main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph He Who Talks To The Fishes: James Wan's Aquaman

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Oct 5, 2018.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Saw the movie yesterday.

I thought that the movie was a good action packed movie.

I liked:

The “Ow” scene which got a laugh at the theater.

The toilet bowl scene which got another laugh.

Nicole Kidman kicking butt at the beginning of the movie.

Temura walking the pier everyday waiting for Nicole to come back after she leaves.

Aquman getting the Trident and becoming King Arthur.

The various battle scenes especially the ending one.

I did not like:

Black Mantis storyline which was pretty dumb.

Orm who as Aquaman’s half-brother being so misguided.

It was a pretty fun movie though and one that I will see again.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So, wow, saw this last night and it's going to take me some time to really process it to properly review it. It's a fun and good and, yet, really bad at the same time. It's so hard to really describe.

On one hand, the visuals are ASTOUNDING. Flash Gordon filtered through The Abyss & Tron Legacy. This movie demands you see it in 3D on the biggest screen possible (seriously the best 3D experience since Avatar- this one shot towards the end where sea creatures form a tunnel behind Jason as he surfs towards the camera is truly a "wow!" moment). The action is fun and the characters are always doing cool things.

On the other hand, there are no characters in this movie. Except for maybe Black Manta (but he's also the cheesiest/most throwback of them all, as well as the least important to the plot). And I don't mean that they're poorly acted or indistinct from one another- the archetypes are utterly clear. Yet, really, we don't know who anyone really is. We've had two movies with Arthur Curry in it and I still don't know who he is other than occasionally sparks of Jason Momoa getting excited (which is weird because Jason has been much more versatile in most of his other roles; this may be the most stripped-down "basically just Jason" he's ever been). Meera is a red head doing really cool stuff while mostly being a basic romantic interest but, again, we get no real idea of who she is as a character.

It's like they're....I dunno, not just going through the motions, but things are just happening with them? I have no way of characterizing the utter detachment between the characters and the audience- I've never encountered anything like it in any other movie I've ever seen. And it's going to take me time to try and figure out how to review and describe that.

I mean, even if that distance shouldn't work it still does. Maybe because the mythical nature of the quest and the nature of the Atlanteans and their history lean heavily into the "DC heroes aren't really people but are more like gods among us" angle that tends to be DC's distinguishing strength.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    GIGANTIC missed opportunity: They could have used the stinger to tie the movie more closely with the greater DC Cinematic Universe. Involve Wonder Woman, Shazam, or the easiest fix of all: either have Black Manta get rescued by Jesse Eisenluthor, or have Fresh Off the Boat Guy be in Eisenluthor's employ.

Don't getta me wrongo, I enjoyed the movie. But I interpret this as a sign that WB does not have a cohesive vision of what they wanna do with their DC properties.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good numbers for the weekend. Top in NA, with very strong competition, up to $482 million worldwide.

Strong lead-in for Shazam in the spring.

5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I loved it because it did not apologize even once for what it was. If DC always showed this level of pride in their characters and their stories, they would be so much better off. I love the visuals, I loved the color. I'd love to see Superman handled with this level of love and respect.

This movie made me incredibly happy.

pronker, Gamiel, BigAl6ft6 and 5 others like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You are out of your mind... Black Manta listens to Depeche Mode. It is now canon that Black Manta listens to Depeche Mode. This, alone, is what makes this an Oscar contender.

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Like I said in the DC Cinematic thread I am seeing this with my entire family after Christmas hopefully with the help of Regal Gift Cards because I am broke as a joke right now. From the trailers It looks fantastic I am sure I will love it! But My favorite DC Cinematic movies so far have been Wonder Woman and Man Of Steel gonna take a lot to top Wonder Woman.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  8. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Probably because the ending sets up Aquaman 2. Which I think will come before any new Justice League films

9. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I like her. But she reminds of when I saw Full Metal Jacket and my expectations were so high. I also could get a seat only in the last row and found myself being overly analytical. And I hated 2001 (watched it on TV as a 10-year-old) and Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai the first time I watched them. Loved them by the 3rd time.

TPM took a while to grow for me, but hype I hadn’t seen since ST:TMP. The former I like a lot better, the latter only a little.

I’m so glad I didn’t see the theatrical release of BvS, especially with all the bad reviews and word of mouth. Saw the Snyder Cut this summer and loved it.

The Collider spoiler review had mixed reactions, but all 3 definitely want to see it again and also a sequel.

Scott Mendelssohn and Mark Hughes of Forbes loved it.

I wonder what Jon Schnepp would have thought of it. Think I’ll check out Kevin Smith and John Campea.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I absolutely loved Aquaman the Visuals were stunning and It was epic! At no time did I feel bored It was a thrill, It was captivating from start to finish! I will talk about it more in length later I have to relax and rewind after being at the theater!

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    One thing I liked was the underwater scenes I think future films will copy that IMHO it was a game changer in Visual effects. Me and my dad are definitely seeing it again and when we do were taking my nephew he loves Super Hero movies. these types of movies are definitely the type of films you should see a second time to catch all the different things on screen kind of like Star Wars movies. I thought Aquaman was right up there with Wonder Woman my three newer DC Comics favorite movies are,

1.Wonder Woman

2.Aquaman

3.Man Of Steel

all good but very different films oh and I forgot to mention I really liked Suicide Squad!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  12. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Well it's pretty much a given that this will be the DCU's (since the Nolan films don't technically count) first $1B money maker. Rewind 5 years and who would have thought that Aquaman would be the one to do that, especially with BvS and JL coming out before it.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  13. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I really liked The Nolan Dark Night Trilogy The Dark Night could have won the Oscar for best picture that Year Heath Ledger was doing some mighty fine acting there!

