main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Here Without You - Songfic. Awards winner. Thanks guys.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Tahi, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Title Here Without You
    Author Tahi
    Genre Songfic
    Characters It won't take you long to figure it out.
    Acknowledgments The Star Wars consortium and Three Doors Down. Also Bria for bringing the song to my notice in the first place. :)

Okay, okay - you can probably guess who this is about. ;) The idea for this came to me recently when I was listening to the radio in the car and Three Doors Down were playing their latest song. I'm new to songfic writing, so if this is a bit odd you can attribute it to me finding my way with the genre. I'm not sure about the lyrics in the sense that I'm not sure how accurate the version I'm using is - but anyway, here goes.

HERE WITHOUT YOU

A hundred days had made me older
    Since the last time that I saw your pretty face

It was a strange feeling to get used to, he decided, this other wordly continuation of his life - this realm beyond the physical. If he'd been asked to explain it, he would have likened himself to a beam of light that had been refracted as it travelled through a lens and was now forced to travel slowly as it navigated its new medium. His body was no longer corporeal, and yet it existed in an illusory manner, as did those of the others he had met since he had been here. When he looked back he couldn't see the dividing line - the refraction point. He could only sense it. On the other side was life, or at least what he had once thought of as life. On this side - what others referred to as death.

Death was not something he had feared, indeed at the end he had embraced it willingly - a welcome refuge from the maelstrom as the living Force filled him with its glorious energy and burnt his frail flesh as a living sacrifice. Yet, by the same token, death was not something he had thought much about - not seriously anyway. There had always been too much to do, too much to strive for, too many things that he had wanted to be part of.

He had seen others die - many, in fact - some whom he had mourned deeply. As the war progressed he had learned to accept death, had even convinced himself at one point that he was used to it. But this, he realised now, was a delusion. It was merely his survival instinct at work - his means of cauterising the raw edges of the emotional wounds. He knew in truth his every action had been directed towards ensuring that the galaxy he knew and loved survived. And he had disproved his own feigned acceptance, anyway, when the Force had whispered to him about the danger threatening his best friend. Had he stopped to analyse and rationalise it? Of course not. He'd barely stopped to pack. No, death - because that had been his first fear for her when the warning had come - was to be resisted at all costs when it preyed on those he loved. He hadn't been able to countenance the thought of his family and friends lying cold and lifeless. Most of all he hadn't wanted to imagine living without Tahiri, and having her thoughts and her warmth lost to him forever.

And yet, here he was - without her. Here he was - not living, and yet in some ways no different. Here he was - in other ways vastly changed. One hundred days had passed in the world he'd left behind, one hundred nights when he could have held her, laughed with her, anticipated making her truly his. But in his world there was no day and night. There was only the infinite present and the endless light.

A thousand lights had made me colder
    And I don't think I can look at this the same

No, even if he had made time to think about death, he would never have imagined it being like this. Cold was not quite the right word, and yet it was difficult finding one that could evoke precisely how he felt. Sometimes he wasn't sure himself. Distanced? Well, yes, obviously. Cleansed? Definitely. Purified by the white fury of his passing. He felt no hatred towards those who had severed his connec

2. Rogue_of-Peace

Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    ::checks author name:: Nope! :D

Nice, but I must admit I treat songfics like vignettes, and skip over the lyrics. I liked the conversation between the Anakins.

3. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Hi Rogue - how did Physics go? I guess "you're clear to go" now in the words of Shihad.

You didn't read the lyrics!!! But, but, I worked SO hard to forge links between the way the song was phrased and the story. ;) Actually, I WAS a bit worried people might find my view of Jedi death a bit odd.

Thanks for reading anyway - I guess you'll have time to update your story now - nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more :)

4. Rogue_of-Peace

Mar 7, 2002
    Finished today, check my thread (probably couple pages down) for writing status update.

Read the lyrics (by themselves). Cute how you linked the lyrics directly to the words on the paragraph.

Main reason I don't read lyrics because I don't know the songs. I listen to 93.4 FM, 60s and 70s, Eagles, Queen, Simon/Garfinkle, etc. Don't believe I've ever heard this one.

EDIT: Irony sets in: I'm listening to nudge nudge wink wink right now :) .

5. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Really! Wow - that IS ironic.

