main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Headstrong - AU - Xan/Quinlan/Qui/Obi/Dooku -Update Dec.17th!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Itachi-Uchiha, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimloth

Nimloth Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2007
    Nice update!:)

But I´m kind of frustrated with Qui-Gon! He must be a little more sharp with his former master or poor Xanatos will have a dark future!o_O

2. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Dooku is certainly a devious Jedi. No wonder he turned in the movie.

He certainly rubbed Qui-Gons nose in the dirt.

excellent chapter.=D=

3. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Dooku sure has a way of twisting things to make himself appear to be the better mentor. [face_frustrated]

I hope Qui-Gon doesn't take anything he said as fact. [face_worried]

4. Itachi-Uchiha

Itachi-Uchiha Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2007
    Valairy_Scot:Man, Dooku is cold and calculating..poor Qui.

In AOTC he always struck me as being very slick and able to twist both his words and situations to suit his purposes.:mad:

XANI: the story is like a web of deceit, with dooku as the spider.

The road is very rough but there is some calm in the distant future.:)

Diane: Dooku is really dark, bating Qui-Gon, taunting him with his failure. Don't like the man at all!

I agree.[face_plain] I based a lot of their interactions on JW?s version.

Leona: Wow, how can the Council not sense all the mess Dooku is up to??? I don't like him at all either.

For the same reason Mace assured Padme that it wasn?t in Dooku?s nature to order an assassination. Silly Jedi!o_O I guess they want to believe he is above such vile deeds.

KELIA: I have no doubt Dooku can hardly wait to tell Xani Qui-Gon doesn't believe the truth of what happened on their mission.

Oh Dooku will be quick to twist things.[face_devil]

Nimloth: He must be a little more sharp with his former master or poor Xanatos will have a dark future!

Qui is just so confused and torn.:( He feels he owes Dooku his respect and his former master really hasn?t done anything to make him doubt his word. Xan on the other hand? Qui cares about Xanatos but there are still betrayal issues.

Gkilkenny: No wonder he turned in the movie.

He has his own set of beliefs that we get into down the road. Way down the road. :p

Bek: Dooku sure has a way of twisting things to make himself appear to be the better mentor.

You haven?t seen him at his best yet. [face_skull]

Chapter Eleven: : Manipulative Maneuvers

Xanatos sat cross legged on a large pillow in a meditation room. Hands resting in his lap, eyes closed, he was immersed in the Force in a way he had never achieved before. A sense of restlessness had driven him to the room in an attempt to forget the impending meeting between Master Milcah and the Council. He had no real hope that anything she told them would make a difference in their opinion of him and the events on Ondus. Master Dooku had been right about that at least. The Council would forever view him with suspicion and distrust.

Weary of pacing the stark confines of the bunkroom, he had decided to try some of the meditation techniques Master Milcah had given him on their last visit. His attention had wandered as he had begun but in seemingly no time at all he had found himself on a level of the Force never experienced in the past. He felt attuned to his Force abilities and somehow strengthened as if the Force eddies had wrapped him in embracing arms. It was almost as if the Force were blocking those darker currents, silencing the insidious whispers that haunted both his sleeping and waking hours. He felt safe, at peace and protected for the first time in countless years.

The deafening silence was oddly unsettling for someone used to the dragon's screams.

"Xan?"

The voice seemed to come from a great distance as he struggled to pry open heavy lids. It took several seconds before he was able to bring the concerned face of his best friend into focus, his lips slowly curving into a welcoming smile that brought a flash of startled surprise into Ganner's eyes.

"Welcome home," Xanatos breathed as he slowly brought himself back to full awareness.

"Sorry for disturbing you but I wanted to see for myself how you were doing." Ganner raised a hand in the air before letting it drop just as quickly, his brow furrowed in concentration as he studied Xanatos? face. "You seem.. different."

An ebony brow quirked in question. "Different how?"

Ganner shrugged as he took a seat on the pillow across from his friend. "Calmer and more relaxed than I?ve ever seen you."

"Master Milcah gave me some new meditation techniques to work on and I have to say they?re pretty amazing." Rotating his head in order to release any lingering tension, Xanatos addr

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Xani, Xani, Xani

How typically arrogant of him to think he can handle Dooku's manipulations and still learn from the man.

