main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Helmets: Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Sarge, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    One of the things we've been complaining about is that the writers have never given us a reason for CotW always wearing their helmets. Since it doesn't look like we'll get an official answer anytime soon, I thought we might do some speculating and try to explain it in a reasonable way. So let's hear some ideas, no matter how outlandish they are, and try to come up with something sort of believable, at least SW believable, anyway.

Here are some concepts that have occurred to me, in no particular order.

1. At one time, Mandalorians lived in a hostile environment like space or a toxic atmosphere where getting caught without a helmet would likely lead to an unpleasant and dishonorable death. Perhaps some of them died when their habitat was unexpectedly broached by a random meteorite, or an attack, and it became customary to keep their helmets on whenever possible. Custom became tradition became law.

2. In the play Fidder on the Roof, one of the persecuted Russian Jews laments that they must always be prepared to leave their homes and move on at a moment's notice, and he says, "Perhaps that is why we always wear our hats." In Mandalorian terms, perhaps they feel that they should always be prepared for battle at a moment's notice, and thus should never be caught with their pants down helmets off.

3. We've seen multiple instances of Mandalorians fighting duels, sometimes reluctantly, because they are compelled by their creed or code or sense of honor. Perhaps at one time such duels were so common and so deadly that they felt the need to give themselves an out which did not require a battle to the death at the first glimpse of an adversary. Perhaps it became accepted that if they had helmets on and couldn't see their face, it would be excusable to pass by them in the street without demanding that they duel to the death for some obscure slight committed by an ancestor 4 generations ago. Wearing helmets reduced unnecessary deaths and became customary, then tradition, then law.

That's what I've come up with off the top of my head. (Ha!) Anybody have anything better or different?

2. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Those are interesting reasons, but cultural practices don't need to be rational. Why do people wear American flag clothes? To protect themselves physically? Because their ancestors did?

The main reason such practices become regular or dogmatic is usually because they represent, even socially construct, identity.

Cultural identities don't exist independently in nature, so they must be performed regularly. To be Mandalorian means to wear that helmet often.

Wearing it more often, or constantly, suggests an unstable identity that must be rigidly performed to provide a stable sense of it. This makes sense with the Covert since their culture has been destroyed and they were exiled from their planet.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Agreed. But the writers haven't even given us any irrational reasons. Which I find frustrating enough that I'm willing to look to the JCC for answers. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I prefer to think that some ancient Mandalorians occasionally wore their helmets for only obnoxiously long periods of time before taking them off - that a mix of pragmatism and necessity sometimes led to them wearing them for weeks, months, or even years at a time.

And at other times, given how their culture merges tribal customs and pseudo-archaic traditionalism, perhaps some warriors swore oaths to not remove their helmets until a promise had been accomplished, and removed upon its completion.

Now, I know that we’re supposed to like the Children of the Watch, and see them as an ancient Creed and such, and that it’s likely I’m about to “demand” too much negative reading into them…

…But I really like to think that The Children of the Watch refuse to ever remove theirs out of over-compensation, denial, and guilt, rather than some ancient orthodox practice - that they’ve sort of deluded themselves into glorifying a “Hollywood History” take on what was an occasional practice to an extent that ancient Mandalorians would find troublingly perplexing at best and a harmful, in some ways “heretical” weakness at worst.

I like the idea that, being born out the collection of extremists, posers, and reactionary zealots in Death Watch, the Children of the Watch represent a repressive backlash to the New Mandalorians forsaking their armor. That they emerges from Mandalorians so insecure in their identity, so anti-intellectual and arrogant, that they started refusing to take their helmets off among their Death Watch brothers as a sort of display of their “Über-Mandalorian-ness” using ancient tales of occasional pledges to do so in direct contrast to the New Mandalroians they believed they could murder, maim, and brainwash at liberty. They then became the core of Maul’s supporters based off a similar obsession with proving themselves the “most Mandalorian”…

…And then following that path leads to Mandalore being occupied by a superior military force and their own betrayal by their master, humiliating them and their idea of being the ultimate warriors. This then shatters some of their illusions and humbles them… which leads to them mellowing out in some ways as they learn to accept they aren’t the top of the food chain, but also increases their fanaticism about helmets as a constantly visible sign of their identity, since they’ve forsaken so much else out of insecurity . Mandalore’s destruction only tightens that resolve.

