main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Heir to the Empire, Dave Filoni movie Title

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, May 16, 2023.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Let's not forget how closely Tales of the Jedi adhered to the comics that had that title first. It might mean nothing.

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It also might not be true.

QuinlanSolo, Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    its def not true

5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I seriously doubt the movie has a title yet three to five years before it comes out.

6. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    I mean, logically we know he's leaning heavily into that novel across the shows with Thrawn and Tantiss and more. We knew that his movie would be the culmination of that storyline. It makes sense for the movie to be called this. But we're way far out from it so ultimately this could be an early title that gets changed or (more cynically) just an obvious guess from someone hoping to get easy cred.

(I'm also still in "we'll see" mode regarding Star Wars movies; this one seems more likely to get made based on context, but I'm really not counting any chickens before we even get eggs anymore)

I do have a lot of questions about how this movie will play out. If this is a theatrical release, how do they plan on accomplishing the balancing act of making it accessible to people who don't watch the Disney+ (and prior) shows but also making it a satisfying conclusion to those who are all in on it? Or maybe they'll just go all in on "watch the shows people"?

If I'm a more casual Star Wars fan and unfamiliar with the old EU, even if I'm all in on the shows and stuff, I hear the phrase "Heir to the Empire" and think "First Order" with the context of the sequel films. Leaks have indicated that Filoni is maybe trying to take his saga away from the Skywalker saga (narratively and physically). Will they try to circle things back to the ST or will this really veer towards the left and away from it potentially leaving unfamiliar audiences dissatisfied?

SyndicThrass and QuinlanSolo like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Three to five years? I think it's coming out a good deal sooner than that.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  8. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I wouldn't assume so. The Rey film is next up, and Filoni's film is supposed to be tying up the various Mandalorian-adjacent stories, including Ahsoka, Skeleton Crew, and any future Mando seasons. So it won't be out before any of those are done.

Revanfan1 and Sarge like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Seems an odd timetable with Mando s3 clearly seeding Thrawn. Plus Ahsoka in August. Doing those series then doing a conclusion out in 2027-2029 just looks weird to me.

JediFett10 likes this.
  10. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Ahsoka's allegedly getting a second season and Mando S4 has been written, so there's more to come before this film. We don't even know when Thrawn's going to actually be back in terms of posing a direct threat to the New Republic. Ahsoka could run for a few seasons with him doing stuff out in unknown space before getting into his Heir to the Empire starting position.

And this whole "Dave's adapting Heir to the Empire" is just speculation/fan assumption anyway. We don't know how or when Thrawn's going to play into it.

Rennzwerg likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Bad Batch season III may also tie into the Thrawn movie, if it is a relatively close adaption. So it’s a way off yet, potentially.

NJO comes first, no?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, adding those in would certainly help get it to 2025, 2026 with a 5th season of Mando perhaps. I can't see a big gap between end of a D+ series and this film coming out, would expect them to want to keep the momentum going.

Edit - Forgot about Bad Batch S3.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I assumed NJO in 2025, Thrawn movie in 2027, DotJ in 2029….?

JediFett10 and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I can’t recall if it was THR or Deadline, but one of the trades reported that LFL’s ideal release date was NJO in 2025, followed by Filoni’s film in 2026 but the latter was dependent on the production timetable of the Mandoverse shows.

I’ll also note that an Ahsoka season 2 hasn’t been confirmed yet.

JediFett10, Riv_Shiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Bibliora

Bibliora Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2023
    Does that mean there will be marsupials throughout the movie? I'm trying to read the trilogy for the first time and I can't get past image of lemurs and Thrawn.

16. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I’ll think you’ll find that the noble ysalamiri are lizards.

[​IMG]

17. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    There's a NJO movie?

18. Filoni Mandoverse Movie is not Really an "Heir to the Empite" Movie without Mara Jade, Talon Karrde and Joruus C'baoth but i could see Filoni trying to get back Mara Jade to make EU/Legends Fans want to Watch the Mandoverse Shows and the New Mandoverse Movie so these Fans maybe can Forget a little the Disney ST if Mara Jade is not back in Disney Canon i could see Filoni trying to get back Joruus C'baoth since there is already a reference to him in Disney Canon since Mount Tantiss appeared in Bad Batch

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2023
    Gallandro007 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    Adaptation (which this film might theoretically be) doesn’t mean 1:1 translation of text to screen.

If a film takes the central premise, major characters, ideas and plot points from a novel ...it’s an adaptation. Doesn’t matter if they don’t use or change certain elements, it’s still an adaptation of the original story.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    They should call it Dark Force Rising just to F with us

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Set fifteen years after TROS, yes.

Jedi Ben and Alpha-Red like this.
  22. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    Or maybe The Last Command of the Heir to the Dark Force Rising. But that'd probably be too long :p.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm looking forward to the member berries no question :):p
    *Language Warning*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2023
  24. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    To be clear, it is called "New Jedi Order" but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll have anything to do with the story we typically associate with NJO.

AusStig and Sarge like this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup.

Ginkasa likes this.