main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph He Who Talks To The Fishes: James Wan's Aquaman

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 5, 2018.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I suspect I’ll have to do the early IMAX 3D (bleh) showing on opening day if I expect to catch this in the theater. The other screenings are too late for everyone. I am hoping the times change after the opening week.

I’ll repeat myself, this looks like great fun.

heels1785 likes this.
  2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Exclusive first look at the promotional Japanese poster
    [​IMG]

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    $93.6 million in the end, biggest film in the world, all from a single market. ANd of course, there are already dodgy downloads available.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Reviews are starting to come out and I've yet to see a bad one on media sites so far...

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Look again. A few critics will be getting bullets in the post from Young Master Heelsy, I think.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Generally from what I'm seeing, the geek/media sites are fairly uniformly positive and the trades/newspapers are mediocre-to-negative?

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

i'll take that red tomato, tho. and the heat being given to roger moore as the 1 negative review for the new gumby spiderman movie is sobering, don't beat people up over their movie opinions. dc fans had a particularly nasty response to poor dark knight rises reviews, i recall.

also my bad on the date in the thread title, homies. blame heelsy.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You looked a lot more closely than I did. Your split seems about right, with the highlight being Mamoa, and the lowlight being everything else. Not good for me, as I don't particularly care for him [face_plain]

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/aquaman/critic-reviews

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, funny story -- until this dude's dad made that whole long tweet-storm about Trump/Russia -- I had no idea that this dude and his sister are scions of a wealthy, journalism dude who was the CEO of Foreign Policy, partner with Ina Garten's husband, and a former Clinton-administration employee... must be hard for these two to get jobs in the biz... :p

10. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    I want this movie to do well. Not because I care about Aquaman, mind you, but because I don't want any nervous studio-heads sabotaging the two DC projects I want to see: Joker and Matt Reeve's Batman.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Just got back from the advanced screening...

It's good but not great. Jason Mamoa is really good but the underwater action scenes are just boring. However, Atlantis is stunning and the movie really shows it off. The non-action underwater sequences are an absolute delight. And it's funny!

6.5/10

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    This got trashed in all the papers I read today and on a film review show on BBC London radio.

13. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Mark Kermode? Yeah he had a couple of nice things to say about it but on balance he wasn't too kind to it. But he readily admits that comic book movies aren't really in his entertainment wheelhouse.

I was watching Perri Nemiroff review it on Collider Live this past week and she was visibly uncomfortable and disappointed while giving her opinion on it. She frequently has good things to say about comic book movies in general and is a huge James Wan fan (she's a horror nut and really wanted to see him transition into the big budget franchise arena with flying colors) but she really hammered Aquaman giving it a 4/10. When a predisposed critic such as herself doesn't have good things to say, it's not a good sign.

It could end up being a Venom situation; a movie that doesn't land at all with critics but is such a good time for audiences it just doesn't matter too much.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Nah - I think this was BBC Radio London's own critic. The segment was on around 11AM.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Saw it last night and enjoyed it. It is really carried though by Jason Momoa having a lot of fun and James Wan's direction. If this were Snyder, it would have been too serious and the movie would have flopped. Making Aquaman fun is pretty much what made it work. They embraced some of the things that he is normally mocked for (talking to fish) and used it effectively. They even found a way to make the orange and green armor work. The cast was strong but there were a few cliches. My friend thought Black Manta's costume was ridiculous-particularly the helmet. And while the story went to some lengths to explain why the big helmet, it was still the hardest thing to get past for him. I'm not sure if I'd put it up there with Wonder Woman, but definitely in the top 2. I'd see it again and recommend others see it. For DC, it definitely is one of their better films. But I can also understand some of the criticism, however I really doubt one could do any better for a movie that takes place under the sea. I will be curious to see how Disney handles it when they tackle the live action Little Mermaid.

17. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    You may get an even better comparison than that.

The same guy who claimed to be working on New Mutants and spilled a lot of the problems that movie was having early on now claims he's working on The Eternals and that Namor will be getting introduced in it. Personally I'm not putting a lot of stock in it at this point. He also claimed NM wasn't getting released, which was later contradicted by Bob Iger himself. He recently repeated that claim so if that ends up being the case I might give the Namor stuff a little more weight. I hope he's FOS because he's saying some former wrestler with next to no acting experience was cast to play Namor.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Hacksaw Swim Duggan?

19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Stone Cod Steve Austin?

20. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Jesse Ventuna?

21. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Oh god this movie was so pretty and fun

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    When Karathen appeared, I kept expecting her to burst into songs from The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. I look forward to someone editing that video once the home release hits.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw the movie last night.

The water run shallow in Aquaman.

The first five minutes of the film reminded me of the movie Splash. The rest of the film reminded me of an 80's action flick, with the movie being light on the script, acting, dialog, characters and complexity. And there's not alot of smooth transitions between the films locations and scenes, so there there are often tonal shifts as well setting changes that are abrupt and really don't fit well together making feel the movie disjointed; especially in the second act as the film jumps all over the map with the various characters.

As a fanboy, all I could see is that Jason Mamoa would have been better cast as Lobo; especially the scene in the bar.

Aquaman would be a great film, if it came out about 10 years ago. By today's standards, it a little under mediocre and especially in comparisons to the films that came out this year with Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, and season three of Daredevil. There just isn't any depth or nuance with the characters in Aquaman. They're all pretty much too dimensional and predictable in their roles, motivations, dialogues and characterizations. There really isn't much character growth or twists in the film. I mean, there's not really a "non man's land scene" where the character goes against the grain and announces that I'm hero and I'll do what is right and just when everyone else says it can't be done. Aquaman's action pieces don't have much meaning other than for entertainment value.

I feel Aquaman was an attempt something similar to Thor: Ragnarok where the audience it taken to another world in a humorous and over-the-top manner, but the film doesn't quite stay afloat.

Aquaman, isn't a bad film; it's an action packed with beautiful art designs that certainly make the characters look badass. A lot of fans will appreciate this film for that.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    ^ the review I was waiting for - sorry it wasn't a wholly great experience, ssp, but always appreciate your fair and detailed writeups.

Speaking of Lobo, I'm excited to see what they do with him on Krypton - that's got to be coming up soon.

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It's the best-reviewed DC superverse movie in a number of years. This December is critical crazy town:

Peter Jackson's mid-December release: a catastrophe
    Bumblebee: glowing reviews
    Aquaman: mixed to decent reviews

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.