Classic Rock radio - most excellent, dude. I LOVE Queen - I cried when Freddie died. One day I'm going to England and write on the message wall near his house. A friend who went to Montreux a couple of years ago sent me a postcard of his statue. You have good taste, Rogue. I used to be able to play Simon and Garfunkle's stuff on the guitar once. I like "I am a Rock". (A good theme song for a Coral Skipper actually.) Which NZ groups do you like BTW?

Have you seen the big Python autobiography in the bookshops? It's huge - and very funny.

Yes, the problem with songfics is the lyrics rarely match exactly the situation you're relating them to, so I had to work at the connections with this one. This is Three Doors Down - there's a video of this that they play sometimes on C4 on the TV.

I'll check out your thread. :)

6. Rogue_of-Peace

Mar 7, 2002
    I must admit, I don't know many NZ groups. I like an eclectic amount of music, but only really starting to care about specific bands and time periods this year.

Coincidentally (again!) at our annual House Music competition our Small House (Major) group sang "I am a Rock". Don't ask how we did. I swear the judges were biased against our house, stupid ***** :mad: .

Apart from my favourite, Sounds of Silence, one of the best I think is Homeward Bound. ::flicks iTunes on to play song::

I'm sitting in the railway station,
    got a ticket for my destination.
    Mmmmm
    On a tour of one night stands,
    my suitcase and guitar in hand.
    And every stop is neatly planned
    for a poet and a one man band.

Home, where my thoughts escaping,
    Home, where my musics playing,
    Home, where my love lies waiting silently for me.

EDIT: In response to below joke. [face_plain] Not even worth a post to comment on. :p

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Argh! Stupid judges. Oh no, I feel a "sticks and stones" joke coming on - must resist . . . . There - resisted it. I don't suppose one of your group had a gravelly voice did he? ;) Oh dear - I think it's late.

We like a lot of NZ muisc, in fact we love music in general. Two of my kids are quite musical, one is in several Jazz bands and is just starting a Rock group. The other has a good voice and plays a few instruments as well. I love music but sing and play enthusiastically but very badly. :) The dog sings quite well though. She likes that song - "Who let the dogs out?"

Edit: Yes, BAD joke. But it IS late.
    Ah - I like Homeward Bound too, and Sounds of Silence. I must dig out the old S and G LP with all those songs on it. :)

8. puppyglo

puppyglo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2003
    This was very sweet. Good job!

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks, puppiglo. :)

10. forceaddict

forceaddict Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2002
    that was a good song fic

and i really like that song

poor A/T

11. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    And I thought it was another fanfic of grieving Tahiri. As for Anakin, hopefully when Tahiri arrives, she'll appear as a beautiful young woman. Then they can take up where they left off.

12. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    force Yep, it is a good song. I like 3DD. :)

JA I thought Tahiri was the obvious choice so I chose the other. More of a challenge. ;) And Tahiri will always be beautiful to Anakin, no matter how old and wrinkly she gets. :) That's true love.

13. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    <---Wipes eyes

OK, Tahi I have a real problem with you...I'm running out of compliments! You are one of two authors who prompted me to get my board account and I'm running low on original comments lol! This was beautiful, not exactly original but very true nonetheless. I could ramble on but hopefully by now you know what I think of your work, thanks for writing this.

BTW: Having read "Between Us" you know my feelings about having both Ani's together.[face smile] Oh, and your a fan of William Blake's philosophy and 3DD! JD<--Bows before a woman with taste lol!

JD.

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Arise, Sir JD. LOL Seriously, thanks. I was trying to relate the actual song lyrics to the nature of Anakin's death. Yes, I was probably trading on some of the "writing about death" conventions - sort of hard not to. Plus there were some allusions to two of the more well-known biblical chapters which I hope came through to anyone tuned into that.

Yes, I thought you'd like the idea of Anakin talking to his granddad. I also thought Ikrit had to be there, too. I was going to have Daeshara'cor as well, but I decided that it was beginning to become too much like a Cecile B. Demille (spelling?) movie!

Mmm - Blake is the most interesting of the Romantics IMO. Shelley's too much of a spoilt kid, Byron's too narcissistic, and Coleridge is just plain weird. I don't mind Wordsworth at times, although he does go on so. ;) Keats is good, but over-rated I think, although his language is often incredibly beautiful. "Seasons of mist and mellow fruitfulness . . . " Wonderful stuff.

I quite like the pre-Raphaelites, but I think Hopkins would be my favourite 19th century poet. There again, some of Hardy's poetry is lovely. And I don't mind Arnold, and some of Tennyson's, although he sometimes gets a bit too pompous. I do like Browning - especially "My Last Duchess". Chilling.

