main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Heir of the Hangover (OTP & Pairing Thread Challenge #11)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004

‘That’s the Wild Karrde,’ Luke thought excitedly as he walked across the crowded Coruscanti docking bay. He hoped Mara was on board. He hasn’t seen or heard from her since he gifted her his father’s lightsaber after their mission to Wayland. He hoped it would encourage her to train as a Jedi or at least keep in touch with him, but that has yet to happen. He wondered if she viewed the gift as inappropriate seeing that the lightsaber once belonged to the man who became Darth Vader—a disciple of the dark side and a cruel and sadistic killer. He sighed deeply. He really needed to talk to her to make sure he didn’t commit a blunder in etiquette.

Flowers, jewelry, those are proper gifts for a woman, not a weapon that probably decapitated countless of innocent people,’ he chided himself.

He found the ramp of Karrde’s ship down. He prepared to board the ship, but something he heard within the ship stopped him.

“She’s pregnant!”

Luke wasn’t sure, but he thought that was Chin’s voice.

“Yes, just a few weeks along.” Luke recognized the second voice as belonging to Talon Karrde. Luke stepped away from the ramp and moved to the side so the people inside could not see him, but he could still hear their conversation. He didn’t like eavesdropping, but his curiosity got the better of him. Mara was the only female crewmember on board. Luke didn’t even know Mara was dating somebody and now she’s pregnant.

“How the hell did that happen,” Chin replied.

Luke could hear Karrde chuckle. “Remember that incident during our last planetside excursion? We were all drunk and she wandered out of the ship and was gone to who knows where for half a day.”

“Oh crap,” Chin said so softly that Luke barely heard him.

“Yeah, oh crap!” Karrde said darkly. “I’m not looking forward to having a grumpy pregnant female onboard my ship.”

Luke began to seethe when he heard Chin’s next words. “There are doctors that can take care of that, aren’t there?”

“I’m not cruel enough to suggest an abortion,” Karrde said. “I just may have to ban her from the ship until she gives birth.”

Luke scattered to the back of the ship when he heard footsteps walking down the ramp. He peeked around the hull and verified it was Chin and Karrde. As the two men walked away from the ship, he let out a shuttered breath. Mara was pregnant and now her boss wanted to terminate her employment until she gave birth.

And who was the father? They made it sound like Mara got drunk and found herself in bed with some random stranger. He couldn’t believe her crew would abandon her like that.

He stood straight and squared his shoulders. He needed to tell her that he understood the situation and would stand by her when her crewmates abandoned her…but first he needed to take care of some details.

He walked up the ship’s ramp as he called out her name. “Mara! It’s Luke. Can I talk to you?”

Luke grinned broadly when Mara Jade exited her cabin and gave him a curious glance. “Skywalker,” she said before crossing her arms across her chest and leaning against the bulkhead. “What brings you here?”

Luke had a rehearsed speech, but upon seeing Mara his mind went blank. He looked down at his hand and remembered the flowers he bought for her. “These are for you.” He wanted to walk over and hand them to her, but his legs had obviously decided to support his brain in an apparent “no work” strike.

Mara, probably sensing his discomfort, pushed away from the bulkhead and retrieved the flowers from his hand. A suspicious expression crossed her face before she brought the bouquet to her nose to smell their soft, lingering fragrance. She looked up at Luke inquisitively. “What’s the occasion?”

He shifted from foot to foot nervously. “No occasion. I just haven’t seen you since we returned from Wayland. I thought maybe you were upset over my last parting gift.”

Her brow furrowed. “The lightsaber? Why would that upset me?”

He shrugged slightly. “It uh…it once belonged to a Sith. I thought maybe you saw it as something cursed.”

She chuckled as she turned and walked to the ship galley. “I need to put these in water.” She found a tall plastic storage container that could serve as a vase and filled it with water. She placed the flowers inside, admiring them for a long moment before turning and addressing Luke. “I was touched that you gave me the lightsaber. It was your father’s before he turned to the darkside. It is a family heirloom. If you sensed I was hesitant in taking it, it was for that reason. It should be handed down to your children.”

The talk of children pulled him out of his stupor as he closed the distance between them until he stood an arms distance from her. “I don’t know if I will ever have children.” He forced a smile on his face. “I never seem to find the right woman. My sister has tried to play matchmaker, but most women only want to be around me for my celebrity. They see the hero of the rebellion and a Jedi Knight and not the man.”

Mara scoffed softly. “I can honestly say when I look at you I only see the man.”

Luke smiled brightly at her comment.

“Because I sure in hell don’t consider you a Jedi Knight and the Imperial in me will never allow myself to see you as a hero.”