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like this movie a lot as it's totally uber-wacky and embracing the comic book zainess which is a change from Synder's real world-ism, although the wheel started to turn on Justice League, Wonder Woman is fun but pretty serious at times, this is basically Aquaman starts off kicking ass and continues to become a better ass kicker by the end, which I'm actually totally okay with. Little bit of Thor's learning humility but Aquaman isn't stripped of his powers or his hammer, he basically goes on a European vacation. I do think the best stuff in the movie is when he shows up in the classic outfit that the movie frames as his golden quest which is a great way to get people into orange shirts again. And Ocean Master's mask emotes! I do quite like Black Manta although he feels shoehorned in a wee bit as he just disappears for about the last hour. And it's pretty fun that the one time Aquaman has a moment of self-doubt and actual introspection, it's entirely by himself in the clutches of a underwater monster horror nightmare, voiced by Julie Andrews!

One thing I did notice in the underwater scenes there's a underwater blur filter which would be natural but on the closeups once in awhile if you look at the character's eyes (esp on a big AVX screen) it sorta distorts kinda in a awkward way. But very minor nitpick for a movie that looks so great.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  15. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    This take on. Aquaman's archetype:

pronker likes this.
  16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I've just gotten home from the theater and was wowed by the movie. The actors, except Dafoe and Lundgren, are new to me, so they had the appeal of not comparing them to other roles. Flash Gordon was the first thing to mind after seeing the Fishermen, Trench, familiar two-legged Atlanteans, and so forth - all it needed was the Hawkmen.

I just loved it and didn't expect it to be a Power Couple movie at all, but then I stopped reading comics about four years back so maybe the latest comics do more with Mera? Anyway, Momoa, in addition to being smoking hot, did okay as Aquaman. He rushed his lines a little once or twice, yet held up in the dramatic and romantic moments. The effects couldn't have been better, either, seamlessly sliding from land to water. Atlantis was perfectly composed. Since Aquaman became my first superhero love in the Silver Age, not Superman or Batman or any other 'man,' this was a happy 2 hours and 23 minutes. Recognizing Temuera Morrison was the icing on the cake. The aquarium scene with young Arthur hailed back to a favorite panel from a long ago comic, with Art's hand the focus of multiple fish species' attention. Aquaman's ending costume couldn't have been better.

Speaking of ending, upon reading credits to Nick Cardy and Mort Weisinger, my little ol' fan's heart beat faster.[face_flag]

Jedi Merkurian and Gamiel like this.
  17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Mera's been spotlighted a lot in comics for a while now, going to back to 2009.

In fact, writer Geoff John's said that pushing Mera to the forefront was one of his goals in the company event of Blackest Night.

(Unfortunately, Tempest, the first Aqualad, got downgraded in importance as a result).

Mera's even a member of the Justice League now.

A lot of people thought that Mera would be the seventh member of the Justice League film in 2017. (Green Lantern wasn't in it)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    pronker likes this.
  18. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [​IMG]
    This is the scene - it might be Ramona Fradon's art, but I don't know. DC did more than one version of the origin story because they could.:rolleyes:

That's very interesting - thanks for clarifying! I got a real kick out of her shaping hard water attacks and using her powers to resuscitate Morrison showed that the writers gave her interesting things to do. Yay girl power!:ahsoka:

cerealbox likes this.
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    For a billion dollar film, this thread surprisingly only has four pages.

Gamiel likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It's not a very "deep" movie, despite being at the depths of the Ocean. I saw a comparison to a Fast and Furious franchise and I think that's apt. Aquaman was basically the Fast and Furious of superhero movies. Which isn't a bad thing! It's just not hugely inspiring. Is good and fun, yay!

21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It was spectacular. Meaning, it was all spectacle, no substance.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do quite like that the one moment of genuine character introspection that Arthur has is completely by himself at the bottom of the oceans trapped in the clutches of the Julie Andrews voiced deep sea monster. It actually totally fits the character as he's been presented. Everything else he's just all "yahoooo!!"

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    pronker and Sarge like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I know I'm a little late but I just watched this.

Hey DC- more movies like this pls. It's got all the fun of an MCU movie and all the dumb of comic books. GOOD, not all superhero movies need lofty ambitions. But really, if any JL member should hearken to their silly comic roots it's ****in' Aquaman. And it's COLORFUL. I ain't even mad how much of it is simply blue/orange, at least the imagery pops. And yeah Momoa was super fun when he wasn't trying to act (I mean this endearingly, he's like a modern Arnie), but kudos to Patrick Wilson for going all in on his hammy villain.

Iron_lord, dp4m and pronker like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So Heard/Depp trial big ole mess, Heard Mera part cut blah blah blah but more importantly, DC head (who was deposed at the trail) says that Aquaman 2 is a "buddy comedy" between Aquaman and Ocean Master. Which sounds kinda great, Patrick Wilson being irritated could be gold.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    pronker likes this.
  25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Just stick a red wig on Willem Dafoe. Problem solved. :p

Sarge, pronker and BigAl6ft6 like this.