautiful.

Good job

jacky

23. -Erela-

-Erela- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    Wow. How incredibly moving. This is one of the best Luke/Ben vigs. I've read. It's a good think Mara didn't die, huh? :) I'm quite impressed.

24. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Oh, my goodness. That was so beautifully touching and heartbreaking at the same time. I loved the way you managed to capture the feel of it--you didn't say much straight out, but the tone of it was just perfect. I loved Leia and Han, because I could see them reacting in exactly that way.

In the end, it just makes me very glad that this didn't happen, and yet glad at the same time to have an image of Luke and Ben like this, if Mara had died, if that makes sense.

Incredible job. @};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.