He didn't even try to see things from this counselor's point of view

[face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you]

His meeting with the council should be interesting to say the least.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. Nimloth

Mar 10, 2007
    I´m afraid that Xanatos is ready to play a dangerous game with Dooku...but I liked that, at least, he is enhancing his ability to connect with the Force! (pretty good techniques must be, that can work out what Qui-Gon couldn´t :) )

BTW, if Qui-Gon cares enough to meddle in his problems...

Xanatos? heart skipped a beat as his head jerked back in reaction. "Master Qui-Gon? What does he have to do with this?"
    "I assumed since he just left my presence, after informing me in so many words that I was mishandling your training, that you had given your healer permission to share the details with Qui-Gon."

...why is he angry, and not grateful? :(

Good post!

7. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Dooku waved a dismissive hand in the air. "Not at all. I understand that you must be honest with your counselor. No, my concern is that you felt a need to bring your former mentor into this."

Xanatos? heart skipped a beat as his head jerked back in reaction. "Master Qui-Gon? What does he have to do with this?"

"I assumed since he just left my presence, after informing me in so many words that I was mishandling your training, that you had given your healer permission to share the details with Qui-Gon." Dooku?s expression seemed to convey deep disillusionment. "I guess I was mistaken in believing that you trusted me enough not to go running back to my former apprentice carrying tales."

The dragon began to stir as the meaning of Dooku?s words sank in, Xanatos? hands clenching into white knuckled fists at his sides. He had trusted Master Milcah enough to share his innermost feelings and she in turn had betrayed that trust by going directly to Qui-Gon. She knew how he felt having his former mentor involved in any way with the current situation Xanatos found himself in.

You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable. It should never come as a surprise since it will come from friends and enemies alike.

It was a lesson he was becoming far too intimate with. Swallowing the bitter bile that burned the back of his throat, Xanatos clenched his jaw as he allowed the rage to fill him. So consumed was he with his own feelings of betrayal, he failed to see the ghost of a smile that shadowed Dooku?s lips.

"I never gave her leave to tell Master Jinn anything. I?m sorry about this, Master."

It appears that Master Milcah will have her work cut out for her if she is to regain Xan's trust. Maybe she'll be able to get him to see that Dooku is playing him for a fool. [face_praying]

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Dooku is such a master manipulator. Xan is arrogant and foolish enough to see only the surface and think it damning. And Dooku knows it.

Great job. Loved it.

The dragon began to stir as the meaning of Dooku?s words sank in, Xanatos? hands clenching into white knuckled fists at his sides. He had trusted Master Milcah enough to share his innermost feelings and she in turn had betrayed that trust by going directly to Qui-Gon. She knew how he felt having his former mentor involved in any way with the current situation Xanatos found himself in.

You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable. It should never come as a surprise since it will come from friends and enemies alike.

It was a lesson he was becoming far too intimate with. Swallowing the bitter bile that burned the back of his throat, Xanatos clenched his jaw as he allowed the rage to fill him. So consumed was he with his own feelings of betrayal, he failed to see the ghost of a smile that shadowed Dooku?s lips.

"I never gave her leave to tell Master Jinn anything. I?m sorry about this, Master."

Nooo, don't do it, Xan!

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "There is no question that Master Dooku is one of the most powerful Jedi of our time. Yes his methods may be unconventional, but I think I understand what he is trying to teach me." Knowing his friend was about to protest, Xanatos hurried on. "I can handle him if he becomes too erratic. Until then I feel that I should take advantage of the opportunity to learn what I can from someone of his status."

No, no and no Xan. [face_shame_on_you] As long as you're thinking like that you are doomed.

10. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    "paces back and forth, xan should know that dooku is taking him down a
    path that is not to his liking."

the battle of wills seems to be
    who will win
    Xani who always gets his way in the end
    vs
    someone who has conned the council into believing
    that he is still in the light. We all know dooku has departed
    the light
    he intends to drag xani down with him to the depths of the darkness
    oh the dragon is still sleeping

as alway your stories are great! on the edge waiting for a new
    post in
    the future (make that near future[face_praying])

11. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    KELIA: How typically arrogant of him to think he can handle Dooku's manipulations and still learn from the man.

Isn?t it though? Will he ever learn to stop and think things through instead of jumping in feet first? :mad:

Nimloth: ...why is he angry, and not grateful?

Because he?s a stubborn, arrogant young fool? ;) Let us hope he doesn?t wait until it?s too late before coming to his senses.

Bek:Maybe she'll be able to get him to see that Dooku is playing him for a fool.