So… I’d prefer it if the COTW emerged from posers trying to be cool and “old-school,” then it gradually became an actually devout display of their faith - albeit one that they’re ultimately wrong about as they are with a lot of stuff.

Because the COTW are boring if I have to pretend they’re in the right and not a seriously flawed organization.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  5. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    I have been assuming that it's something close to Sarge's number 2 - their status as warriors is so intrinsic to their cultural identity that they must always be wearing their armour and prepared for battle.

Additionally, the most obvious visual identifying feature of a person is their face - by covering their face with a symbol of their warrior culture they give over their individuality in favour of being part of the collective.

I do really like godisawesome's thoughtful take as well though.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
  6. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I know it's probably not canon, but I like the idea of the original Mandos having come from a variety of different plants and species, so the helmet brought them all together under one nationalizing symbol.

Crushing diversity for patriotism -- that's how you build an identity from a multicultural society.

7. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Everyone is equal in front of the Creed.
    It doesn't matter the color of your skin, your eyes, your hair or your race.

By wearing the helmet you hide all your contingent traits and you are only recognized as a member of the Creed.

The helmet is equality.

Fin McCool, Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We have seen multiple instances of the Creed recited at the moment a helmet is adorned "once and for all", with the overarching theme of the Creed being that their identity from that point forward is Mandalorian. It is about individual identity being superceded by the larger group identity.

Paz's speech when agreeing to help Din and Bo Katan explicitly states this. Regardless of his feelings on the individuals involved, he will help them. "Why? Because we are Mandalorian".

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Because helmets are cooler and generally better actors than extras.

10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I would love to see that contrasted with other Mandalorians who are less insecure about what it means to be a Mandalorian - like either a clan member who merely put on their armor but doesn't need to always wear it, or a New Mandalorian or Protector who is the same way.

There's some fascinating and mature stories that should be done about how a cultural identity defined by its warrior subculture would clash with the same cultural identity shared by someone who can claim more of the overall culture instead - like, contrasting a New Mandalorian who speaks the language, cooks the food, learned the history and politics of the Mandos and who make sits art meeting Din Djarin, who only knows the weapon-based faith.

That would also put more connotations on the Children of the Watch covering their faces - sort of like they're denying that other stuff counts and that the only thing that matters about Mandalorians is being warriors... which again would have a certain sinister side to it that would be great for storytelling and giving us back antagonistic Mandos (who I miss).

On a different note...
    I think the different paint jobs portray a bit of a struggle between a cultural worship of subsuming an individual identity into one, monolithic warrior culture, but also contradicting that with the individualism of paint jobs and customized armor because warriors seek personal glory.

Everyone starts the same, and is reduced to the same warrior base - but afterwards, you're pushed to stand out and make a name for yourself within that framework.

You WILL be a warrior to the Children of the Watch, and only their TYPE of warrior... but a warrior who wins no glory is a bit of a loser among this subculture.

Sarge and 3sm1r like this.
  11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    no one posted it yet? Fine, i'll do it.

[​IMG]

12. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    That's more or less what I've assumed. The CotW consider themselves to be the hardest of the hardcore, the most badass of all Mandalorians. Taking one's helmet off is to open yourself up to vulnerability and weakness. My guess is that long ago the people that formed the CotW were brutalized and therefore they made the decision to always be protected at all times. I'm not sure why we didn't have a character like the Armorer give a quick throwaway line like that to clear it up. Just have the Armorer say, "long ago our people were attacked and nearly wiped out of existence. Since then we have made a vow to never allow ourselves to be so vulnerable again. This is the way."