I'm not so familiar with the American poets, but I do like Dickinson and some of Whitman's. :) Oh dear - rambling again, but as you can see, I DO like poetry. I just wish I could write it. Elfsheen writes lovely little poems - a little Dickinson-ish actually. She's got some on the Boards here. :)

15. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Awww... :_|

That was brilliant, Tahi! And I'm glad that you went against the norm and wrote it from Anakin's POV. :)

All this talk about poetry, and the only poet I recognize is Dickinson. (I think :confused:) 8-}

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks Whitey - it was the reference to "girl" in the lyrics that made me decide to write from Anakin's point of view.

Yes, sorry about the rant - but I am quite passionate about poetry. I'm a bit more familiar with 20th century American poets than 19th century ones. ( I like Stevens and Frost and Berryman, even when he was being a self-indulgent twerp. :) )

17. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Brilliant, as usual. Running out of compliments, as usual. Anxious for more, as usual.

~*Ambyr-Rose*~

18. _Jedi_of_Destiny_

_Jedi_of_Destiny_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2003
    Aw, Tahi, I loved it. I didn't think your view of Jedi death was odd at all and it seemed perfect for this piece. It was very well written and I liked all the descriptions. It seemed to flow nicely.

I loved how it was from Anakin's POV. It was typical Anakin. Wanting to rush in help but yet this time not being able to. Forcing him to have faith in the strength of his loved ones.

Well done. :)

19. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Wow. That was good. I like it. :)

Gasp! Kiwis! :D No, I'm not from NZ, but I'm obsessed with the place, and my favourite actor's technically from there. And my favourite movies were filmed there. :)

Dana

20. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Thanks guys. You make it all worthwhile.
    Ambyr :D Having broken the ice, so to speak, with the songfic thingee, I do have a few ideas for others. They're kind of fun - different but fun - a bit like a good crossword puzzle to make all the lyrics fit.

Destiny Hi - how's things. :) Thanks. That's good - I'm glad my interpretation wasn't odd. You never know with a subject like death.

Yes, Anakin is still recognisably Anakin. I like to think of death as yet another stage and so there's still room for growth. And I think that the Jedi who have left their physical state would still be in the Force and so therefore still able to add to its power.

DantanaSkywalker What a lovely name. :) And welcome to the world of a crazy Kiwi SW fan. ;)

Your fave wouldn't be Russell Crowe would it? I gather you're a LotR fan. We live near one of the places they filmed that. Mind you NZ is so small I think most NZers could make that claim. ;)

Any time you want to chat about things NZ feel free to drop in to one of my threads or PM me.

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Just a little upsy before I head off to celebrate Australia NOT winning the World Cup - Mwahahaha :D ;)

Seriously, congrats to England - it's good to see the honours being shared around the world.

22. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Nope, not Russell Crowe.

Craig Parker. :D

And yes, I ADORE LOTR. :)

Dana

23. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Ah - Craig Parker. I had also wondered if it was Martin Henderson who has developed in a rather delicious way over the last few years. They both made their names here in soap called Shortland Street.

Yup, LotR has become an all-pervasive influence here. It's probably because NZ is so small and you really can't avoid not knowing or being related to so many people. One of my uni friends was one of the artistic team for the film - he'd done his BA Hons in Old English and Icelandic and also does re-enactments of the old battles. He knows how to make chain mail and weapons and so they hired him. His partner ended up helping as well.

Then one of my uni students last year had been an Orc and she had us in stitches one day telling us about the fun they had doing the battles. Apparently their initial costumes were so heavy that the smaller Orcs kept falling over and becoming cast like helpless sheep. Not exactly the image of fearsomeness they were trying to achieve. LOL

I guess you'll be looking forward to RotK. :)

24. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Oh, yes. I'm very eager for ROTK. Even if PJ killed Haldir.

I'm currently very into a show called "Mercy Peak". Craig's on it. (He's also the reason I started watching it, but now I'm hooked.)

Not into rugby, though I DO tell all the football players around here that they're wussies and need to play a real sport, like rugby. [face_laugh] That won me points with the quarterback, lemme tell ya. . . . On second thought . . . he DID ask me out after I told him that . . . LOL

I know the niece of one of the guys at Weta, and she's told me some pretty amusing stuff.

Dana

25. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Ah, more superb A/T fanfiction from Tahi. Life is good. 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.