main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *** Hello, I must be going... ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Four years ago, I met a group of strangers in a coffee shop and we began to plot our lining up for Star Wars Episode One. The line was exhillirating and the line was exhausting and when all was said and done we turned to one another and said "never, ever again. No more lineups for us. However next time it will be so much better if we..."

And so we kept going out to movies together. We kept getting together at people's homes. We kept meeting together at conventions. And here we are, four years, dozens of cons and one lineup later and we're still having get togethers and gatherings and conventions and we're just as likely to lineup for the third film.

When I stepped into this four years ago, the intention was to kibitz. To throw my two cents in and offer a bit of unsolicited advice and then take a hands off approach.

Somehow I found myself in a very hands-on position. Along the way I've landed in the role of a lineup ad-hoc committee member, and a moderator and now a City Rep.

I've always viewed the Toronto Line as a giant, ongoing party. The doors always open and everyone's invited. My role has been that of host. I'm here to offer the invites, make sure that there's plenty of appetizers and that everyone's enjoying themselves. I'm the guy that sweeps the floors when everyone's gone and runs out to the store when we're low on drinks.

Actually - that's not completely accurate. Because at every step and turn along the way, you've all been there to assist me. If there was a floor to be sweeped, you guys made the offer to help me do it, or swept it before I even had a chance to do so. If I made a run out to the store for drinks, it wasn't without cash donations from all and an offer for a ride.

Really, you, my friends, have made my life as City Rep. very easy. I've long felt that my role as City Rep. is not to tell you guys what to do - that enlightened self-intrest would take care of that - but that I was here to help facilitate whatever it is you guys chose to do. Time and time again, you've proven me right. Thank you everyone.

I'm proud to be a part of this group and proud that you've permitted me to the opportunity to be 'Tragic Dad' of the group for all these years.

But my spare time, as of late, has been scarce, and it will be an even more rare commodity in the months to come. It wouldn't be right for me to hang on to the title of City Rep. if I'm unable to physically fulfill the role. With the deepest regrets, as of March 1st, I'll no longer be City Rep. for Toronto. Time for me to take a step back and go with my original intentions. To kibitz, throw my two cents in and offer a bit of unsolicited advice from time to time. ;)

Current policy from the Powers That Be is that FanForce groups are to have only one City Rep.. So when I step down, David will be the sole Rep for Toronto. Let's give him all the support we can, cuz it can be overwhelming even when there were two of us, let alone just one. Remember - this is your group. What the Toronto Line is, and what we accomplish is completely up to you. You only get out of this group what you bring to it. So if there's an event you want to see happen - find out the nitty gritty details and give David a buzz.

This isn't goodbye forever. I'm still going to be coming to the events - it will just be an event that someone else has planned. And I'll still be on the forums - just not as frequently.

I'll do anything you say,
    In fact, I'll even stay,
    But, I must be going.

2. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Tragic, I heardly knew thee... alright, that sounds pathatic, yet it's the truth.

I really wish you didn't have to leave. You were an amazing CityRep and will be truly missed.

I hope all goes alright outside of this group! You Will be Missed!

Have a great outside life ;) :p

3. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I met Rob about 4 years ago around this time and over the 4 years that I have known him we have had alot of good times together. I can say without any question that Rob is one if not the finest human beings that I have ever met. He is a honest and humble hardworking soul. I have never seen him mad or get upset at anyone unlike yours truly that has a fiery temper. He has always been a positive influence on the younger members in Toronto and they have always looked up to him as I do. Rob, I do not have the words to tell you how much you are admired by everyone here in Toronto and the unity that you have created. All the best to you young man and many years of happiness as you take on your next big role of being a dad.

Sincerely yours,

Mike

4. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Tragic;

"I shall pass the Autobot matrix of leadership, as it was passed to me..."

Poobah;

"But Rob, I'm just a web designer. I'm not worthy."

Tragic;

"Nor was I, but one day, a Toronto Mod will rise among our ranks, and use the power of the matrix, to promote the entire Star Wars saga on Dvd-"

*Opens chest to reveal the Autobot Matrix*

Tragic (Cont.)