Lulu Mars, rocknroll41 and Sarge like this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    iirc, part of the old Legends lore was that Mandalorians were a multi-species nomadic warrior culture that accumulated new members by assimilating survivors from defeated worlds. The act of making one’s (unique) armor and helmet was a process of cultural assimilation, the old self was gone and now they are a Mandalorian, entirely subsumed into their new identity.

This dynamic is kind of still in play as we see in the show, but it gets watered down by everything feeling small. CotW aren’t a warrior culture, they’re just a cult.

Mandalore464 likes this.
  14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    denying one's individuality can't be a reason since they all customise their helmets. it does prevent the obvious facial expressions tho.

Sarge likes this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Tech inside the helmet might also be a reason - could be their version of a smartphone.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Talk about face time!

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It doesn’t have to be complete denial of individuality. The point could simply be that the collective is much more important than the individual. But they’re not droids, and so they give some leeway when it comes to colors and such.

And for the record, episode 3 of season 3 does give a little bit of insight on the helmet thing. Bo asks Din if the covert still lives by “the old ways.” And Din says yes and so it’s better that she keep her helmet on. That confirms that it’s at least a return to an old cultural practice vs. a recent cultish expression of identity. So…yeah. In some olden days, Mandos always wore their helmets in front of each other. We still don’t know exactly why, but that’s something.

18. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    One thing does not exclude the other.
    Once you take part in the Creed as Mandalorian, and you have given up your previous identity as a commoner, you can put something of your own into the new community by forging your own Mandalorian identity, as if you were reborn as a son of Mandalore.

LedReader, Riv_Shiel, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  19. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    To quote Boba Fett, while wearing his iconic armour in an old comic.

"This is my face".

There's all sorts of symbols associated with mask wearing (e.g., animals, colours, shape) that give identity as well as take identity away. Look at Bo-Katan's in comparison to Paz's. There's also functionality of helmets (protection, tech) which the Mando armour undoubtedly adds. Combined, they portray a warrior on constant readiness (even appearing awake at all times - remember that Mando episode with the other bounty hunter?).

I think the non-canon harsh environment and nomadism/crusaders of the Mandalorians could potentially still be retained in the CotW in their insistence on wearing the helmet. More significantly, thought, the mask is meant to be both their individual and cultural identity.

To change the mask by revealing your face represents a "lesser" form of cultural and identity capital in the CotW's eyes. Whereas - I guess - changing the mask/helmet through ceremony and forging is perceived as more honourable.

20. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I guess I'm looking at it from the stoicism angle, the helmet increases that. maybe there's something in their culture about not showing emotion.

Sarge likes this.
  21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    It's the thing I have the most dislike for in the series, for married couples to never see their partners face is just bizarre or if they're in the confined space they can't eat or drink... It's not an unusual thing for religion to put a demand on people as we know with our own world, I just don't think I'll ever agree with it.

godisawesome likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    OK, but why do we want Star Wars characters and cultures to be…normal? Like, suburban normal?

Pro Scoundrel and Riv_Shiel like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I wonder if there's an exception for married couples. It could be like nudity, acceptable in private, but not in public.

StoneRiver, Lulu Mars and Bor Mullet like this.
  24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I was willing to buy into the idea that a cult of Mandos would keep their helmets on to protect their identities during the reign of the Empire. But factoring in a post-Imperial galaxy and the introduction of Bo-Katan in season 2 seemed to indicate things would sway in the other direction. And most crucially, Din's decisions to remove it for Grogu's sake (both in The Believer and The Rescue) underscored the two most personal and dramatic moments of the entire series.

And now Din's continued investment in keeping his helmet on and the need for "redemption" just rings completely hollow (beyond the practical concerns for Pedro Pascal's availability in The Book of Boba Fett and season 3). I now suspect only after the Mandos have gazed upon the mythosaur in season 4 (or Filoni's film), will they all remove their helmets due to this MacGuffin, rather than a true moment of collective emotional and societal growth.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Nope. No exceptions.

But…what happens in helmets stays in helmets.

Lulu Mars likes this.