That may be a lesson that Xan has to learn the hard way.[face_worried]

Diane: Xan is arrogant and foolish enough to see only the surface and think it damning. And Dooku knows it.

Couldn?t have said it better myself. That arrogance makes him such a fun character to explore.[face_love]

Leona: As long as you're thinking like that you are doomed.

Or at least in for some rough times.:(

XANI: who will win
    Xani who always gets his way in the end
    vs
    someone who has conned the council into believing
    that he is still in the light.

I think Xan has no idea just have crafty and patient his opponent can be as well.[face_devil]

Thanks to all of you for continuing to follow along and offer replies. [:D]

Chapter Twelve- Severing Ties

Xanatos wasn?t surprised to find the council room once again devoid of all but two of the orders most revered masters, but he was stunned and outraged to find Qui-Gon Jinn present beside Master Milcah. Forcing his gaze away from his former mentor?s piercing stare, Xanatos leveled his counselor with a narrow eyed look that burned with betrayal and anger. He wanted to make certain she knew just how defiled he felt knowing that she shared his innermost thoughts with the very man at the core of his anxieties.

A guilty blush stained the female Jedi?s cheeks as she took a hurried step in his direction. Something in his eyes brought her up short, her own feline shaped eyes widening in dismay before she bowed her head and fell back into place at Jinn?s side. Ignoring the disappointed look Jinn sent his direction, Xanatos turned his focus toward Master Yoda.

"You sent for me, Master?"

Pointed ears flattened against the side of the ancient master?s head as he observed the silent interactions between the three. "Came to me Master Milcah did about the events on Ondus. Worried she is about the training Master Dooku is giving you."

Xanatos bit back the heated words that immediately sprang to his lips and forced himself to draw a calming breath. Sensing his internal struggle, Master Yoda addressed the unspoken issue that tainted the meeting.

"My decision it was to bring Master Jinn into this. Protested it did Master Milcah."

The feeling of relief that swept through Xanatos at the words was almost enough to bring him to his knees. He hadn?t allowed himself to admit just how much having the healer?s support had come to mean to him. Dooku would consider it a weakness, he knew, but he was stingy enough not to care.

"I understand, Master," he was finally able to say, turning his head briefly to meet Master Milcah?s gaze.

"A mistake we made for doubting you. So sorry I am." The surprising apology made, Master Yoda returned to the subject at hand. "Asked Master Qui-Gon to speak to his former mentor I did. Assess his state of mind."

Qui-Gon shot Xanatos a troubled glance before responding to the opening Master Yoda had given him. The fact that he was no more comfortable being a part of the discussion did nothing to soothe the anger that consumed Xanatos. It required great effort for Xanatos to remain impassive as Qui-Gon began to report.

"I came away from my conversation with Master Dooku feeling very uneasy. Even after meditating on it I am no closer to understanding exactly what it is that seems out of place, but something is definitely not right about his words and actions at this time." Qui-Gon once again sent a worried glance in Xanatos? direction. "For someone who supposedly

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    He made the wrong choice but at least he knows that he has to accept the responsibility of his actions. Dooku is not a good influence on him. Xan has so much anger and resentment that he's not seeing clearly.

Great job.

13. Magier

Magier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2007
    Oh Xan, now is not the time to dig in your heels and be stubborn. Somehow, he has decided that he is more wise than Yoda, Qui-GOn, and Milcah. Dooku will no doubt be pleased that Xanatos stood up to them. I hope he doesn't require any more tests of loyalty though. I hate to think of how he is going to try to twist Xanatos.

14. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    WOW - he actually fought to stay with Dooku. I'm not surprised, just disappointed.

I'm glad Yoda set the record straight about Milcah and that Xanatos was wise enough to forgive her, though I doubt Dooku will be as pleased to hear that.

I hope he keeps his promise to meditate daily. Perhaps the Force will help him to see what the Council has been unable to.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

15. Nimloth

Mar 10, 2007
    Was it pride? or something darker? But, in fact, Xanatos made a very bad decision...

"I have done much meditating the last few days and I have come to realize that I was wrong to question Master Dooku?s methods of teaching." Xanatos hurried on when he felt the waves of surprise and dismay coming from his counselor. "I can now see that he felt a need to deal with me in a more unconventional manner considering my past actions. We spoke openly about this and I feel that it would be a mistake to end the apprenticeship prematurely. I beg you to reconsider and allow me to complete my training under Master Dooku?s tutelage."