"-Until the day, when all are on disc..."

*Passes Matrix to Dave*

;)

All joking aside folks, this isn't a time for sadness. Rob I'm happy for you. Your life is in better focus, you've found true love and purpose, and your to be a father!

You've lived and learned and helped form a diversity community that allowed many wonderful events to proceed from its result.

Dude, you are a leader among turbulent times. Just remember Episode 3 will still need you, if just from the side lines.

Best of luck and happiness to you and your family.

And remember;

WILLIAM.

Good name for a boy. Trust me!

Oh, and if you can arrange some "social setting" again in the future with the Smores...umm, don't be a stranger...

;)

5. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    I met Tragic, around a year ago, I had been lurkinh a little, mostly staying in the FanFic boards, when I saw this topic about going to see Iceage. I wanted to see this movie so I said why not go with people I dont know, have supper with the same people, maybe get to know them and make new friends, in opposed to going to see it alone, coming home to frozen pizza. Well I went, I walked into the grande foodcourt with a mental picture of Tragic in mind. I zoomed in on the guy wearing a starwars tie, and he matched perfectly what I thought he would look like. I sat with Tragic, Kenobi, and i think her name was Tara. we talked, and tragic has this way of making you feel welcome, like an old friend returning. Ken was the same way, I said this before, that I felt like I was among friends right away. and have felt that way ever since. TragicLad is a Hero. He is larger then life, and ten times as nice. He got out of his experience with the line as much as he gives to everyone elses experience, then he truly is a lucky man. Finding a person to share a life these days is hard, especially one who shares a love you have for something. Tragic and Mrs Tragic, You both have shown me that there is hope for love in the world. Yeah Im getting mushy but oh well. You two are good friends in my book even though we have only been around each other a hand full of times, but it feels like many years not just one year. You welcomed me into your home, treated me like a dear friend. You will always have my friendship. I know tragic, you maybe not around as much but you will be around, maybe pushing a stroller in Ep3 line but TragicDad will be there for us, if need arises, I say with all respect, I wish you joy, happyness and may you never change, except to get better. Good luck my friend
    -Dan

6. DARTH2-D2

Feb 9, 2002
    ok well i just did some digging and it was March 16th I met tragic in person.

Also I would like to Repost a little bit of tragic prose from the past. pre-iceage gathering:

Presenting....
    Deep Thoughts - by Tragic Lad

When riding the escalator of life, don't let your shoelace get caught between the steps.

7. The_Lady_THX

The_Lady_THX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    :) Everyone seems to be posting memories of Tragic when they first met, and how nice he was. I guess I can share mine.

It was just after my friend had me sign up for this place because of some really funny fanfiction that I ventured this way. Before there was the Niagara forum, and it was just the Ontario General forum. I posted asking about if anyone was in this area, and two people got back to me on that post. One of them was Tragic.

We chatted and I found out he lived in Grimsby while he was growing up and went to the same high school as I did.

He's always been a very nice guy, I met him at his place the first time at the Games night in October of 2001. Opening his home to some people who he'd only talked to online a few times.

Congradulations and good luck in your future Tragic, and Mrs. Tragic, you two are very special people!

Milo

8. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Sorry to see you are stepping down Rob, but I know we will see you in the future just the same. :)

All the best to you and your family!!! [face_love]

Keep in touch!!

9. Darth_Surly

Darth_Surly Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Thanks for everything, Tragic and "Mrs Tragic". We were fortunate to have you as CR as long as we did! Best wishes to both of you & may the force be with you. (Someone had to say it!)

Good luck David, I am confident you'll continue to do us long liners proud.

10. Jedi_Padawan_Padme

Jedi_Padawan_Padme Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 20, 2001
    Well, as far as I can remember, the first time I met Tragic in person was at the hockey game and playdium thing in February of 2002. I didn't really get to talk to him, but all I remember was that he was really nice (and I'll always remember the dressy clothes!!! lol. I actually thought that was quite weird that he was wearing dressy clothes while playing hockey outside).

Yeah...that's it.

11. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    (blush)
    Aw shucks....
    Thanks everyone.
    (/blush)

12. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    [dripping tears of mixed joy and sadness]

From TragicLad to TragicDad... :*

When I first encountered the good Lad and his lady, It was at my first T-trek ever, I had a much large room, and since we'd agreed to have a FanForce Room Party, they stayed, 'till it was just too late for them to go home.

They stayed, we talked, they slept, I went down to help for the McD's charity.

That was the first ever encountered TragicLad.

He was a very good person then, and seemed a very good person the last time I saw him in Toronto last year.

I hope that we will keep on meeting at the occasional T-Treks, and that I will have more occasions in the future to see future TragicDad, as I might be coming down to Toronto not so long from now for business.

[/dripping tears of mixed joy and sadness]

and on a personal note, you know I'm really jeaulous of you two :D

I love you Mr and Mrs RealTragicLad ;)

13. DARTH2-D2

Feb 9, 2002
    can you feel the love

14. Dain_Bramage

Dain_Bramage Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Tragic,

Thanks for all you've done for this board. My deepest gratitude for your effort and work in the Long Line.

15. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

Sorry Tragic, I just found this thread now...

You've helped to build an institution that brought me great joy, and many friends.

You have the most class and honour of any man I've ever met.

You're a great host, and always generous.

I wish you all the best in the years to come- from your actions here, I know you can't fail.

Thanks for everything
    Jake

16. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Tragic,

It gonna be sad to see you go, but I do hope you visit when you can. Thanks for all the great events!

Sabrina

17. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

Tragic,

when i first heard about these boards, i had no idea what i'd find...i found a world i never knew existed, its like stepping into a magical place where everyone finally belongs.

You were one of the people who helped make this group, this family, this world and for that words can never describe how grateful i am. Friends are the family you choose. i think i have the best family ever for i know i have the best friends i could ever dream of, more than i ever expected or even remotely could think i deserve.

i know that you and mrs.Tragic are going to be the greatest parents ever, of that i have no doubt and i hope that you are happier each day that passes than ever before.

remember that if you guys ever need a babysitter i'm always here, i mean that!!!

take much care

-gratefully always:

-Christina

18. SandwichBoy

SandwichBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    Oh my god people...the guy doesn't have terminal cancer...hell, he ain't even leaving for good! All he's doing is stepping down as City rep and going back to being an irregularly posting forum member. No reason to panic, he ain't going anywhere...

Back when he got married, I informed him that if he and Tracy tried to drop off the face of the Earth never to be seen again, I would hunt them both down and drag them kicking and screaming to the next gathering. *looks at Rob* Don't make me follow through with that, you know I will.

19. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    No harm in letting someone know how much they mean to them, something that is usually not said often enough. If this thread offers the occasion, then what the heck is wrong with that?

Tragic deserves all the praise he gets. He has shaped, guided and lead this group through two line ups, and countless events, opened his home on many occasions. He brings people together - it's what he does - and always makes them feel welcome.

All the best to you and Mrs. Tragic, and little Tragic Lad or Lass.

20. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I agree Adam, Everyone is giving Rob the praise and respect that he deserves...

21. SandwichBoy

SandwichBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    hey I got no problem with giving the guy praise, which i agree you deserve ya big lug, but half the post here sound like goodbyes...that just puzzles me.

22. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    No, no.

Sandwhich is right. Tragic isn`t leaving us, he`s simply taking an extended leave of absense. A sabatical so to speak so that he can prepare for the greater, more demanding changes ahead.

A moment we all face in our lives. A moment of truth. We should all be wise to follow from Tragic`s example and-

I DON`T BELIEVE THIS!!!!

TRAGIC DON`T LEAVE US!!!!!

*Bawls his eyes out amid whining sobs for injustice*

:p

23. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Sorry, misinterpreted I did.

24. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

I understand what you're saying guys. But for me, it could be a good bye. Don't know if I'll ever be able to make another Toronto LL gathering, as I'm in London, and if I do, Tragic might not even be there.

Sorry, I can get very emotional sometimes. :p

Singing: "Memories....."

;)

25. DARTH2-D2

Feb 9, 2002
    Its ok Jake we will always have Toronto Trek

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.