main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Headstrong - AU - Xan/Quinlan/Qui/Obi/Dooku -Update Dec.17th!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Itachi-Uchiha, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Gkilkenny: Ganner sounds like a true friend something
    that Xanatos needs.

Ganner knows his friend well and knows Xan isn?t evil. :)

Leona: Xanatos is lucky to have a friend like this.

We should all be so fortunate. [face_good_luck]

KELIA: I love that Xan is willing to do whatever it takes, however long it takes to regain his status as a Jedi.

He?ll be tested and will have to struggle to keep his resolve.:(

Diane: Great job. Love this story.

Thanks. [face_blush] I truly appreciate the feedback.

Persephone_Kore: Granted, I'm partly intrigued by the mention of Dooku in the thread title, but I also thought you did a very good job portraying Xanatos as someone who had done something he knew darned well was a bad idea and talked himself into it anyway because he wanted it. For some reason, even though this is how I usually get into trouble myself , I don't seem to see it show up frequently in other people's interpretations. I also like that you don't plan to make Qui-Gon out to be a villain over the separation, that the Council's discipline is stern but not treated as beyond reason, and that Ganner is indeed such a good friend.

Welcome! :) Hope I can keep you coming back for more. Dooku is a sly and clever one in this fic which is how I saw him in the films. As for Xan, I don?t believe he was evil, just misguided and weak when it came to his own desires. Qui-Gon turns out to be a very good guy in this one.

Nimloth: That was the most concise, unadorned and self-deprecating confession ever!

This Xan has a host of flaws but he isn?t the devil in disguise. He will struggle to do what is right but make mistakes along the way. [face_love]

Thanks for the replies. [:D]

Chapter Three- Letting Go

Qui-Gon Jinn shortened his strides so that Master Yoda could keep up with him as they traveled down a pathway of the Temple Gardens. Leaning heavily on his gimer stick, the ancient Jedi Master lead the way to a marble bench tucked between a crop of fruit trees. Waiting until the venerable Jedi had crawled up on the bench and situated himself, Qui-Gon took a seat on the opposite end before inhaling the sweet scents that surrounded them.

He had always found comfort in this particular spot, retreating here often ever since he was a very young apprentice. There had been countless times when life as the apprentice of Master Dooku had threatened to wear him down. More often than not, they had butted heads, their philosophies on what a Jedi should and should not do clashing violently. His Jedi Master had scoffed at his sensitivity to the Living Force, considering it a grave flaw in Qui-Gon?s makeup. Even now he could clearly hear that cultured voice admonishing him yet again.

Your heart is much too soft, Padawan. One of these days one of your pathetic creatures will be your undoing.

In some ways Dooku had been proven right. Xanatos? betrayal had come from out of no where and nearly rendered him incapable of functioning. It had been a mere two weeks since their return from Telos and still Qui-Gon found himself struggling just to get out of bed in the morning. He had even taken to hiding in his quarters in order to avoid running into his former apprentice but even that had proven to be a chore since there were so many reminders of Xanatos littering their small quarters.

He had refused to ask anyone how Xantatos was doing, his few visitors soon learning that his former apprentice was not a subject open for discussion. An annoying wave of guilt washed over him, a hand lifting to press against the area of his chest that protected a fractured heart.

"Grieving you are still."

Master Yoda?s gravelly voice was a welcome relief from his morose thoughts. Gripping the bench beneath him with both hands, Qui-Gon blindly stared ahead as he responded to the question. He was unaware of the fact that to his companion the way his shoulder were rounded and bent forward he appeared like a wounded bird

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I love this story. Qui-Gon is being his stubborn, hurt self but at least he isn't trying to sabatage Xan's future.

Qui-Gon stared at the sheet with something akin to revulsion before reaching out with a trembling hand and studying the names. He found himself having to blink in order to clear the blurriness from his eyes before he could make out what was written on the sheet. A part of him was screaming inside that this was not right. A Jedi Master should not be forced to find a substitute mentor for a young man he had raised for years. Clearing the lump from his throat, he forced himself to share his thoughts on the four candidates.

I think he needs to rethink his position with Xan. Once learned, the lesson may take for them both.

Looking forward to more.

3. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    Vos as a padawan and the Master is Xantos!! what a great combination!! I just can't wait for the next posting.

Love the way vos is just like a young Xani!!! The the way that they seem to fit together with rogue(ish) personalities.

Please post a nice long story!!!
    :D

4. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I bet that was hard for Qui-Gon to recommend his old Master Dooku
    to be Xani's Master.:(

I think Qui-gon is being too hard on him self but thats Qui-Gon for you.[face_thinking]

Wonderful post thanks for the PM.=D=

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "I must admit I?m shocked to see my former master put his name in the running."