Things are getting more and more complicated![face_worried]

16. aliceandjasper

aliceandjasper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2007
    Wow...
    I felt a bit conflicted about reading this story. I started reading the first
    chapter a few weeks ago and was put off by the fact that Xan was a Knight
    without it being properly explained how he could come back so quickly. I should
    have read the second chapter...
    I am glad that I tried again because this story blew me off my feet. You were able
    to show that after Telos both Xan and Qui-Gon were hurt without making one of them
    totally unlikable. You made it easy to connect to all the characters and their emotions
    are believable. Xan is arrogant enough to think he can Dooku by himself which is a typical
    case of youthful overconfidence; I probably would have thought so too...[face_worried]
    Qui-Gon still clings to his previous relationship with Xan though he is still hurt
    the Council´s collective wisdom seems to be lost on some Outer Rim planet and Dooku is
    masterfully playing everyone. He just knows too much about Yoda, Qui-Gon and Xanatos.

[face_dancing] You have 35 chapters already written???[face_dancing]

Just to let you know: I love this story already. I love your Xan, your Qui-Gon and the little snippet we
    got of little Obi and I am intrigued by Quinlan (haven´t read much about him, just a few character descriptions)

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    "I can now see that he felt a need to deal with me in a more unconventional manner considering my past actions. We spoke openly about this and I feel that it would be a mistake to end the apprenticeship prematurely. I beg you to reconsider and allow me to complete my training under Master Dooku?s tutelage."

Sorry. Xan are you totally braindead? Here's your chace to make good on you desire to be a Jedi. Dooku is bad for you.

"Just swear to me, Xanatos. The Force is telling me that those meditations may one day save your life. I don?t know how or why but I can not ignore what I am feeling."

I don'y know what she sees in the future, but I know she right.

18. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Master Milcah shook her head in exasperation. "I do not agree with this decision and only hope you don?t come to regret it. Have you been using the meditation techniques I gave you?"

"Yes."

"If you do nothing else, at least swear an oath to me right now that you will practice them several times a day." Her gaze was faintly pleading as she grasped his arms in a tight grip.

"I don?t understand."

"Just swear to me, Xanatos. The Force is telling me that those meditations may one day save your life. I don?t know how or why but I can not ignore what I am feeling."

Baffled by the sense of urgency she was projecting, Xanatos nodded never-the-less. "I swear."

Keep that promise Xan. If she feels that strongly about it, then it may prove to save your life! [face_worried]

Mollified somewhat, Master Milcah squeezed his arms before taking her leave of him. Left behind feeling disorientated and strangely bereft, Xanatos began to make his way to the training salle. Master Dooku was waiting there to find out the outcome of his meeting. Right or wrong, Xanatos had made a choice and would now have to deal with the consequences.

Despite the offer the council made, does Xan believe Dooku to be his only chance to become a Knight or is he just too frightened and/or stubborn to take them up on the offer? [face_thinking]

19. XANl

XANl Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2006
    NO!
    How could Xanatos begin to think that he should stay with the count.
    Dooku is not Xan's only chance to become a knight. Dooku does not want xan to succeed,
    but sink deeper into the darkness.

Hope you post more soon! Jinn needs to step in and help.:mad: he is the cause of the
    problems. That means Jinn needs to help settle this problem and except xani and help xan attain
    knighthood.

20. Itachi-Uchiha

Jul 21, 2007
    Diane: Xan has so much anger and resentment that he's not seeing clearly.

Exactly. He?s falling right into Dooku?s trap. [face_shame_on_you]

Magier: I hope he doesn't require any more tests of loyalty though. I hate to think of how he is going to try to twist Xanatos.

Hope is futile when talking about talk, dark and handsome.[face_batting]

KELIA: I hope he keeps his promise to meditate daily. Perhaps the Force will help him to see what the Council has been unable to.

I?m not sure Xan is even willing to listen to the Force at this point. Stubborn man.[face_not_talking]

Nimloth: Was it pride? or something darker? But, in fact, Xanatos made a very bad decision...

Maybe a mixture of the two? Much as I love Xan, he does have those dark side tendencies.[face_worried]

Aliceandjasper: Just to let you know: I love this story already. I love your Xan, your Qui-Gon and the little snippet we
    got of little Obi and I am intrigued by Quinlan (haven´t read much about him, just a few character descriptions)

Welcome! :) I?m so glad you gave the story a second chance. I know Xancentric fics have a small audience but I just adore the character. [face_love] It?s difficult to balance Obi-Wan?s involvement since I?ve always written Obi/Xan heavy fics but he will make his voice heard as this story goes along. So glad to have you aboard.

