main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Heart of a Kyoshi Warrior (Suki Pentathlon for the 2024 Summer Olympics)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by devilinthedetails , Jul 4, 2024.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Title: Heart of a Kyoshi Warrior

Fandom: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Author: devilinthedetails

Genre: A medley.

Characters: Suki; Sokka; OC's.

Summary: A collection of stories written for my Suki Pentathlon for the 2024 Summer Fanfiction Olympics.

Index of Events:

The Way of the Red Pine Tree. Judo. Suki; OC. General; Introspective. Post #2.

Kimchi. 100 Word Sprint. Suki; Sokka. General; Humor. Post #6.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024 at 4:51 PM
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Title: The Way of the Red Pine Tree

Genre: General; Introspective.

Characters: Suki; OC.

Event: Judo

Summary: A young Suki meditates on the way of the Kyoshi Warrior.

The Way of the Red Pine Tree (Judo)

It is bleak midwinter when Gyeong, Suki’s strict and stoic mentor as she studies to become a proud Kyoshi Warrior honoring her island’s legacy, leads Suki on a winding hike to a grove of red pine trees on a rugged, windswept bluff overlooking the ocean as night begins to fall.

Commands Suki to assume a cross-legged posture. The posture in which Suki has been trained to meditate.

“Meditate on the red pine tree native to our island,” Gyeong orders. “The way of the Kyoshi Warrior is the way of the red pine tree. The way of suppleness. See how the boughs of the red pine tree bend but do not break under the weight of the snow and ice. A Kyoshi Warrior is like that. A Kyoshi Warrior bends but never breaks. A Kyoshi Warrior is supple in all that she does. All that she is.”

Smooth and silent as a forest doe, Gyeong spins around. Disappears from the grove as Suki closes her eyes.

Reflects on her mentor’s lesson. On the way of suppleness. The way of the red pine tree.

Until dawn when the sun rises, bursting out of the ocean like an overripe orange as it always does on Kyoshi Island.

Until Gyeong returns to collect her. At which point she stands. Her bones stiff as icicles. Her skin cold as snow. Her heart and spirit supple as the red pine trees in the grove around her. Scenting the air with the tang of evergreen.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A nice lesson for Suki to train as a Kyoshi warrior in a beautiful scenery

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    And a Suki collection, too! I am so pleased. [face_love]

I LOVE how you took the judo prompt and applied it literally to this story - because it very much fits. If I didn't know beforehand, I wouldn't have been able to tell where the prompt was included, it slips into this 'verse very well. This is very much a philosophy I can imagine the Kyoshi Warriors embracing.

This description. [face_hypnotized] ^:)^

And these too! Especially that tang of evergreen - that was just *chef's kiss* all around, but to my senses in particular. It reminded me of the hemlock forests up north in Michigan, which are some of my favorite places in the world. This smell is one I can still vividly call to mind, and it always brings peace and contentment along with it. So I really identified with Suki's state of mind at the end of her meditation and overnight vigil all the more so. [face_love]

I can't wait to read more of this collection! Thank you for sharing your work with us, as always! [face_love] =D= [:D]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024 at 5:01 AM
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Gorgeous scenery and a great lesson for Suki. Wonderful start and response to this particular event prompt.

@};-

devilinthedetails likes this.
  6. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @earlybird-obi-wan As always, thank you so much for reading and reviewing! I'm so happy to hear that the lesson Suki learned resonated with you, and that you enjoyed seeing her train as a Kyoshi warrior in beautiful scenery. There will be more such beautiful scenery and Kyoshi warrior training as the Pentathlon progress, I promise:D

@Mira_Jade I'm so glad that you're thrilled to see a Suki Pentathlon because this was the last event I signed up for, and I worried I was putting too much on my plate as is the story of my life, but I kept feeling inspired to write about the prompts this year as they related to Suki, and in the end, I just couldn't resist creating this Suki Pentathlon, and it is bringing me so much joy to write it and pay tribute to an incredible character[face_dancing]

I absolutely love the judo prompt, and it works so well with the Kyoshi Warriors and what I imagine their philosophy to be, so it is awesome to know that you felt the integration of the prompt was so seamless!

That description was one that came to me as I was eating an orange, and I just knew that I had to include it in my Suki Pentathlon somewhere;)

The tang of evergreen was a description that really stuck with me as I wrote it because scents can be so evocative. Especially evergreen which also gives me a sense of clarity and peace whenever I inhale it.

I have never had the pleasure of visiting upper Michigan (but hopefully one day I can see it for myself), but I have been in some great woods in New England that give me some of my own cherished memories of the smell of evergreens, so I can relate to that emotion that you are describing, and I am glad that I could capture it for you with Suki's meditation and overnight vigil.

I hope that you will enjoy the next entry, and thank you as always for your kind words of support that mean the world to me[:D]

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Thank you so much for reading and for the sweet words:D One of the joys of writing this Suki Pentathlon is the chance to celebrate and explore the gorgeous scenery of Kyoshi Island, and to delve into some of the great lessons that shaped and defined the wonderful person that is Suki. I hope you will continue to enjoy this Pentathlon as it progresses!

Title: Kimchi

Genre: General; Humor.

Characters: Suki; Sokka.

Event: 100 Word Sprint

Summary: Suki bears keen witness to Sokka's first taste of kimchi.

Kimchi (100 Word Sprint)

Sokka sputters the first time he tastes the kimchi that flavors so many of the stews and soups enjoyed on Kyoshi Island. “What’s that?”

“Kimchi.” Suki grins at his reaction. Remembering that she has heard many of the outsiders who venture to Kyoshi Island–usually merchants eager to trade for elephant koi–find kimchi a punch to the palate.

“Kim-what?” Sokka sounds no more enlightened than before.

“Kimchi.” Suki’s grin sprouts into a giggle. “Fermented cabbage generously spiced with gochugaru, spring onions, garlic, ginger, and jeotagl.”

“We’re fermentation fans in the Water Tribe, too.” Sokka nods sagely. “Mostly of fish and seaweed.”

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I like kimchi although a bit on the milder side. Cucumber kimchi is delicious! I love this very humorous exchange. =D=

devilinthedetails likes this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Kimchi fun. But it's quite spicy. I like sauerkraut