main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Heading to your part of the world

Discussion in 'German Speaking FanForce' started by Miana Kenobi, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hi guys! My name's Rachel and I'm one of the RSAs for Pacific USA Fan Force.

I just got accepted to study abroad in Prague this fall, so I'll be heading this way in early September. Before I even get to Prague, we're spending two days in Munich to see the sights. At the same time, one of my best friends is currently studying in Berlin for 9 months, so I will frequently be traveling back and forth between Deutschland and ÄŒesko to visit her.

Sometime during the fall, I'm hoping to make a trip to Koln for Flo's famous tour. :D

I'm sorry to say my German is really bad, though I think my Czech will probably be worse. :p

Looking forward to meeting some of you in the fall!

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    oh yeah, you'll get my congratulations here instead of MS :p w00t for you

and hopefully w00t for us once or twice :D I still hope there is the tiniest chance we can coordinate something with Pulsie, if she's even still going.

And now that I've finally gotten it into my head when you'll be here... for how long?

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'll be in Prague September 6-December 20.

And dude, seriously! I know she wants to come visit while I'm in Prague, but it would be doubly-awesome if we could coordinate it while we're in Deutschland.

4. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    Well, actually, I've never been to Prague before... but then again, my very short visit to München 9 years ago doesn't count either.
    Whatever, I'm not going anywhere else in September.

And if and when you get to Köln... make it a Köln/Düsseldorf weekend or something [face_batting] Ask Timo or Johanna, my tour doesn't suck anymore :p

5. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Lovely Prague.
    Make sure to drop in at the Reon Museum. It's a wonderful place.[face_love] (They also have free drinks...non-alcoholic)

With a bit of planning, I am sure we could also try to get the GSFF together (again,:rolleyes: I know, I know...)

6. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    should Global Warming deign itself to return this year, it might count as some sort of Summer Meeting, seeing how nothing of the sort will happen for the Clone Wars release [face_whistling]

7. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    *opens calender*
    :-B

Well, there is actually, some kind of as-yet undetermined summer-meeting thought of that was to include a midnight picnic under the stars.

And for the start of Clone Wars *leaves through pages*
    we're trying to get a meeting up for the weekend after the release and go to cinema all together.

*snaps calender shut*
    :-B

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    [face_laugh] yeah, right

9. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    :confused:
    No, really. Just wait until the threads get opened.

10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Mel, you're great! [:D]

And Miana, it would be pretty cool to get to know you in RL as well! I really hope it will be possible somehow! :D

So many meetings this year... that's just fantastic! [face_dancing]

11. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    Great news, Rachel! :) [:D]

I am looking forward to present you the Cologne Tour! :D

12. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    I have been in prague before. on a classtrip. the publich transport is really cheap.

13. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    The beer is cheap, too, at least it was in 2000... ;)

14. Devi

Devi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 22, 2002
    Miiiiiiii! Please don't forget to tell me if and when you go to Cologne - I'm sure I can make it there to meet you. [:D]

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    DEVI!! Yes of course!! :D

(And we can make comments about the Claws that weren't invited to Yubs' wedding. :p )

16. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Well, it's not usually my way to interfere, but I read, that you're going to Munich, I felt obligated- since I am practically the only one from that area in the JCF- to tell you about some sights.
    You should definitely go to the "Marienplatz" and in the pedestrian precint behind it. There is the church "Frauenkirche" and also a lot of shops.
    Or if it is nice weather you can also go to the park "Englischer Garten".
    And you should try a pretzel. Since they're from Bavaria, they're best here^^
    So, I just wanted to tell you^^[face_dancing]... I hope you're not annoyed[face_worried]

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Abeja, we're taking some kind of tour when we're in Munich (we are there for I like 1 & 1/2 days; enough time to go there, see the sights, then leave for Prague).

So I had some dumb American questions:

I'm going to at least three different countries within the first 5 days (England, Deutschland, and Czech Rep), plus all the other traveling I'll be doing while I'm there (Poland, Austria, Slovakia, etc). I know I have to get a power converter and different plugs.

So my question is, does all of Europe go on the same voltage (aka how many converters do I need to get exactly) and do they all use the same type of plug? If not, which ones do I need?

Secondly, I had a fashion question. I live on the beach; normal attire is a t-shirt, cut off pants or shorts, and flip flops. Now I know it's going to be way colder so I'll actually have to wear "real" clothes, but is there any fashion no-nos I should know about before I go over there so I don't look like an idiot?

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I'm not sure about the voltage. That's what I ask whenever I go on holiday. [face_blush]

If you dress yourself in a normal American style, I don't think you can't do big no-no's. And if you come to Cologne on the 11th of November, you won't have any problems at all, since then you can run around with normal clothes or dressed up for carnival, because it's the start of the fifth season and it doesn't matter at all. :p

Some pics of the shopping mile of Cologne:
    pic one
    pic two

Maybe you get an idea what people wear in Cologne normally and what you see when you go to our two biggest shoopings streets (Schildergasse and Hohe Straße). :)

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I had a question about restaurants/bars:

Where do you tip and how much?

20. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The 'official' say is 10% of the regular payment/bill. Mostly in bars and restaurants. If you take a taxi, they'll happy as well. The same goes for every service that you pay for. But you don't have to count every cent for the exact 10% of course. :)

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Only a few days before I leave! :D

Since I'm trying to plan ahead with my schedule, Flo and Senny, when would be the best time for me to try and plan a trip out there?

22. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    personally, any time before early October
    if it's just a weekend, anytime really. I have very few plans.
    Flo, on the other hand, works too much ;)

23. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    I would prefer everything after early October... As Senny said I work too much!
    And he is damend right.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    It would only be a weekend. They got rid of our mid-semester break. :(

I probably wouldn't be until October/November anyways. We're crazy busy all September.

Sheesh, and I need to fit in a weekend to go to Berlin and Paris. When am I going to study? :p

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I would suggest to do that while you're in the trains. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.