main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Hera

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Why_So_Serious, Feb 20, 2014.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like the idea of her being a "mother hen," especially if she's also a smartass. I hope to see her giving a listening ear, but also telling a complaining Sabine and Ezra something along the lines of "Now get your ass out of the bed, we've got an Empire to fight."

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Has Filoni confirmed or denied that she's related to Cham? I know he came out and denied Sabine being of any relation to Satine, but last interview I heard with Filoni, he was merely being coy and commenting that people are making a lot of assumptions based on Hera's last name.

I kind of hope she's not his kid. With how much of a butt kisser Orn Free Taa was, I can't imagine Palpatine enslaving his planet, unless something happened since ROTS that gets proper exposition and fits into why Hera is rebelling. I'd rather see them build off something like the Kadavo arc, where we know Sidious was trying to build a network to gain access to slaves, and that either she was taken during a Zygerrian raid under orders from the Empire, with Hera learning the truth that the Empire has betrayed Ryloth, while others are reluctant to see their government as responsible. In which case Hera might take the Syndulla surname as a symbolic gesture that she's fighting for the freedom of Ryloth as Cham had.

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    TaradosGon even if Ryloth isn't oppressed like other worlds, there could still be a Twi'lek who knows what the Empire is doing elsewhere and rebels.

4. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

Back when Filoni discussed the Onderon arc, it was kind of laying the groundwork for the notion that there are a bunch of independent cells on various worlds that rebel, but don't actually unify and become an alliance until later on.

I really don't care to see Hera be the person on a world that is treated fine by the Empire, but is just so compassionate that she's going to take up the cause and fight for the injustices of someone else. Of course she will, because she's on a ship with an ex-Jedi, a kid from Lothal, a Mandalorian, and a whatever Zeb is from wherever Zeb is from. So they are kind like a rebel alliance microcosm unto themselves. But when it comes to the reasons that these people took up the fight against the Empire in the first place, it has consistently been said that they all have very personal reasons for doing so. Thus, I would think that Hera has experienced/seen something first hand that impacted her directly that drove her to take up arms and fight the behemoth. Rather than her deciding to fight because of poor Wookiees or because the factory workers on Lothal have to meet insane quotas.

Jedi Knight Fett and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    TaradosGon I wasn't saying it had to be your preference, a Twi'lek wouldn't have been my preference either for other reasons, I was just pointing out that she could be from a world that is not oppressed by the Empire and still be a Rebel. In the original Star Wars film I get the feeling that before it was blown up Alderaan was not oppressed since they seemed to still have representation in the Senate and it seemed to be portrayed as a new development in the universe that someone of Leia's stature would be captured by the Empire.

Tan-Wessel and darklordoftech like this.
  6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Dark Lord Tarkas

I get the impression that things will be different by the time of ANH.

Filoni has teased with questions like whether or not the Rebels are yet part of an alliance. And while they very well may be, I'm assuming they are not. Or not yet anyway. Filoni wouldn't offer a straight answer, but I believe Greg Weisman said that Rebels will end "when the Rebel Alliance is" per an interview with IGN.

And it's been said that the Ghost's crew all have very personal reasons for hating the Empire.

People like Mon Mothma and Bail (and probably Leia via being raised by Bail) are political idealists. In the ROTS cut scenes they are trying to organize a movement against Palpatine to preserve democracy and the senate as a viable institution as Mon Mothma remarks that it essentially no longer exists as a practical matter. These are all very impersonal reasons. Just political ideals.

And while such figures obviously do end up being involved in the Rebel Alliance by the time of ANH, the Rebel Alliance doesn't seem like it exists yet, and I'm not sure that Bail, Mon Mothma, etc. will be involved with the Ghost's crew in any way, at least in the beginning.

