main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hi Hello there.

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by afterlight, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afterlight

afterlight Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2019
    Hi folks,

I'm really excited to join the conversation here. I was an intermittent lurker here for years but never thought to sign myself up until the last day or so. I'm mostly a classic trilogy fan but make little forays into other areas of the fandom as well. I'm looking forward to meeting some great people!

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    WELCOME!!! So it was you lurking all this time!? LOL I kid, many do lurk. I am guessing if you have been lurking you know your way around, but if not, by all means just ask. We are all here to help you and guide you. Classic Trilogy fan, nice. I was there, but now I am showing my age ;) As for meeting great people, you are so in the right place!! ;)

3. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Welcome @afterlight! I hope you enjoy it here. If you have any questions, just ask.

Also, if you'd like to volunteer to be interviewed, contact @Khalia Octa!

4. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I love hearing from people who got to see the original theatrical runs - I’m active in an IRL fan group with folks who were there in 1977 so I’ve gotten to experience some vicarious excitement that way. This has always seemed like a really friendly community and I’m so glad I finally signed up.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  5. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019

Thank you! I’ll be sure to ping her. :)

6. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Be careful of the double-posts (DPs). There's a link that says +Quote at the bottom of each quote. That allows you to insert multiple quotes in the same post.

7. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Thanks for the heads-up! I’ve been struggling a bit with the formatting here — it’s been at least a decade since I posted to a forum of this type so it feels a bit like learning to ride a bike again.

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Wanders in with her Mod hat on and looks around...........sees no double posts and is content, leaves. ;)

9. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    Hello! Are you a fan of the novels or comics as well as the films?

10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Welcome aboard, @afterlight! Nice choice of name and avatar:)

afterlight likes this.
  11. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Hi! I’m actually embarrassingly picky about novels. [face_laugh] I like scattered elements of the old post-ROTJ EU but wasn’t big on some of the narrative choices, so I actually read very little of it. I’m thinking about those stories for a test drive, though since I’d like to write fanfic someday and seeing how the Big Three do or don’t translate to the page might be helpful with that.

I have a pretty good relationship with the comics, though, and I absolutely love the Poe Dameron comic. The art is gorgeous and the writers seem to have managed the rare and difficult balance that is knowing when to reveal some strange new corner of the GFFA and when to leave something to the reader’s imagination.

Thank you! I like your user name and avi as well. Is your name a Boards of Canada reference by any chance, or a reference to the figure of speech?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @afterlight Thanks. Glad you like my avi and username, which is a reference to the figure of speech that has always been one of my favorites:)

afterlight likes this.
  13. Kyber Acyk

Kyber Acyk Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2017
    Hello there @afterlight and welcome to the forums - I hope you will enjoy it here :)

afterlight likes this.
  14. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Thank you! I’m having a wonderful time here.

AllTheSingleMaras likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    afterlight likes this.
  16. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    Awwwww! The newbie is so cute! And I love that you are a fan of the originals! SAME. I ventured into the AU a long time ago, because I wanted more stories with the OT heroes.

I don’t know if you’ve given The Thrawn Trilogy a shot...Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command... but I love that it feels like a seamless continuation. Still had the fun and charm, balanced with heavy drama.
    I’m kinda a Mara Jade fan. If yah couldn’t tell;).

I look forward to getting to know yah!

17. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Thank you! Your avatar makes me laugh and fills me with terror. KFC's marketing strategy is wild.

18. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Thank you! :D I'm looking forward to getting to know you, too. I want more stories with the original heroes as well. I'd like to try my hand some post-ROTJ era fanfic someday, but I was always better at nonfiction writing than fiction.

I read the first two Thrawn Trilogy books back when I was a kid -- I bought Heir To The Empire from a Books-A-Million that was closing back when I was in seventh grade or so and toted the battered paperback around for years and years. I only got rid of it during my last move when it finally became too water-damaged to justify keeping anymore. I need to pick them back up again and finish them out. I remember being really weirdly fascinated by Pellaeon's character and enjoying the political trajectory for the GFFA they established. I miss that old-school cover art, too.

I'm looking forward to getting you know you, too! :D

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @afterlight Welcome aboard. We generally discourage multiple consecutive posts. However, if you need to add content to an original post (within 1 hour of the original post) there is an edit feature at the bottom of the post.

20. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
  21. afterlight

Nov 4, 2019
    Curses, I forgot again! Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

Hello to you, too! :D

Bazinga'd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.