main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hello from Canada! - Lunchtime meet Sat 13th May 2006

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by echosevin, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Greetings fellow Star Wars fans! My name is Yrol and I hail from Calgary, Alberta, Canada - the great outdoors! Home of the Calgary Stampede!
    My husband and I will be in London this May, for a few days, before heading out to Spain. I thought I'd enlist the help of some kindred spirits (via these boards) to find out some much needed info.

We're staying in Kensington and are attempting to hit as many of the tourist sites as possible. As this is our first trip to the UK, we're VERY excited!![face_dancing] We've decided to take the Big Bus tour (as I hear this is the best way to see as much of London as possible in a day) and are visiting the British Museum (I've been reading about this place since high school - apparently it houses the largest collection of Egyptian artefacts in the world, outside of Cairo. I'm a huge fan of Egyptian history so this will be the highlight of my stay in London).
    I've got some questions about other stuff though:

- I've heard lots of good things about Hamleys, but after perusing their website, I find they're pretty pricey. I'd like to get some SW stuff from the UK, but more reasonably priced. Any suggestions as to where else I can find some good/cheaper priced merchandise? UK exclusive stuff? (toys, games, clothing...)

-I'm a huge Potter fan as well. Most of the merchandise we get here in Canada is from the States, and it's not great. Hardly any GoF stuff was released. Any suggestions as to where I can find Potter stuff? (toys, games, clothing???)

-Anyone heard of the London Pass? Is it really as good as it says? Getting you past queues, cheaper admissions, etc??

-Would like to visit Kings Cross station, but a friend said it was in a 'rougher' part of London. Is she just trying to scare me, or is it be pretty safe to go? (we'd go during the day of course)

-Any suggestions regarding reasonably priced pubs/restaurants to eat would be greatly appreciated.

We'll be in London for 4 days and leave in 3 weeks, so there's still plenty of time to get organized. Much thanks to any and all help you're willing to offer!

2. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    kings cross is no rougher than any other part of london... in fact,the ladies round that part of town have always been most accomodating to me,on several occasions.
    ah,happy days...

3. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Hi Yrol :D

I really hope that you enjoy your stay in London, and I?ll try and offer you as much assistance as poss by answering your questions.

The Big Bus tour definitely is the best way to see everything, and it?s always good being on the top deck. Just expect to get held up in traffic at some point, our roads are very small, lol.
    The British Museum is great, especially for the Egyptian stuff. We have a lot of things we aren?t really meant to have in there ;)
    And also check out the Natural History Musuem, the V&A Museum and the Science Museum if you can (these are all free and can be found near South Kensington Tube station). And the London Eye on the South Bank is very good, even though I haven?t been onit yet but it?s very popular.

Hamleys is very good and worth a visit, but it is pricey. The only other store that sells Star Wars goods is even more expensive though, but also worth a visit. It?s the Forbidden Planet Megastore on Shaftesbury Avenue. You may also find some Harry Potter items in there but I think we didn?t have a great deal of merchandise either.

I never heard of the London Pass I?m afarid.

Kings Cross is not the best of areas and I never enjoy going there. Plus the St.Pancras Station which was seen in Chamber of Secrets is having some work done to it so may well be covered in scaffolding. However, there is a place called Leadenhall Market which is where they film the entrance to Diagon Alley. You can also see the Lloyd?s building next door which is quite impressive, plus the Swiss:RE building which is a bit like the Jedi Tower :D

Weatherspoon pubs are very reasonable and the food isn?t too bad. But my fav place to dine is Wagamamas which is a Japanese restaurant and very, very nice.

I?ll try and draw up a map for you to aid your journey, and I?m sure other people will have some input for you so please feel free to keep checking and asking more questions ;)

4. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Kings Cross is not that bad during the day. Only thing with Kings Cross for Potter things is that where they filmed is named differently. When you go, look for platform 4/5 that is where they filmed for the entrance to platform 9 3/4 ....as for the exit you'll need to go towards the local trains.....it has a brick wall with a trolley for "going to platform 9 3/4" .....basically just to confuse everyone, that is actually where the kids come out of the wall.

More is filmed in Oxford but if you are only here for a few days doubt that is realistic as Oxford is something you would do in a day.

Me .... a Potter fan? [face_whistling]

Edit: as for Potter mechandising, most of the stuff comes from the US. The UK seriously got ripped off on Potter merchandise. Trust me, I buy most of my things when I am in Canada. I can't think of anything that I bought here that isn't available in Canada, and for less money.
    btw, have you looked at Hot topic?

5. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    For Star Wars and Potter stuff hit Forbiden Planet, the best Sci-Fi place in London. For a cheap[ place to eat, if your at FP you can walk to Tot courtroad, if you go far enough you come to a place called Maplins, turn down the road opposite there and theres a Pizza Place where you can get an 11inch Pizza for £3!