Luke’s smile slipped from his face. “Oh.”

She playfully smacked him on the shoulder. “I’m joking Skywalker.” She shook her head. “Wow, you are sensitive today.” She gazed at him intently. “So, are you going to tell me the real reason you’re here? Do you want the saber back? Did you change your mind about giving it to a future child?”

Luke looked down at the deck feeling exceedingly self-conscious. “I want to give it to a future child,” he said softly before looking her in the eyes. “We make a great team and I would like to be here for you now and in the future. I think I could make a great father if you would allow me to do so.”

“What!” Mara said as she took a step back. “Have you gone barvy?” She looked at him slack jawed before stepping forward and gazing deeply into his eyes. “Are you on spice?”

He blew out an exasperated breath. He knew she would probably reject him, but he still wanted her to know she wasn’t going to have to go through this pregnancy alone. “Mara, I just want to help you through your pregnancy, especially if Karrde suspends your employment until after you give birth. I’m your friend and I’m here for you.”

Her look was one of complete confusion. “Skywalker where did you get the idea that I’m pregnant?”

Now it was his turn to look confused. “I heard Karrde and Chin complaining about a pregnant female on board the ship. You’re the only female, unless you picked up another crew member.”

A look of understanding crossed her face followed by a wide smile. “Skywalker, Strum is pregnant.”

His eyes went wide. “Karrde’s Vornskr?”

She started laughing hysterically. “Yes, the last planet we visited was Myrkr. Chin drank a bit too much and forgot to close the ship’s ramp. She got out and hooked up with a local male. Pregnant Vornskrs are extremely aggressive during pregnancy. She would be a danger to the crew until she gave birth and weaned the young. That’s why Karrde was complaining.”

Luke’s face warmed with a blush realizing he acted like a complete fool in front of his friend. “I see.” He took a step back intending to flee the ship before he died of embarrassment.

Mara was still laughing when she grabbed him by the arm. “Don’t go. I want you here when I tell Karrde this hysterical story.”

“Mara,” Luke pleaded in mortification. “Please don’t tell them. I feel stupid enough.”

She regained her composure as she realized the changed in Luke’s demeanor. “Sure,” she said softly. “I won’t mention it.” He turned to leave but she refused to release his arm. She pulled him to the galley dining table and motioned for him to sit. “Luke, I’m flattered that you would volunteer to help me raise a child. I really am. I’m sorry that I laughed. It just was such a hilarious misunderstanding…about me being pregnant…not that you offered to help.”

He lowered his head to the table top and covered his head with his hands. “I am so embarrassed.”

“Luke.” Mara reached over and took his hand in hers. “Luke, stop it. You should never be embarrassed about acting nobly.”

Luke startled when he heard boots walking up the ramp. He reached out and sensed the return of the Wild Karrde crew.

Talon Karrde entered the galley, glanced at Luke and Mara and then the flowers sitting in a makeshift vase on the counter. His brow rose in surprise. “What’s going on?”

Luke could feel his stomach drop thinking there is no way Mara could hold a straight face in lieu of recent revelations. He was surprised when Mara continued holding his hand. “Luke came by to ask me out. He’s got reservations to the Galatina restaurant.”

Karrde let out a whistle of awe. “Wow, that place is expensive and hard to get into.”

Mara grinned at Luke. “It just so happens that the hero of the rebellion and the last known Jedi Knight has connections.”

Luke looked at her wide-eyed. ‘Did Mara just suggest that they go out on a date?’

Karrde grinned. “Well…it’s good to see you getting out, Mara. You work too hard.” He walked over and put a hand on Luke’s shoulder and gave him a stern look. “Make sure she gets home at a decent hour,” He said jokingly, giving his best impersonation of an overly protective father. “And keep your lightsaber in your pants.” As he walked away, he muttered. “I don’t need two pregnant females on my ship.”

Author Note: This fanfic is for the OTP & Pairing Thread. I had to write a story about a misunderstanding cleared up. I didn't put the entire challenge in the title because I thought it would give away the storyline. Also, I have no idea if Strum was male or female. If I was wrong about the sex of the animal consider this AU.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Too fun and adorable of Luke to want to help Mara, after coming to a natural conclusion; he never would think it was a vornskr who got pregnant. And [face_dancing] Mara wangled a date out of the whole situation. [face_love]