I get the impression that this is just a small group of people that have suffered personally at the hands of the Empire that have all fallen in together and have decided to oppose the Empire. The political idealists with the money that end up funding the Rebel Alliance and giving them money to procure starfighters etc, I do not believed these folks are in the picture yet. Or at least they might still be doing their own thing in the senate (which it doesn't seem like we will see) and have not decided to band with the rebel cells scattered throughout the galaxy as of 5 BBY.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  7. HumanTwi'lek

HumanTwi'lek Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2014
    I think Hera is going to be a great character in this new series. I love the fact that her character isn't going to be the stereotypically sexy female Twi'lek and that she is fully clothed in a baggy flight suit with goggles on her head (she looks kind of cute with goggles on her head). And just like previous Star Wars heroines, such as Leia, Padme, and Ahsoka, she is strong-willed and independent and is obviously not interested in being glamorous, not that she isn't, but it's just not a huge priority for her now and that the only thing that matters to her is fighting for the freedom of her homeworld and the galaxy from the Empire and protecting the people that she loves and cares about, including the crew members of the Ghost. Despite all of this, I love the fact that they at least still made her look beautiful, attractive, and alluring in some way (I kind of have a little crush on her, but don't tell Kanan that, because he might get jealous) (Laughs). And considering her warm and nurturing personality, I think she would make a great mother-like figure to the team, especially Ezra since he has no parents, as well as a great love interest for Kanan who would comfort him for support in these dark times for being a Jedi on the run. I guess the best and kindest way to describe Hera's character is that she would be a "beautiful, green angel", because not only do I consider her a rare beauty among other female Twi'leks, but she would also be kind and caring towards others and would be willing to help.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The idea there is many rebels basically they're essentially their fighting for different reasons, loaded with everything probably from pirates, anarchists, political idealists, separatists to the Empire they're just guerrillas, terrorists and insurgents . All these types are fighting to rid themselves of the Imperial yoke, which basically still the Republic, but now the Republic has a standing army and can now invade any planet that does not accept their authority or attempts to succeed from the republic. They appear to be dismantling every nations or world's military that does not concept into their war machine. So each planet is losing its own protective army, guess sorta like Bespin once Vader arrived and independence was lost. But all these various pockets of unrelated rebels , they're not part of the unified Rebel Alliance which is unified movement under one leader (Mothma) with various military commanders which does not exist yet or if it does is in the infancy state.

9. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I really like Hera as a character. She's has a motherly nature; which is nice. I think that it really helps the Ghost crew when things are tough and their feeling down. That being said, she's also an amazing pilot.

Also; as I saw in the Rebels thread. From The NYCC.

She's Cham Syndulla's niece. That's pretty interesting.

anakinfansince1983 and Cevan like this.
  10. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I really wonder if this will tie in to Lords of the Sith at all, since we know that Cham and a band of Twi'leks are in the novel. I'd love it if the reason Hera rebels against the Empire is because they're killed by Vader.

11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Yeah. That would be really good. Hopefully we do get to see some type of tie in with Lords Of The Sith. Still, I wouldn't mind a comic about her after Kanan's.

Do you think she remembers the Clone Army and the Jedi coming to Ryloth?

Cevan likes this.
  12. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Well she was born in 29 BBY, so she would be...*does math*...seven. So probably, yeah. We know she hasn't seen Jedi in the flesh before Kanan though.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  13. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    It would be interesting if we heard her mention the time ' A bunch of Clone Troopers kicked the seppies off Ryloth'.

I wonder if she still has any family left alive?

14. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    It's very possible. Hera is 24 by the time of Rebels. The Battle of Ryloth took place about 16 or so years before Rebels, so Hera would've been about 8 years old then.

Edit: Darn you Kablob and your ninja math skills.

15. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1 and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  16. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Do you think Ezra or Sabine will ever accidentally call Hera mom? Because that would be adorably funny.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There's TCW connection that people were asking for.

I'm suspecting, and have suspected, that Hera started her rebellion because the Empire killed her family.

18. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    That would be a sad reason. But also a likely one too. I wonder if that's why she feels like she has to mother people though? Do you think she was married before and had kids?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm assuming that's just her personality. Some people are born maternal.

Cevan likes this.
  20. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Nah, in A New Dawn she was 18. Too young.

21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Good point. She could have been an aunt though. Unless she was the oldest or didn't have any siblings.

22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
  23. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    NOTE: That interview gives a synopsis for Rise of the Old Masters, and mentions that spoiler.

So if you don't want to know why there's six pages of spoiler-tagged posts in the Luminara thread, skip over that section.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    What I find interesting is that apparently Cham Syndulla is Hera's uncle.

And it just so happens that he features in Lords of the Sith. Well, that does explain why she hates the Empire, doesn't it?

25. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    It probably helps yes. I guess it will depend of what happens to her Uncle in Lords of The Sith.

I'm hoping we get a backstory comic on her like we are getting for Kanan though. Maybe something about what happened to her/what she was involved with before Gorse.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.