And if you ca, Go to Camden Town, go to a place called Cyber Dog, its a clothes store, but they have a cabnet full of Stra wars figures, thats cool.

6. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Fantastic! Thanks for the help. Will definitely try to find that other store - sounds interesting.

Yes - I have bought a few things from Hottopic.com - got a great HP hoodie from them. But I thought that since HP originated in the UK, you'd have some different products. More book related items, instead of movie related, you know? I guess I'll have to keep my eye out when I'm there!

I would LOVE to visit Oxford - a friend did an HP tour there and said it was really great. But we just don't have enough time :_|

Was thinking of visiting Leicester (sp?) square too. I was quite envious of you lot last year, when you hosted the big SW marathon and EP3 premiere.

7. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    You would think we'd have more but I've yet to see any....actually I found figures and stuff in Walmart and another store just like it which I can't remember the name of while there. I've yet to see these figures here. Unless they are in Hamleys which for obvious reasons being a poor student I never go to.

Shame about Oxford, you should do another trip and visit. It is a very beautiful place, here is a photo album with some of my photos from my trip earlier this month
    http://www.mikestruys.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=33

Trying to think of anything else, well there is Leavesden where they are filming at the moment and I know they have Hagrid's hut up as I have seen it although still takes just over an hour to get to, same could be said for places in London though :p

8. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Wow! What great photos! It makes me REALLY want to go to Oxford now!! Next trip for sure! My friend went last year, but couldn't get into some places as they were closed (or the school was in the middle of exams). Those pics make it look like you really WERE at Hogwarts!! (great costumes too!!)

9. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Yeah most of the places are used for schools, one place we were lucky as my friend is an alumni at so could get us in there :cool:

10. TemplarJedi

TemplarJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2000
    Hi there from your local London Jedi-Bobby :)

Everyone one this thread has been spot on with their tips re London, I just thought I?d add a wee bit more?

Cyberdog in camden is well worth a visit ? as is the market as a whole (I?ve lived 5 mins from it for nearly 5 years now and still visit once week or so?) It?s a colourful place with plenty of character, and an interesting balance to the formality of Whitehall etc that?ll you?ll see on the ?big bus? tours! In the stables area of the market there is a second hand toy seller who has some vintage SW toys ? but they are really over priced for the state of repair they are in!

Kings Cross is fine in the day time and Amber beat me to the mentioning the 9 ¾?s platform sign. The place is pretty much a big building site at the moment due to the channel tunnel link construction.

Other topical sites include the Knights Templar Church from the DaVinci Code novel (and presumbly soon the movie) this is just off The Strand and is in the Inner Temple, which is a nice area. And just over the road, behind the Royal Courts Of Justice is a pub called The Seven Stars. This is one of the oldest surviving pubs in the area (it survived the Great Fire of London) The food and real ale in theis pub are fantastic ? and the Landlady Roxy is as eccentric as the tiny pub itself.

Along the Thames you have the London Eye, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Palace of Westminster, HMS Belfast ? and if the weatehr?s nice a stroll along the South Bank is pleasant! And you may even fancy a trip to the Globe Theatre!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your visit!!

Rofl I sound like a tourist guide?

11. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I've heard of the London pass, but then again, I'll be in London myself in Sept. Yes, a regular to these boards and not a local!

London sightseeing from just 12 pounds a day with the award winning London pass. The Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, Windsor Castle, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre Exhibition and over 50 other favourite London sights and attractions with enterance fess totalling over 400 pounds included in the London Pass. Added benefits include discounts in shops and restaurants and a special theatre booking service.With fast track at many popular attractions, you will save time as well as money. Choose from 6, 3, 2 and 1 day London Passes and opt to include a Travelcard, covering London's public transport.

[face_thinking] I might even get one myself...

12. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Thanks for all the info guys. It's really helpful :) I almost forgot about the Da Vinci Code being filmed there (the book was AWESOME! Though I have my doubts about Tom Hanks pulling off the Langdon role - I pictured him differently). The Knights Templar Church would be facinating. We'll have to manage our time really well during our 4 day stay, in order to see everything [face_thinking]

Hope you don't mind, but I have more questions....

What's the weather normally like in early May? Warm? Rainy? Do I bother packing an umbrella?

Is it true that most shops close around 6 pm? Can you do much shopping after that?? What about weekends?? (we arrive on Thursday the 11th and head out on Monday, the 15th)

Do any of you fancy meeting up one night, perhaps and helping us experience our first English pint? :D It would be great to meet some fellow SW fans......

13. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I know what you mean, Tom Hanks wasn't who I imagined for Langdon either. Rest of the cast I think was casted fine it was just him.

Weather, with the UK there is always a chance of rain here so I would recommend an umbrella just incase. As for temperature I would say avaerage is probably between 12-16C.

Shops, depends on the shops and the area you are in I guess. Example where I am a lot of shops probably close around 7 and some around 9 but 10 minutes down the road shops shut at 5 and aren't even open on weekends, however they are in the business section of London which really doesn't have all that much to see anyway.

I'm game for meeting up, I will have finished most of my uni then and only have one exam which is sometime from the 15th on.....but can't study all the time right? and only other thing I will be doing in May is preparing to move to your side of the pond ;)

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Glad we could help Yrol :)
    I think Jeannette covered most basis with the weather report, and all I can say is definitely bring an umbrella with you. I don't leave home without it ;)

There is a lot to see and do in London (and beyond) and you'll be pretty tired by the end of the day, but that can only be a good thing. We also have some great art galleries including the Tate Modern, Tate Britain and The National.

I'd also be happy to join you for a pint one evening :D

15. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol UK has four seasons and they all include rain :p

16. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ha! ha! I'll be sure and bring one then.

AmberS - are you going to university there then? Cool!

My Lord-Tice - it would be a pleasure to make your acquaintance [face_mischief] In fact, I think it would be a great experience to meet many fellow fans from across the pond! These next few weeks are going to be busy, getting ready for the trip (3 weeks today!!), but once I get a better picture of our timeline, I'll know what day best works for us. I'm already thinking Friday or Saturday night. Suggestions??

17. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I am in my last year of uni, all my projects are due in on either the 3 or 5th May. But I move to Canada at the end of May not for university, but to live :)

18. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    I notice your ID says Halton Region - I take it you're from Ontario? My folks live in Guelph currently. I lived in Mississauga and Brampton before we moved back here. Can't say I miss the hectic lifestyle of the east though. Love the mountains out here too much :)

19. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I'm not, I am from London (UK) but my other half lives in Burlington. I have for the past two years been spending half the year in the UK and half in Canada.

I haven't been out of Ontario, actually I've only been between Niagara and Scarborough. I want to visit other places in the country once I am settled. The nearest I have got so far to seeing outside of Ontario was a stop off flight at Montreal :p

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    How does meeting up on the evening of Friday 12th sound?
    We can combine it as a 'Hello Yrol& hubby' and 'Bon Voyage Jeannette' meet.
    Maybe Templar can pick the pub too!!

Yrol, I'll also draw up a map with all the important stuff onit for you. I hope to find some free time later this week, if all goes well.

See you soon!! :D

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Friday sounds great. Doesn't look like we've got anything planned for that night, so we're in. Just let me know the time and place (gotta make sure we can navigate our way there).

Thanks for offering to draw up a map for us, Lord-Tice. That would be SO helpful :D

Confirmed our reservations at the Comfort Inn in Kensington and from what I gather, it's pretty close to lots of stuff. Shouldn't be hard getting around.

Just 15 days to go - I can hardly wait! These next two weeks are going to be hectic. We've got a big show on May 7th and Peter Mayhwew is our guest of honor. My first meeting with a SW legend [face_dancing] :D . It's pretty exciting!! I can't believe he's really coming. Two days after that, it's off on our big adventure to your part of the world [face_mischief]

22. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Kensington is a nice part of London, and a handy location. I can also recommend the Pixar exhibition at the Science Museum (assuming you like the Pixar films that is). It costs £9 to get in and isn't vast, but it has some fantastic displays and well worth it :D

Would it also be okay to slightly edit the title of this thread to accomodate for the planned meet? :)

Good luck with the show too!! :D
    Is it one that you've organised or are you just attending??

23. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Of course - edit the title as needed.

No, our FF didn't orgainize this event, but we're helping with set-up, hosting a booth to recruit new members and showcasing the groups activities, and are acting as 'security'. Really just doing our best to drum up interest and attendance. This is our first big name guest and if all goes well, it won't be our last :D . It's pretty exciting for us, as Calgary is considered 'small town' so to speak and not a usual stop for large events like this one (they're usually held in Vancouver or Toronto).
    If you're interested, check out the site:

www.calgaryexpo.com

24. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Thread title changed so hopefully that will catch some more attention (it's also our forum announcement) :D

The show sounds great and I wish you the best of luck. Peter Mayhew likes his social outings and I hope he proves to be an excellent guest for you. You can tell us how it went over our pint ;)
    We also have a table during a big London convention this July, so maybe you can also give us some tips on how to draw the punters in.

25. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    hmmmmm a another meetup i say i come but i dont :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.