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  3. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks! I figure Mara thought, "I'll keep this hilarious secret...for a price." In my mind she was really touched by his sweet gesture. I can imagine Luke pulling off reservations for that fancy restaurant and maybe it will be the start of a beautiful relationship.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh ho ho ho! What fun this was! You know, as soon as I came across the mention of the pregnancy, I had an inkling as to where this might go—which doesn't mean it disappointed at all, quite the opposite! :D It brought to mind the episode of Are You Being Served? where Mrs. Slocombe is talking about her cat's pregnancy and all her male coworkers immediately assume she's talking about herself. Though Luke is a lot more caring than Messrs. Lucas, Humphries, and Grainger—he immediately offers to help Mara through the pregnancy, to be at her side while she raises the "child," etc. And he's so adorably gobsmacked when she explains it all to him, but she is sincerely touched by his kindness, too, and their fine dinner out will undoubtedly be the beginning of Something Wonderful. [face_love] You really rose to the occasion with this challenge with your knack for fun, snarky, but tender Luke/Mara banter—thanks so much for sharing! =D=

5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. I had a hard time coming up with a misunderstanding that I haven't used before. I think if Luke just found out about the pregnancy without believing the Wild Karrde crew were about to abandon her or pressure he into giving up the baby...he may have asked more questions and thought out his reaction to the situation a little more. I think the fact that he thought she was about to find out her friends are about to abandon her pressed him to act soon before the situation got worse for her.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

6. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Aww, Luke! Such good intentions. :p But for real, he is a gem and I'm glad that Mara sees that caring and all-around goodness for what it is... though still having a good laugh. Because how could you not? [face_rofl] It's just so very Luke Skywalker: Rescuer of Everything to come charging in when he picks up the (pretty convincing -- I don't think most would consider the vornskrs in the moment!) evidence that Mara might be in real need of help. Anyway, I especially liked Mara's way of asking Luke on a date at the end -- too perfect! [face_laugh] I think it may just work out, too.

(By the way, the title for this is absolutely the best.)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  7. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh my goodness, but this was just tlo priceless! The title, the premise, the snappy dialogue and edge of heart and resolution. I loved it all! :)

Oh, Luke. Well, when you put it that way . . . :oops:

Oh no, Luke!!! He's a dear with a heart of gold, but as per the challenge I am already cringing in sympathy. This is not at all going to be what he thinks. [face_mischief]

Exactly! I'm glad Mara put those silly fears to rest. And, speaking of it being a family heirloom . . . [face_whistling] [face_tee_hee]

Aw! [face_love]

And then that's more like it. :p

But in all seriousness, that's what I adore about Luke and Mara. They really see and understand each other - all of each other - and they match up perfectly in between. [face_love]

Yep. I can't say I blame her. And Luke!! Offering to co-parent with her?? Because he would. In a second. [face_love]

Yeah . . . that thought crossed my mind too! [face_laugh] :oops:

Exactly! It's an integral part of his charm. [face_love]

[face_laugh] I loved this - Mara seeing what she wants and going for it. I couldn't stop smiling through the end of this!

Bwaha!! [face_laugh] And with that the story comes full circle in the best of ways. Perfect! :p

This was a fun, highly enjoyable response to the challenge. Thanks for sharing! =D=

8. mayo_durron_666

mayo_durron_666 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 26, 2005
    I just found this! And it's hilarious! [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Poor Luke got his wires crossed! [face_laugh] So funny & so cute of him to be embarrassed. :p

Haha! Oh Luke is so lucky Mara is not that cruel! [face_rofl] At least he got a date out of this confusion. [face_tee_hee]

And I love Karrde's last line about not wanting two pregnant crew members! [face_laugh]

Brilliant job on this! =D=

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks @Kahara,@Mira_Jade and @mayo_durron_666 for reading and taking the time to review.

I wasn't sure about the title...I'm glad you like it Kahara. I really like doing writing prompt challenges. It gets me to write about things that I normally wouldn't consider. I think at least 1/2 of my stories were from writing prompts.

I guess the most unbelievable part of this story is not that Luke would volunteer to help, but that he would consider for a moment that the Wild Karrde crew would cast aside Mara in her time of need. The feeling I got from the novels is that Karrde is almost fatherly to Mara. I could see the crew taking on the roles of uncles to any child she brought into the world.

Mara probably really wanted to share the story, but she had said he should never be embarrassed about acting nobly. After Luke asked her not to tell, she honored his wishes because she was touched by his offer that went beyond friendship.

The date...maybe Mara really wanted to go to that particular restaurant...or maybe she took a step back and saw Luke with new eyes. Maybe his selfless act of compassion let her know he is a keeper.

Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to review! [:D]

10. JadeSphera

JadeSphera Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 10, 2018
    This was so much fun to read! :D
    Loved Luke's reaction, being all noble and supportive like only he can. And Mara, so in control as always :cool:
    I loved how you wrote this two. Glad I found this [face_love]

Kahara likes this.