main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC HEY AUSTRALIA

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, May 31, 2015.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes, because you can be 'illiterate' and go to university in the 70's :rolleyes:

Abbott is borderline scientifically illiterate, only successful because he panders to right-wing populists and is a cunning opposition leader. Turnbull is leagues beyond Abbott intellectually. Abbott is only Prime Minister because of his absolutely gutter politics.

Well she was technically the second time, no matter the political jockeying. The fact that the conservative independents refused to support Abbott is actually far more telling.

I must say I agree with all of this, excluding the republican thing.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Good lord, I know all about Howard and Rudd and Gillard and Abbott. They're all heads of government for goodness sake! :p I know Howard and Abbott to be proper monarchists -- the former defeating that nonsense republican poll and the latter restoring knighthoods, while I know Gillard had to eat crow about her republicanism.

I meant specifically the opposition you were referring to -- so Shorten and Plibersek on the one hand and Turnbull on the other. But thank you for that, I'd only heard of Shorten of the three and not with any particular context.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Philosopher, Gillard formed government by securing seats outside her party and to govern in coalition. She wasn't elected, she merely could forge an alliance to satisfy the constitutional test.

GrandAdmiralJello, Mr Turnbull speaks like a proper Australian ought to.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The thing is, if he were to take the reins of government, he might think a conciliatory move would be to re-abolish knighthoods, yes? We can't have that.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't see support for a Republic gaining ground though.

a) It makes us more like you lot, and
    b) People quite like the way things are now.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure, I think William and Catherine have done a wonderful job in restoring support for the monarchy in Australia. But the knighthood thing is one Abbott move that was publically derided and I don't see it surviving his government, which is very sad. I think the idea is that it is associated with being silly and that's a pity, because true recognition for public service is rare.

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    If there is support for an Australian republic, I would say much of it may stem from those who dislike Tony Abbott and and their dislike of his recent Australia Day salute extended to Prince Philip rather than their critique or knowledge of procedural formalities associated with the intricate political system we have (such as Royal assent).

8. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    By that standard many western governments (especially in Europe) are never elected since they often rule through coalition.

Becoming a Republic (or at least the model most proposed) would change essentially nothing in the actual process or structure of our government.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok so who would appoint the President? :)

10. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    The President would just be the new name for the Governor-General, so the power would transfer to the Parliament, and probably a council appointed by the states.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, so now the capacity exists for the Crown to decline the Prime Minister's recommendation for Governor-General. In one circumstance that I can recall, the Crown appointed someone else entirely rather than what the Parliament recommended.

So you want to take a position which is non-partisan and politicise it?

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    They also dismissed a Prime Minister from a non-constitutionally recommended source.

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It wouldn't be politicised or partisan if it required a 2/3 majority of both houses of parliament and the support of a state council. It would be even less partisan than it is now, since the monarch almost always accepts the appointment the Prime Minister suggests, only not doing once before (because of the British government I might add).

Something a President can also do.

14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

By "can" do you mean "legally" or "mentally able"?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Pretty sure Sections 57 and 64 of the Constitution disagree.

16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I really don't see the benefit there is to the monarchy, since it performs no real practical function in our government apart from the appointing the Governor-General, something we can easily do ourselves without falling into partisanship.

I'm saying the situation would likely not change if the monarch was removed.

17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Possibly. But you could incorporate those changes into the same referendum for a republic. I think a change to that policy is worth considering

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Please. Look at the clowns we have now and tell me we can be trusted.

Right now, we have extremely close cultural ties with Britain - which will not change - but the added advantage of remaining in the Commonwealth as well as having a theoretically impartial actor in state affairs.

Most analysts think the "washminster" system we have - a bicameral parliament with Washingtonian houses - is one of the best in the world. Any change would do nothing more than solidify an already concrete notion. It would be an exercise in futility the likes of which we've not seen before.

19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm not a monarchist at all but think the whole republican issue is a bit of a waste of time and money - why bother changing it? I just can't see that there is anything to be gained. I'm also not ashamed of our colonial past and so have no objection to the union jack on our flag. It's part of our history and I don't feel we are insecure as a nation that we have to take steps to separate ourselves from our past.

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm for keeping the Monarchy because the Governor General helps to keep our government in check in addition to the minority in the House of Representatives. Additionally, the drive for a republic just seems to develop from the mentality that we somehow become more Australian by removing the Queen as Head of State. It does not. It merely clears a Constitutional formality and alters the top left hand side of our flag. As mentioned, there as worse systems than The Washminster hybrid.

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Agreed.

Well we can remain in the Commonwealth without having a monarchy, nor would we necessarily abandon our current system of government, rather we would just transfer the power of selecting our Head of State. This notion that somehow the monarch is this impartial actor who actively keeps our political players in check is a false one since she wields no real power - in a system where the Governor-General with bi-partisan support the position would serve as an impartial actor. The shifting to a Republic would solidify our independence as a people.

I agree that it is probably a non-issue - still the principle stands. How you can't feel shame at our colonialism in at least some aspects is strange however. We said sorry for a reason.

22. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    But if Australia becomes a republic, the royals won't need to visit any more and that is sad. :(
    #therealpriorities

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    How about a compromise; a People's Republic?

JediYvette likes this.
  24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

I'm sure Princess Mary will still drop by.

25. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yeah I was referring more to the fact that we were founded as a British colony rather than how we treated Aboriginal people. Clearly that is a shameful aspect of our past and continues to be to this day. I actually worked as a native title lawyer in Queensland so I am pretty familiar with the history.

Ender Sai likes this.