main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hey mister, can I have my balls back please?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by George_Roper, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    =D==D= for the Mod Squad!

I know I'm just echoing what everybody else said, but it just really does "warm my heart" to see the mods make a good decision and reverse something that was wrong. :)

I think this calls for celebration! :D

[image=http://forums.e-mpire.com/images/smilies/djparty.gif]

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Good question, especially when you have to be 13 to register here.

3. GreatTarzan

GreatTarzan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I rather pointless question as you know, Tunick. Besides actually looking through all 216,934 of the usernames on these forums, and even at that trying to confirm the truth behind the age actually listed, not much else can be done besides guesswork, hmm?

Unless there's a magic mod button. :p

But, perhaps you asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should fall under a more general query to the userbase- Who is attracted to these boards because of its family-friendly atmosphere and rules?

Not everyone wishes to see filth (whatever form it may take, whether it be in your face or small, inconsiderate words).

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    And not everyone's interpretation of "filth" is the same.

Once again, whether or not thw word balls is allowed, is really a small issue. However the reasoning behind it's initial place on the no-no list, suggests that other words that don't seem to offend the majority, can and possibly will be put on the list on a simple whim.

5. GreatTarzan

GreatTarzan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Which is why I said "whatever form it may take". What I meant by that was in whatever form it may be viewed at by people. :)

And I have no qualms with the balls debate; just questioning Tunick's question. :p

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    At then end of the day all that matters is the he wants it to remain family friendly. He doesn't ask us to count 13 year-olds, and all that good stuff. This is the guidelines set out for the administration.

Who knows? If we ask him about individual words like "balls", we would maybe get more added. ;) [face_worried]

Just like the rating system of movies and their reasoning, there's an overall general atmosphere that we'd like to keep up and there are some things that it entails (see my message above - by MIAA standards we're basically an R board in most aspects, esp in JCC) and that will never change. If you are looking for TFN to become super edgy and do some of the things that other boards do along those lines as far as profanity, etc., well... don't. That's not the direction this forum would ever, ever go in. There are a lot of SW boards that allow profanity, yet this one remains the largest SW fan site on the net. Including the OS. I don't think we're running off people in droves because they can't cuss.

7. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Great point Rhonda. One thing to remember is that the owner of this site would not allow that sort of stuff here at all. He is the one who sets the precidence for these forums being family friendly. We, as mods/managers/administrators do our best to uphold his expectations.

8. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    And you think "balls" is offensive, and yet "butt" is not?

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    You aren't picking a fight, by chance are you JuJu? ;)

10. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Not at all, I'm just pointing out that different people get offended by different things.

One day it's "balls", which doesn't seem to offend the majority of users here, and the next day it could possibly be something like "butt".

I'm certainly not starting anything with DB, because I think he's a great moderater, and a good guy.

I was just pointing out that if the administration is going to take an incredibly anal stance on certain words, that "butt" might end up on the cutting room floor sooner or later.

11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Hey, Tunick, did you know that there are thousands of message boards on the internet? If people don't like the "family-friendly", they can find a new board, regardless of how old the majority of the posters are.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    But Juli, we're talking about "Balls" in this thread, and I think we're almost at the end of this debate. ;) Let's not try not to keep dragging the argument out, c'mon. Please? :)[face_batting];)

13. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm totally fine with this discussion being over, but if someone on the staff is going to bring up the "owner's wishes" on how the boards are run, I have to ask..... was Phillip Wise ever in on any of this discussion?

Or, was the policy(which seems to have been decided on, so that's over)based on interpretation of what his bi-yearly posts would indicate he wants the site to be?

14. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Thanks Juli [:D] I appreciate that! :D You too.. I always look forward to reading your posts.

But I highly doubt that "butt" would ever end up on on the cutting room floor. "Ass" is allowed and it's certainly way more offensive than butt would ever be. Besides, we're not sitting around looking for more words to add to the list. ;) We think the current list is just a great guideline of what is and what not is appropriate.

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I think you'll find that had we asked him specifically about the word... it would still be on the list. But we can ask him if you'd like. :D

Okay, kidding. No, we don't bring him in on profanity, but he explicitly says and has said many times he wants the family-friendly atmosphere upheld on here.

And I really think we can come to any other issues with the list if they come up. There's no sense arguing about something that hasn't been done, yet. It looks like we're just looking for something to argue about, and I'm a bit taken aback... that I've never seen that happen here. :p

16. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    [:D]

I know, I'm just saying that what is considered vulgar can be kind of a tricky subject. I don't think balls, or butt is offensive. However, I think the majority of users here don't find either offensive, but you can't please everyone all the time.

I think this thread has been a highly positive line of communication, between the admin and the users, in the long run. :)

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    How on earth can ass and butt be allowed and there even be a debate about balls?

Juli FTW.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Yes, I am quite aware. Thank you for telling me these things. :p

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    You are welcome, sir. I am always available for assistance, sir.

20. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Hello all. Thanks for your patience. As promised, the mods discussed what we felt would be a statement of context for the use of the words balls, nuts, and bollocks. The following now applies:

Words are not to used in an inappropriate sexual manner. Overuse in a thread or post, as in repetition or continually making off-topic posts simply to use the words, will be considered spam. Use of the words will still be subject to case-by-case judgement for any inappropriateness due to context.

All of the mod's PM boxes are open for any and all questions you have or clarifications you may need. It's straightforward. What we ask is that you respect that the discussion of whether or not to allow the words is behind us and over. The words are allowable. If it turns back into what it did the past day or two then we'll have to lock it. None of us want to do that. Just use common sense. That's all it is. Thanks. :)

21. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Thanks, mister.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well done ladies and gents, good to know that it's all sorted out to everyone's satisfaction :)

23. DARTH-SHREDDER

DARTH-SHREDDER Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 6, 2005
    Woah, really? I knew our forums were bigger than the OS's, but the site in general is too?

24. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    The Official Site isn't a fan site. ;)

25. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That sounds reasonable. Good work. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.