main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

High Poly Yoda: Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by blazer003, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Wow really awesome. Looks a lot more like Yoda then the model ILM made for ep2 and ep3.

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Very nice work - keep it up!

3. LInk291

LInk291 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    somethings just naggin at me about his body...even tho Yoda is small *to say the least* his body is still in partial proportion to his head size. i dont know it its me but it looks like Yoda's had his head cut off *any immortals in the room?* and had it glues onto some little grogs body.

to me it looks like you need to stretch his main trunk a little more, a little longer, a little wider, then shorten the legs by a couple of inches *i know its 3d, but its the best description i can give*. his hands also need a little..scale.

as i said, this is just whats naggin in the back of my head, i could be completely wrong. other than this its a brilliant model, far far far better than the gremlin we had in ep1, and closely catching up to the CG Yoda. Well done.

LInk291

4. blazer003

blazer003 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2004
    Thank you all for the comments. Last week I didn't have a chance to work on him at all, unfortunately, between midterms and work. But this week I Will try to make some changes to him to reflect the majority of comments that you have given me.

Longer Torso
    Shorter legs
    bigger hands
    maybe a little pudgier

We'll see how it goes.

5. HowardFilms

HowardFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Good Luck.

6. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    When this Yoda gets done...will his clothe be easy to render? Cuz I knwo the other one used Simcloth from MAX 5 and it tokk forever to render.

~Rory

7. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    fireresq7: Well, I have been debating long and hard on how I am going to do this. Since I am doing this in Blender, softbodies are about to come out in this next 2.37 release of Blender. This system will basically treat a standard mesh like cloth, however from the tests that I have done so far in the test builds, I am going to have to develop a good technique for keeping animation speedy. When it is converted to 3ds and all the rest, then people will unfortunately have to find their own cloth solutions. It may turn out that my first release will be realeased without having animateable cloth at all, if 2.37 does not come out soon. I will then update it later with animateable cloth. I have never really modeled cloth before, so this may

A. Be an interesting experience in my modeling career
    and
    B. Take a while =)

Thanks for your interest and I'll hopefully have updates soon.

8. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    What is the deal with that other nice looking Yoda on SciFi? Any news on whether a model is coming?

9. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    Well, just another quick update. I got his under tunic modeled. I've made some body alterations since the last post. He doesn't have sleeves because I think they might get in the way when I try to animate him, in case you were wondering. Next I'll be doing the cloak.

[image=http://img168.echo.cx/img168/7874/fullbodyclothes2side1if.jpg] [image=http://img210.echo.cx/img210/4264/fullbodyclothes25an.jpg]

10. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    very nice! How long are your render times for those?

11. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Very nice update Blazer - keep it up!

12. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    Render times are only about a minute for those. There is no texture on him other than procedural, which are internal Blender textures. Once I do a full, hi resolution texture on him and alpha map his clothes, and do alpha mapped hair, render times will unfortunately increase greatly. I'm working on his hair right now. I'll post an update when I have a satisfactory enough result to show.

I also have finshed a very basic cloak, but I want to work on it as well before I post progress.

13. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    Yeah it's pretty sweet, can't wait to see how it turns out.

14. Sith3D

Sith3D Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    Wow blazer I love your yoda. Cant wait to see more! Are you gona make him a little lightsaber?

15. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    he has a newer update with the cloak...wonder where it is ;)

16. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    Yeah, I do have an update with the cloak, but it is a very basic cloak. Not to worry, I am finding a little time to work on it (finals and final projects for school have been eating up a lot of time) and I will post an update soon. Once school is out, I will have time to really get down to work and get all the details right. I changed his proportions quite a bit, and added hair. Tell me what you think of the latest changes. Thanks.

-Matt

[image=http://img267.echo.cx/img267/5121/10yodahairtest9gj.jpg]

17. Brandeni

Brandeni Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2002
    not bad, some more work on the hair mabe though, looks like a bald elvis yoda a bit, mabe move it up to the top of his head more

18. Anakan

Anakan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2005
    Mesh of Shrek here? No just kidding ! Probabaly the most detail Yoda yet!

19. Ravenger

Ravenger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2005
    looking good but for some reason he seems to be a little off
    i cant put my finger on it but otherwise good job

20. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    I still wanna know about that "Yoda and the Force" model already on SciFi! What is the deal?

21. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    I think Zoo put that image there only to remind himself to e-mail the guy perodically to see if he'll release the model. I really like that one too.

Don't get me wrong, this one looks good too, but I'm a Max user and will never be able to use this "awesome" Yoda.

~Rory

22. blazer003

Jun 13, 2004
    So the last two nights I was supposed to be studying for finals and writing final papers. After about 5 minutes of that I started UV mapping Yoda :D. I would like to thank Grey Beard for his great video tutorial on LSCM over at blender3.org. Anyway, I've started the bump map and the color maps. Here are my first results. I like how they turned out so far. I still need to add more color definition to the color map, and more details to the bump map, and smooth some places (especially in his brow). The hair still needs a lot of work (that jagged edge stuff is my bas hair mesh which I forgot to make invisible for rendering.). I also gave him some plastic surgery and reformed his face again. Anyway, please let me know what you think and if you see any changes that should be made. :) Thanks.

-Matt

[image=http://img133.echo.cx/img133/8815/12texturetest1dv.jpg]

23. JeneralJarJar

JeneralJarJar Jedi Master star 1

May 1, 2003
    Hey, it looks like Yoda! :D

I would suggest increasing the bump amount slightly and adding some bigger bumps. But a great start :)

24. -OC-

-OC- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Looking good, no crit

25. HowardFilms

Apr 18, 2005
    WOW that looks awesome. I am very excited about this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.