main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT *He Was A Good Friend* (pre-RotS vignette; Obi and Ani) posted 5/30

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediMaster_Jen, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Title:He Was A Good Friend
    Summary: Obi-Wan and Anakin do some bonding.

Disclaimer: George Lucas created Star Wars. Star Wars, LucasFilm Ltd. and all its content are currently owned and operated by the Walt Disney Company.

Story begins just hours before the beginning of RotS

Word spread throughout the base like wildfire. It usually did when the news involved the two most famous Jedi alive. From clone troopers to Jedi Masters, Knights and Padawans; everyone had heard, and they all had ventured towards the training room to catch a glimpse. One glimpse of the two heroes was all they wanted.

Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker were about to engage in a practice duel.

“They’re here again, Obi-Wan,” Anakin griped, his voice having deepened much in the last three years since he left behind the awkwardness of being a teenager.

The elder man just smiled as he removed his robe and tunics, revealing a well-sculpted upper body. “Ignore them. You used to be good at that,” he teased his former apprentice.

Anakin chuckled as he caught sight of a few teenage females. They three girls had their eyes glued to Obi-Wan’s bare chest. “I believe you have a few admirers, Master.”

Obi-Wan turned his blue-gray gaze towards their audience and smiled. He could sense the embarrassment of the younglings at having been caught watching him.

“Stop flirting, Obi-Wan, you’re going to give them ideas,” Anakin playfully chastised his older companion as he began removing his own tunics.

“I’m not flirting, Anakin. I’m just being friendly,” he explained.

Anakin’s laughter carried across the empty room. “Sure you are. You know, for someone that sticks whole-heartedly to the Jedi Code, you sure seem to have a way with the ladies, Master.”

“The Code doesn’t forbid being charming, Anakin,” Obi-Wan said. “I can’t help it if I’m irresistibly handsome.”

Anakin doubled over in laughter at that comment. His sides ached and his eyes watered as he tried to calm himself.

“Personally, I think they feel sorry for you. They can see that I’m the better-looking of the two of us,” Anakin finally managed. “I mean, I’m more than fifteen years your junior; I’m taller and faster and I’m much more powerful a….”

He never got to finish his statement. As usually happened during their friendly banter, Anakin would gush about his own skills and would be totally unprepared for the sneak attack that landed him on his back, facing the business end of Obi-Wan’s glowing blue lightsaber.

“You’re my brother, Anakin, and my best friend,” Obi-Wan told the younger man as he lay on the floor, his face inches from the white-hot saber. “You’re definitely taller and younger, and sometimes faster than I, but you will absolutely never be better looking than I am, my very young former apprentice.”

It took less than a few seconds before both men were laughing. Obi-Wan reached a hand down and helped Anakin up from the floor. Once on his feet, Anakin sent a mock glare at Obi-Wan.

“I’ll never understand how you catch me off guard all the time,” Anakin grumbled good-naturedly. “Someday, when you least expect it, I’m gonna beat you. You’re gonna be the one with my saber at your neck.”

Obi-Wan smiled. “Not for a long time, Anakin. Not for a very long time indeed.”

Anakin mirrored the smile. “What do you say we skip the practice today and go have a drink?”

Obi-Wan tossed Anakin his clothing as he began dressing himself. “Good idea. We can practice tomorrow.”

The two men walked happily out into the bright sunlight, the heat of the day bathing them in red and gold. After a few moments of staring up into the brilliant blue sky and watching the shifting clouds, Obi-Wan turned his gaze upon his former student.

“I’m very proud of you, Anakin,” he said quietly. “You’re a good man and a good friend.”

Anakin met his stare. “Thank you, Master. So are you, far beyond anyone else I have ever known. This war has torn so many things apart. I’m glad it hasn’t done that to you and me.”

They shared a gentle smile before heading off together to find their drinks.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  2. Salmeera

Salmeera Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Good job, I liked it. It was definetely entertaining, and had a nice, light-hearted mood to it.

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

That was a really lovely look into the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan...so much more tragic when we knew how it turned to bitter ashes. Great, great job!

4. MasterSareBabe

MasterSareBabe Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Heehee! Are Jedi allowed to drink? ;) Nice writing!

5. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    Salmeera Good job, I liked it. It was definetely entertaining, and had a nice, light-hearted mood to it.

Thanks a bunch. :)

LadyPadme That was a really lovely look into the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan...

Thank you. I'd always wanted to see the close friendship between them that Obi-Wan alluded to in the OT.

so much more tragic when we knew how it turned to bitter ashes. Great, great job!

Very much so. It would have been easier if they had always been enemies. Thanks for reading.

MasterSareBabe Heehee! Are Jedi allowed to drink?

[face_laugh] Well, if they aren't, then Obi-Wan was breaking the Code when he went for a drink in AotC.

Nice writing!

Thank you. :)

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I read this viggie in the chaalenge thread but love the chance to read it again. One of the best things the movie has produced are fic like this. We just don't get to see Obi-Wan and Anakin so close and caring in the movie.. at lest not enough for me. Thanks for a great fic.

7. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I really love the way you portray the characters. Very touching. I wish they could have been more like this in the movie. :)

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! Beautifully done! :D

9. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    ?The Code doesn?t forbid being charming, Anakin,? Obi-Wan said. ?I can?t help it if I?m irresistibly handsome.?

LOL! I loved that.

Nice to see light-hearted happy moments between them, but I also loved the foreshadowing near the end.

Beautiful!

10. DarthPolymerase

DarthPolymerase Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Great job! I loved the part where Obi-Wan talks about no harm in charming the ladies--hilarious! There were moments in your dialogue I could almost hear the voices of the Obi-Wan and Anakin speak--amazing job with characterization! Keep up the good work!

11. JediMaster_Jen

Jun 3, 2002
    HealerLeona One of the best things the movie has produced are fic like this. We just don't get to see Obi-Wan and Anakin so close and caring in the movie.. at lest not enough for me. Thanks for a great fic.

Thank you. I agree with you, I don't think the movie showed their closeness enough. Since Obi-Wan made a point of telling Luke what good friends he and Anakin were, I was really hoping to see it in RotS, at least much more than we did, as you said.

Thanks for reading it again. :)

VadersMistress I really love the way you portray the characters. Very touching. I wish they could have been more like this in the movie.

Thank you very much. :) I wish the film had shown their friendhsip more as well.

VaderLVR Loved it! Beautifully done!

Thanks so much. :D

Gina ?The Code doesn?t forbid being charming, Anakin,? Obi-Wan said. ?I can?t help it if I?m irresistibly handsome.?

LOL! I loved that.

Thanks. :) I could just picture Ewan saying that line. I had to write it down.

Nice to see light-hearted happy moments between them, but I also loved the foreshadowing near the end.

Beautiful!

Thank you very much.

DarthPolymerase Great job! I loved the part where Obi-Wan talks about no harm in charming the ladies--hilarious!

Thanks. :D Couldn't you just picture him saying that?

There were moments in your dialogue I could almost hear the voices of the Obi-Wan and Anakin speak--amazing job with characterization! Keep up the good work!

When I was writing this, I kept hearing Ewan and Hayden in my head, their voices saying these lines. It was quite comical. My family thought I was nuts when they'd hear me laughing at the voices in my head. [face_laugh]

Thanks so much for reading. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.