Really? I have to admit being curious as to the intent here. o_O NO doubt this will prove quite interesting.

6. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    Qui-Gon stared at the sheet with something akin to revulsion before reaching out with a trembling hand and studying the names. He found himself having to blink in order to clear the blurriness from his eyes before he could make out what was written on the sheet. A part of him was screaming inside that this was not right. A Jedi Master should not be forced to find a substitute mentor for a young man he had raised for years. Clearing the lump from his throat, he forced himself to share his thoughts on the four candidates.

Is there any possibility for Xan to be accepted back by Qui-Gon?...If not, I´m afraid that the poor man´s appointed to a hard trial, having Dooku as his new master![face_worried]

Nice update.:)

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Quite stubborn Qui-Gon is being

[face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you]

I hope he listens to Yoda's advice and meets with Xanatos. I agree that he needs to in order to heal.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    I wish Qui-Gon could see Xan now and how much he regrets what he did on Telos. I wish he could see that Xan learned a very valuable lesson.

Why does Dooku training Xan worry me?

"The first two are much too young and inexperienced. Xanatos would chew them up and spit them out before morning meal." I found this really funny. [face_laugh]

9. master_jade

master_jade Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2006
    I'm really glad to find another story about Xanatos.
    And a one when he has to redeem himself after what he did on Telos.
    I'm really looking forward to the next chapters

10. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Oooh, this looks very interesting. Of course, I was automatically attracted by the list of characters -- somehow you've managed to put all my favorites together in a single fic. :D

Argh, Qui's being terribly stubborn here. I feel bad for both him and Xan, because they're both realizing and regretting the mistakes they've made. Xanatos and Dooku would be an interesting combination, to say the least.

I'll be interested to see where this goes.... If you've got a PM list, would you add me? Thanks, and nice work so far!

11. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    Diane: Qui-Gon is being his stubborn, hurt self but at least he isn't trying to sabatage Xan's future.

My evil alter ego might have had Qui doing just that. [face_devil] Good thing the big lug has kind of grown on me. ;)

XANI: Love the way vos is just like a young Xani!!! The the way that they seem to fit together with rogue(ish) personalities.

Those similarities are what drew me to the bunny. [face_love] Welcome! I hope you stick around for the ride.:)

Gkilkenny: I bet that was hard for Qui-Gon to recommend his old Master Dooku
    to be Xani's Master.

What comes down the road will only make him feel worse. [face_worried]

Leona: NO doubt this will prove quite interesting.

I hope so! :D

Nimloth: Is there any possibility for Xan to be accepted back by Qui-Gon?...

Well. Xan was close to taking his Trials so I doubt Qui will resume that role in his life again. [face_batting]

KELIA: I hope he listens to Yoda's advice and meets with Xanatos. I agree that he needs to in order to heal.

That may take some time and may not occur the way we would wish. [face_plain]

Magier: Why does Dooku training Xan worry me?

Because Dooku is sly and manipulative? [face_hypnotized]

Master_jade: I'm really glad to find another story about Xanatos.
    And a one when he has to redeem himself after what he did on Telos.

Welcome. :) Xan has a tough road ahead of him that?s for sure. Hope you enjoy taking the journey with him.

Star-Foozle: I was automatically attracted by the list of characters -- somehow you've managed to put all my favorites together in a single fic.

It?s a full cast. :* Although it will be a few chapters before Quin and Obi appear. Welcome.

Authors note: Jai Maruk is a character from the wonderful book Dark Rendezvous. This version of him is taken from the description of his youthful self.

Chapter Four- Fighting Old Demons

The whispers and covert looks began the instant he stepped foot inside the training salle, some glances falling beneath his piercing stare while others boldly met and held his own. A myriad of emotions flashed through their eyes, resentment, dislike, pity, and more often than any other, distrust. He had been expecting just this reaction and yet nothing could have prepared him for the effect it had on the already tenuous grasp he had of his emotions. Pride kept him from spinning on his heel and fleeing back to the sanctuary of his temporary home, long legs carrying him to an available set of workout equipment in a far corner of the room.

He had spent the past few days in seclusion, only venturing from his temporary quarters long enough to attend counseling sessions. Always an active person the forced solitude had quickly begun to wear on his patience and eventually driven him to the gym. The Council had yet to contact him about a substitute mentor, a fact which was worrying although he had been careful to conceal the truth from Ganner and Master Okita. The combination of restlessness and fear were steadily eating at him until he now felt like a ticking time bomb.

Hoping a vigorous workout would burn off some of the heightened emotions before they strangled him, Xanatos studiously ignored the continued glances and whispered conversations. Blocking out all outside distractions, he grasped a set of bars with both hands before swinging his body into a complicated series of twists and turns. Muscles burned and a sheen of sweat broke out on pale skin as he continued to push himself harder and harder. To the nearby spectators he appeared as a blur, a whirling dervish of pure energy and grudging grace.

