main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Hello from Indianapolis, Home of the Indy Knights

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jorg_Sacul_from_C3, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jorg_Sacul_from_C3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    Hiya, not-so-distant neighbors!
    I'm just trying to increase our circulation out here since we've kind of gone quiet on the boards, and thought I'd put out a hello to you.

2. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Hello and welcome to St Louis!
    Nice to see you drop in.

3. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    Hi there, and welcome to the board. Hey....just found out my daughter and her high school marching band is gonna be doing the parade there for the indy 500....so look for the Mukwonago High School Marching band on ESPN.

4. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jan 26, 2004
    Tell her to start her strength training now.. the Indy 500 parade is a LONG haul. Also, it is an amazing event to witness first-hand. She'll have a great time, I'm sure.

5. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    The Indy 500... I like watching that race. You guys have a nice facility over in Indianapolis, I love that track.

6. Draco19

Draco19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    I like the track as well, I got to visit it 2 years ago when they were doing happy hour and it was awsome, wish I coulda seen the race. as for the parade, I had friends who marched in it and it was a dooze, my only advice for anyone who goes, make sure there's lots of water.

7. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Yeah, it can get pretty warm around that time of the year. And you're on or near hot pavement most of the time, and in the bleachers... Drink lots of water.

8. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jan 26, 2004
    Hot? Yes, it's true. Basically, drink (water) like you won't ever see it again, and you'll be fine. Of course, if you are consuming adult beverages, the water thing is still critical.

9. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Always wanted to see the Indy 500, sounds like a lot of fun. One of those many things what sucks on TV but is good in person.

10. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    That's how it is with most races. The only thing about seeing them on TV is you get better views, than just staying in one place. You want to have a great time, you go to your local dirt track. You get REALLY close to the action, and it's usually not that crowded. SO much fun. The Indy 500 would be something really neat to see as well. I love going to races.

11. Jorg_Sacul_from_C3

Jan 26, 2004
    It's ridiculous how big that track is in person. I remember the first time I went to time trials, we walked around the infield about three times.. and then wondered why we were so blinkin' tired. It is one of those things, though, if you can get to you ought to, like the Kentucky Derby. I've never been, but I want to go at least one time.

Here's a real "Hoosier" question-- can people go up in the Arch? I always thought that'd be pretty cool.

12. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    The track is insanely huge! Road Squadron took a trip out there to get some pics taken before we got parked at C3, and an overheard comment was "so, like, where's the track?" They didn't realize that we drove under it to get into the infield area. Also, since we were just in one little corner we were all just like WOW. [face_hypnotized]

And, as far as I know, you can still go up into the Arch for a lookie-loo. I just don't know how much it costs anymore. I haven't been there in 20 years. (wow I feel old now)

13. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    You can still go up into the Arch. It costs $10 per adult.

I have been the Kentucky Derby. What an experience. I would love to go again someday.

14. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    The Arch is great to go up in. It is usually crowded, but worth it. They have a great museum too. The Westward Expansion I believe.

Scott,
    We totally need to go to a stock car dirt track race as a group. People watching alone is worth it. Or they used to have demolition derby in Lebanon, Il. Not far from here. We used to go all the time when I was little. We used to go to the drag races too as kids. Mom used to stuff our ears with cottonballs. I am suprised our ears aren't damaged. LOL!

Leash

15. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    We've got a dirt track not too far from my house that is really popular in the spring, summer and early fall. (*insert Jeffco joke here*) You can hear the cars at my house on those Saturday nights that they are running if it's a clear evening.

Don't feel bad, mirax80. I've lived here for most of my life (sans the years 2001-2004) and I haven't been up the arch in a good 15 years. I think that us locals usually only go up on school trips, scout trips, and when we have out of town guests in. It's a shame, too - it's a great view! (Even if I'm not fond of the elevator eggs that you have to ride up!)

16. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    ohhh, stock car races! I haven't been to one since I graduated high school (it was the only night life offered in my town, lol). :D

17. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Hey, a year or so ago I tossed in the idea of going to a race as a group, but nothing really came of it... Maybe this summer something can happen. :)

Two tracks I know of that have Sat. Night races:

I-55 Raceway
    Tri-City Speedway

I have been to both of these tracks, and I love them. Great fun! I like I-55 better, you're closer to the action, and I prefer the track more. Plus, I know the drivers there better.

18. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Well, I am up to going. I always enjoyed them, of course I knew most of the drivers so it was more personal. I say lets give it try. :D

19. mirax80

mirax80 Retired Midwest RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Dude! That was like the coolest part! I remember telling my parents we were like in a Star Trek movie!

20. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Hello, Indianapolis! And your famous Sacul :).

Yeah, the Arch can be a blast, esp. if you can make it up there when the crowds are low. The elevator ride is tamed down now (grrr); I guess enough people complained. Go on a windy day, and have fun swaying back and forth! :D (People do freak out, so if you're a people-watcher, that's a bonus :p ).

21. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    I-55 Raceway is about 5 miles at most from my house. I do have to admit that I've never been there, though!

Tell you what, we'll host a summer meeting and ya'll can come down and we'll hit the track. If we buy the house that we're about 85% sure that we are, then we'll have a bonfire afterwards. (The house is just a mile from ours that we have now, but is in an unincorporated area which means that anything goes - fireworks, bonfires, leaf burning, you name it.)

Also, the house is on a dead end street that butts up to a farm, so we wouldn't even have to worry about the neighbors!

(Look at me, we haven't even closed yet, and I'm already inviting people over!)

22. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Danielle, that sounds like fun. Hope you get that house.
    But, I am totally up for a group meeting or just group gathering at the stock car races or demolition derby as long as it isn't July. But I think we are safe for July as that is the month Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Dead Man's chest comes out. And we had briefly discussed at Dec. meeting making that July's meeting. Yay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.