Leona: Xan are you totally braindead? Here's your chace to make good on you desire to be a Jedi. Dooku is bad for you.

I?m afraid he doesn?t want to walk away from Dooku and look like he?s failed once again.:(

Bek: Despite the offer the council made, does Xan believe Dooku to be his only chance to become a Knight or is he just too frightened and/or stubborn to take them up on the offer?

A little of both I think. He knows the Council doesn?t trust him and pride may be keeping him from admitting he?s uncomfortable with Dooku.[face_plain]

XANI: Jinn needs to step in and help. he is the cause of the
    problems.

I don?t think Xan has anyone but himself to blame for his current situation. Did I just say that?!:eek: :p

Chapter Thirteen - The Lessons Begin

Dooku smothered a grin as he gathered the Force in his hand before unleashing it on the ?saber wielding young man. Xanatos was lifted off his feet and tossed across the room where he hit the wall with a loud grunt of pain before dropping to the ground. Head tilting to the side, Dooku waited to see what his student would do next. Grudging admiration filled him as he watched Akshay pull himself to his knees, rocking for a few seconds before somehow managing to gather his legs beneath him. The younger man weaved slightly, chest heaving, a trickle of blood oozing from the corner of his mouth as he glared heatedly in the Jedi Master?s direction.

"Impressive," Dooku murmured as he called his own ?saber to his hand and activated the blade. "Remember that pain and anger can be used to your advantage. Do not fall into the same trap that Qui-Gon and most other Jedi do by shutting off all emotion. Doing so limits your power."

Confusion flared in the depths of sapphire eyes at his words before Akshay nodded in understanding. Dooku knew it would take time to break the young man of the stunted thinking he had learned under Jinn?s tutelage but he had great hope. Akshay was already well on his way to rejecting the Jedi?s limited teachings, his shunning of Jinn and the interfering counselor?s machinations a positive sign. It would require careful handling in order to accelerate Akshay?s training while also concealing his methods from the Jedi.

The private training rooms allowed Dooku only so much freedom. It was imperative he fool the Council into believing Akshay was progressing enough that he be allowed to take his Trials. Only then could Dooku employ more aggressive methods of swaying Akshay to his side. Only through pain would the young man be open to accepting the dark gift.

A faint smirk curle

21. aliceandjasper

aliceandjasper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2007
    Nice chapter. Dooku really is a master manipulator. He knows Xan well and tells just enough truth to allow doubt to take hold. I really hope Xan doesn´t believe him.

Oh and I like Xan, too. I have never read the JA novels, though. I just read the Wookiepedia article and a few others.

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Dooku's manipulation of the truth is worthy of a Sith. He is trying to turn Xan with words and doubts and Xan is letting him. Foolish one!

I loved that Dooku could tell bits of truth and lies and make them all make sense.

Loved this.

Eyes wide in a pale face that glistened with sweat, damp tendrils of hair clinging to his head, Xanatos? grudging admiration was easy to see. The younger man truly had no concept of how opening ones self to the dark side could make one more powerful than any Jedi. Dooku could see greed and a burning thirst for knowledge lurking in eyes that rivaled the skies of Naboo.

Xan is getting in deeper and deeper.

Great job.

23. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    WOW

Amazing job showcasing just how effective at manipulation Dooku has become.

It's unfortunate the Council or any of the Jedi for that matter were too blind to see him for what he has become.

I fear poor Xani is going to suffer terrible because of it.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. Nimloth

Mar 10, 2007
    Well, Xan is getting more and more enmeshed in Dooku´s devilish plots, but, I´m afraid, perfectly willing...so, I wonder what kind of shock will be needed to save him [face_worried]

I´m really looking forward for your updates, and anxious to know what you´re planning to do with our heros!:eek:

25. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    WoW I missed three chapters.:eek:
    I cannot believe they finally realised Xanatos was telling the truth.
    Yoda isn't as smart as I thought he was.[face_shame_on_you]

Xanatos knows Dooku is not all sweet Jedi. Qui-Gon thought
    Xanatos would turn and yet he didn't sense his own Masters sneaky side.

Loved the updates and thanks for the PM=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.