His dismount from the piece of equipment was a stunning display of aerial skill as he somersaulted several times in midair before landing flat footed. Knees bent to absorb the weight of his body, he took a moment just to suck in deep breaths of air. So focused on slowing his racing pulse, he failed to sense t

12. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

A myriad of emotions flashed through their eyes, resentment, dislike, pity, and more often than any other, distrust.

Xanatos has his work cut out for him convincing them he is on the light side.

Qui-Gons lessons are helping him.[face_thinking]

Great Chapter.=D=

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Xan certainly has a lot of things to work through, least of which is his own anger. That he let Jai goad him into it doesn't make things any better. I have to wonder at the Council's wisdom, though, if they knighted Jai with such flaws in him.

Loved this.
    Xanatos felt the beast inside begin to stir as he opened himself to the overwhelming rage that burned in the pit of his belly. A distant part of him knew full well that he was reacting to more than just his childhood rivals taunts and dirty fighting, events of the past few weeks breaking through carefully constructed shields and bubbling to the surface. His mouth began to salivate as he once again recalled the thrill of power he?d experienced on Telos as he prepared his father?s men for battle. The heady feeling of delight as he indulged in a wide variety of sensual pleasures that tempted all of his senses. Mind, body, touch, taste and smell all indulged with the finest that Telos had to offer.

Luckily he was able to throw it off with some help from Qui-Gon's training.

Great job.

14. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    *blinks and then slowly applauds Xan* Good choice.

And oh, Jai. I was really fond of him in Dark Rendezvous, and I always felt that he and Scout would have worked things out and been a good combination eventually if they'd had time. Which is why I'm cracking up here, because she would so do that if she felt she had enough reason.

15. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Agh the frustration of learning a lesson the hard way.

As difficult as facing everyone in the Order is, I certainly hope Xanatos will handle the taunts from Maruk and others better next time.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

16. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I think it was a good start for Xan. Yes, he was feeling angry and really wanted to teach Jai a lesson, but he was able to gain control over himself. Poor guy though. It had to be humiliating for him to face his peers, especially in a training room without his saber.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Why do I think this confrontation will not end well?

They had expected the worst from him and he was playing right into their hands.

Something you're going to have to deal with from now on in fact. Good that Xanatos managed to reign in his anger and act like more a Jedi.

18. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    You have
    the heart and soul of xanatos' feelings in this post.

He did not bring his saber, great answer!o_O

Xanatos just assumed that he would win the fight, from the start.
    By walking out he won a bigger battle with the dark side.
    I bet Master Jinn and Yoda hear about this fight from many of the surprised bystanders, and how xanatos handled the loss.

Hope you post soon!!

19. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    Well, that was a very ilustrative scene about conquering pride and angered impulses in a difficult setting...another step for our almost-fallen Xan towards the wonderful jedi knight of the first chapter.
    Good work!:)

20. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    Gkilkenny: Xanatos has his work cut out for him convincing them he is on the light side.

There may be people like Jai who never learn to trust him.:(

Diane: I have to wonder at the Council's wisdom, though, if they knighted Jai with such flaws in him.

Ah but we know from reading Dark Rendezvous that Jai turns out okay. [face_love] So there is hope for our Xan yet.

Persephone_Kore: And oh, Jai. I was really fond of him in Dark Rendezvous, and I always felt that he and Scout would have worked things out and been a good combination eventually if they'd had time.

I fell in love with Jai after reading that book and wanted to write him so he appeared here. :*

KELIA: As difficult as facing everyone in the Order is, I certainly hope Xanatos will handle the taunts from Maruk and others better next time.

It will take time. Events begin to happen that will only make Xan?s journey back even more difficult.[face_devil]

Noi: It had to be humiliating for him to face his peers, especially in a training room without his saber.

It had to sting his pride.[face_worried]

Leona: Good that Xanatos managed to reign in his anger and act like more a Jedi.

I guess he did listen to Qui on occasion.;)

XANI: You have
    the heart and soul of xanatos' feelings in this post.

Thank you. [face_blush] I love to write him.

Nimloth: another step for our almost-fallen Xan towards the wonderful jedi knight of the first chapter.

An obstacle to that is on its way.[face_skull]

Author's note: Dooku's last advice to Xan comes courtesy of Jude Watson's Legacy of the Jedi book.

Chapter Five- Dangerous Games

Jedi Master Dooku, Count of Serrano, stared down his patrician nose at the young man entering the room. Standing in the shadows, Dooku knew his presence was temporarily hidden from the new arrival, a deliberate tactic on his part. He wanted a few moments to study the young Jedi unobserved and while his shields were lowered. While the Council had briefed him on the events that transpired on Telos, Dooku was unwilling to blindly accept their view of the situation. The Council members were not above slanting details to suit their needs.

Dooku had of course had various discussions over the years with his former apprentice, Qui-Gon Jinn, about Xanatos Akshay and his seemingly never ending brushes with trouble. Qui-Gon had naturally allowed himself to become too attached to the boy, his affection blinding him to what simmered just below the surface. Qui-Gon?s empathy had been the one glaring flaw that Dooku had never succeeded in training out of him. That and the younger man?s reserved manner that often left Dooku frustrated as he tried to decipher just what his apprentice was thinking at any given time. Unlike Qui-Gon, Akshay?s reserve was something calculated in order to hide other things. It had taken Dooku only one brief meeting in order to sense the traces of darkness that Xanatos kept carefully hidden from those around him, in particular his mentor. When the boy had seen the realization in Dooku?s expression his own eyes had burned with a warning glare, his manner bordering on being insolent.

It had come as no surprise to Dooku to find out Xanatos had betrayed Qui-Gon and nearly started a war. It was not in the young man?s nature to be docile and obedient, two characteristics the Jedi Order valued highly. Dooku felt a sense of kinship with the young man since he himself had come from a life of power and privilege. They had been born to rule men, not cower to them, and even now, his future with the Jedi in doubt, Xanatos carried himself with an innate arrogance and sense of entitlement. The pride that Yoda had so often chastised Dooku for having flowed freely through Akshay?s veins and would require careful plotting to work around.

"Master Yoda has informed me that pride and anger have once again landed you in trouble."

The young man started at the unexpected sound of Dooku?s voi

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, my - Dooku is already grooming him for sithly ways, right? Well done.

22. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Ooooh, dear. Dangerous games, indeed. I'm thinking that this whole Dooku/Xan combination could very well lead to disaster.... It will certainly be an interesting dynamic. Nice work, and I'm looking forward to more. :)

23. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    I don't like the plans Dooku had for Xan. :_| Please say that he will be his usual stubborn self and not give in to whatever Dooku has up his sleeve. Eek, if Dooku convinces sad to go all darkside, that would be a really dangerous combination.

24. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    Interesting and rather troubling.

I'm personally very skeptical of the idea that Dooku was seriously tending toward the Sith at this point in time. That he was arrogant and had developed some very problematic ideas (not least his betrayal complex) is a given, and these problems made him more vulnerable to Sidious, but I think he was quite sincere in being a Jedi -- through all the arguments with the Council -- right up until he wasn't, if you see what I mean.

But while there's just enough in the way of indirect statements that you could be being misleading -- we've seen quite sincere Jedi choose very curious ways to make a point before -- I don't assume you share my interpretation. ;) Certainly you haven't gone with the idea (speculated elsewhere, claimed outright here... I think he also officially used it to tame a dragon and heal himself from a bioweapon, but I don't have the sources) that Dooku himself was a Living Force type, but then I think it's much more common and intuitive to associate it with Qui-Gon's compassion/connection/affection/respect for other living things (not so much Dooku's strong point given his burn-scarred empathy even in his virtuous moments) than with the "emphasis on action and instinct" claimed there. You have Dooku basing this connection with Xanatos on their mutual flaws, and specifically on flaws he doesn't recognize as such, and that's not likely to be healthy for either of them. Going by the first chapter Xan comes through it okay, but I won't be especially surprised if you drag Dooku into enlightenment in this AU and still less if you send him Sith early.

I wonder what benefits Qui-Gon expected from the combination? I think he made the decision in good faith, and I thought (could be wrong) that he was seeing some good possibilities rather than just picking Dooku by process of elimination. Obviously you don't have the Jedi in general or Qui-Gon in particular recognizing a serious problem in Dooku yet... I guess they still think he's just one of the mavericks at the moment, as Qui-Gon is and Xan and Quinlan will be.

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Dooku is playing with Xan. Xan should be careful!

Loved this

Dooku smiled openly for the first time at the admission. "You do not have to love your mentor, Padawan Akshay, in order to learn from him. And contrary to what Qui-Gon would have you believe, not all beings are worthy of love simply by virtue of breathing."

His words clearly struck a nerve, Xanatos inhaling sharply before searching his gaze. "According to Master Qui-Gon my inability to feel compassion for every creature we encountered was a grave weakness."

"And I have always felt his constant need to be connected to the Living Force was his." Pushing himself to his feet once again, Dooku approached until he stood directly in front of Xanatos, a hand coming to rest on the young man?s shoulder. "We all have our own particular gifts and no one person?s is better than the other. It is your choice but I feel out of all of the candidates, I can instruct you in a way the others can not. We are similar, you and I."

Run away, Xan!! As fast as you can.

Great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.